New CPU/Mobo combination

Morphius143

Weaksauce
It has been a while since i last built a pc (i have an athlon in my big box) and have been asked to build a pc for a friend.

I have worked it all out and the budget is really really tight to get most wanted componants in... the only bit i am not sure on is is the cpu and mobo.

i have these two selected at about £80 for both (am in uk, hence the pounds)

AMD Sempron 2500+ Processor 256KB Cache FSB333 Retail boxed with 3 year warranty

Abit NF7 V2.0 nForce2 Socket A 8xAGP LAN USB2 6 ch Sound DDR400 Memory Retail Box

any one think that would be ok for a pairing, or any better suggestions for around the same kind of money

I know it wont be any Doom 3 killer but as long as it can run most new games and be no real slowpoke

thanks for any suggestions

Honestly, I think you're better off with a AMD Athlon 64 2800+ s754 and an MSI K8T Neo.

But if you must go with s462, then I would not recommend abit. Abit makes some great boards, but they're more picky than msi and asus... So if you're not prepared to mess with it a lot, I'd just rather go with the msi/asus.

I'm not familiar with pricing over in the UK, but also check out the Intel 320 Celeron D 2.4GHz. Good chip.

thanks for that advice... the celeron will go into the options pile as it ends up in about the right price range...

the amd64s double my budget... shame though... i would love to build one of those, would also love to own one of them

any one got any other suggestions (trys to avoid the amd vs intel debate)

Back