New Corsair Dark Core SE Wireless Mouse and MM1000 Charging Mousepad

Interesting thing is that the mouse is Bluetooth- but the pad doesn't have Bluetooth built in. It does have a USB 3 port that you could add a Bluetooth receiver nub to I assume, but I kind of feel that they should have put that in the mousepad, especially given that typical desktops with Bluetooth built in (say on the motherboard WiFi radio, which mine has) are placed away from the mouse pad area, with the enclosure's steel between. May or may not make a difference with response times, which would likely vary depending on local interference, something Bluetooth has been shown to be susceptible to.

If you buy the right phones, they already have qi chargers built into the backs.

In the case they don't, you can get an adapter, such as this:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61zhM7ekjDL._SX425_.jpg

99% of the time all you're looking to do is charge the phone. Just put the adapter in between the phone and any non-metallic case and it'll charge the phone while being out of sight.

Those adapters cost 5-10$. I'm sure you could sell a bunch of them to suckers for 75$, but for those who know about alternatives, it would have priced itself out of competition immediately.

See someone beat me to it. Except I was going to build mine into the case. Cases interfere with wireless charging. Still a damn skippy idea.

See someone beat me to it. Except I was going to build mine into the case. Cases interfere with wireless charging. Still a damn skippy idea.
Depends on the thickness and size of the case. If you get a decent, but thin tpu case, it works perfectly.

If you really want a case with qi built in, they make them too (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=mobile&field-keywords=iphone+6+qi+case).

But then again, just vote with your money and get a phone that has it built in (anything on this list with it being marked as "integrated" http://www.qinside.biz/en/support/qi-enabled-phones-2017) and you don't need any adapters/receivers or whatever.

Hell, you can even get a computer case with one built in (https://www.amazon.com/quiet-BGW10-...=1517598975&sr=1-1&keywords=dark+base+900+pro)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Depends on the thickness and size of the case. If you get a decent, but thin tpu case, it works perfectly.

If you really want a case with qi built in, they make them too (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=mobile&field-keywords=iphone+6+qi+case).

But then again, just vote with your money and get a phone that has it built in (anything on this list with it being marked as "integrated" http://www.qinside.biz/en/support/qi-enabled-phones-2017) and you don't need any adapters/receivers or whatever.

Hell, you can even get a computer case with one built in (https://www.amazon.com/quiet-BGW10-...=1517598975&sr=1-1&keywords=dark+base+900+pro)

Call me a tin foil hat theorist, but I think companies shy away from making phones truly robust in design. Product failure is one of the number one reasons for getting a new phone. This is because of cost of repair. Anything that increases reliability is something that could cost you money as a company if you count on your customers upgrading on a regular basis.

Ways to force upgrades:
1) Stop supporting older hardware with security updates
2) Offer new features only available with new models
3) Built in engineering obsolesce (failure)

Most android apps are pretty robust and the vast majority of apps will run on anything android 5 and up. And most people don't care about security fixes. Only nerds like us are obsessed with them.. So the software update route isn't a viable one with android phones.

Who wants to bet Apple will someday start dropping apps that were built for an older OS for compatibility reasons?

And phone mfg's are running out of new must have features for phones.

Google could care less as long as they have a good name and get to collect their data.

Last edited by a moderator:
Call me a tin foil hat theorist, but I think companies shy away from making phones truly robust in design. Product failure is one of the number one reasons for getting a new phone. This is because of cost of repair. Anything that increases reliability is something that could cost you money as a company if you count on your customers upgrading on a regular basis.
Yes and no.
A usb port can definitely lead to failure if it's overused. Thankfully micro-usb (standard on most phones) have a lot less failure points than mini usb (because the cables have those hooks which are by design made to release stress points if they're pulled hard).
But all physical connections are prone to failure.
The only good part about that on phones is that most designs use a sub-pcb that adds the usb and mcirophone on the bottom of the phone. The replacements can be found on ebay for a lot cheaper than the board that houses the cpu/disk on chip storage. In most cases to replace it with a working board, it's just a small ribbon cable that connects it and a few screws. It's a lot easier than de-soldering the usb connection component and soldering on a new one (though less cost effective if you don't factor in the time to do it).

Yes and no.
A usb port can definitely lead to failure if it's overused. Thankfully micro-usb (standard on most phones) have a lot less failure points than mini usb (because the cables have those hooks which are by design made to release stress points if they're pulled hard).
But all physical connections are prone to failure.
The only good part about that on phones is that most designs use a sub-pcb that adds the usb and mcirophone on the bottom of the phone. The replacements can be found on ebay for a lot cheaper than the board that houses the cpu/disk on chip storage. In most cases to replace it with a working board, it's just a small ribbon cable that connects it and a few screws. It's a lot easier than de-soldering the usb connection component and soldering on a new one (though less cost effective if you don't factor in the time to do it).

True, but that isn't elegant in design. You have a dongle hanging off your phone.

How many micro-usb failures have you had? I've had about 8 in my household. I've seen my kids grab a $700 tablet off a table with it still plugged in and yank the cord so hard from an angle it pulled the charger out of the wall. I don't even want to think about all the charger cables that snapped/bent around the connector till they are worthless. I'm talking dozens over the years.

That's anecdotal evidence. But I'm sure others have experienced similar.

Neat. But I'd rather just get the little charging circle and put it next to my Ratapdz XT, instead of replacing it with an inferior mousepad for the convenience of wireless charging.

So I have had this mouse on my desk since I made this post. I would highly suggest that no one currently purchase it. I don't think it has been available actually, so this may be a moot point. However, the mouse has an issue that makes it not usable currently. It loses its wireless connection constantly. Corsair is aware of this and is working to fix it. A new CUE software was just put out. I loaded that up and reflashed the mouse firmware (which is very easy to do) and it did not fix the issues. I am currently on firmware v.33 for the Dark Core SE mouse.

This is pretty painful.

I actually downgraded from a G502 Prodigy to a G203 Prodigy, US$20 on an Amazon sale. Have to say I prefer lighter, smaller mice, and if I could find a wireless one that charged automatically, I'd go for it.

I have been using this mouse since July of last year on a suggesting from guy that was an actual professional gamer for a long time.

Logitech G Pro Gaming FPS Mouse with Advanced Gaming Sensor for Competitive Play

IMG_20180219_115316.jpg

It took a while to get used to, as any mouse does, because it is a bit narrow for my hand, but I like it.

Back