New Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO X bracket for AM4

pgaster

[H]ard|Gawd
The original Hyper 212 EVO AM4 bracket only allowed the cooler to blow up or down. This is bad for sleeve fans, which the 212 EVO comes with.
Old bracket: https://store.coolermaster.com/amd-am4-upgrade-kit

I just noticed they have a new bracket now, which is a variation of the old X style that comes with the 212 EVO standard. It will allow the cooler to be mounted so it blows air right to left. This is much better for a sleeve bearing fan.

Also included are 4 new stand offs that must be used with the new bracket. You have to take off the plastic retainers on top of the board to put in these new stand offs.
New bracket: http://www.cmstore.eu/cooling/amd-am4-upgrade-kit-air1-xclip-rr-am4b-h212-s1/

I just picked up this new one at my local Mirco Center. They had tons of them. It seems work fine, just like the old X bracket we all know and are used to using. I haven't done any real testing, but it should work a bit better than the Ryzen stock cooler.

The original Hyper 212 EVO AM4 bracket only allowed the cooler to blow up or down. This is bad for sleeve fans, which the 212 EVO comes with.
Old bracket: https://store.coolermaster.com/amd-am4-upgrade-kit

I just noticed they have a new bracket now, which is a variation of the old X style that comes with the 212 EVO standard. It will allow the cooler to be mounted so it blows air right to left. This is much better for a sleeve bearing fan.

Also included are 4 new stand offs that must be used with the new bracket. You have to take off the plastic retainers on top of the board to put in these new stand offs.
New bracket: http://www.cmstore.eu/cooling/amd-am4-upgrade-kit-air1-xclip-rr-am4b-h212-s1/

I just picked up this new one at my local Mirco Center. They had tons of them. It seems work fine, just like the old X bracket we all know and are used to using. I haven't done any real testing, but it should work a bit better than the Ryzen stock cooler.
Hi I just recently picked up one of these brackets from microcenter myself but am having trouble with instalation.

I'm installing this on a gigabyte gaming 3 and took the plastic retainer. I screwed the new standoff in, but it does not sit flush and is loose. Do you have to use a new backplate for it? I'm still using the stock one.

I didn't notice any problem. Also I didn't use the Cooler Master backplate at all, just the one that the motherboard came with. I just noticed they have a video showing how to install it here, and that's what I followed. I even have that same Asus board:

I didn't notice any problem. Also I didn't use the Cooler Master backplate at all, just the one that the motherboard came with. I just noticed they have a video showing how to install it here, and that's what I followed. I even have that same Asus board:

Odd Yeah I'm using the stock backplate too but it's just not sticking having a tight fit. The backplate is just loose. I'll probably go back and see if an exchange would do anything

I think my backplate is somewhat stuck or glued to my motherboard. Maybe yours isn't and that's the reason it's loose. I don't think it's a problem though. I would almost bet that once everything is together that it will be fine. In the video you can see that the stand offs won't go down to the motherboard and hold the plate in place.

Sorry to necro a thread, but I just went through this today and what a PITA.

I've had Hyper 212's in my last 4-5 systems. I have 3 right now. Best bang for the buck cooler you can get. But, doesn't do AM4. Cooler Master offered a free AM4 adapter, just pay (I think it was $5?) shipping. I did and they sent me a new scissor X bracket and some misc parts. Put it on the shelf until I was ready... better part of a year goes by but now I'm ready for it.

I noticed the hole pattern in the Hyper 212 backplate won't fit the Asrock AM4 board, not even close. So the new scissor bracket uses the stock AM4 backplate. They shipped new nuts and such.

Immediately I noticed a problem. A huge amount of play in the lock nuts that screw into the stock backplate. I think... maybe it will tighten down and be ok. Yeah, no. I tightened that shit as far as I could and I was not pleased. A huge amount of wiggle room... there should be zero on a locked down Hyper 212 install. Hell I have used the heatsink as a HANDLE to remove and carry motherboards, that shit is so locked down. Not now, wiggle room plenty and I can push it forward and it breaks contact with the cpu. This sucks. I remount it again thinking I maybe missed something, nope.

So what I did was close the gap on the backplate under the motherboard. This could have been accomplished with some plastic washers, can't use metal on the back of the motherboard. I have none of those. But I have plenty of the thin foam sheets they ship under the motherboards in the box. Mine was pink, but who cares, it's going on the bottom. I cut out two layers of that with an exacto, and cut a hole where the backplate had one (under board ventilation?). Then I screwed the thing in as hard as I could... I did use some old motherboard standoff o-rings on the screw-nuts so not to scrape the board up.

Bingo, this did the trick. Just had to close that 1/8 inch gap. Maybe 1 layer would have been enough, but I like it tight.

Problem solved because I am a ghetto rigger... shame on Cooler Master. I mean if I had to buy a new one just for AM4, I probably would have. But don't tell us your shitty adapters will work when they don't.

While googling this I noticed a different kind of clamp that uses the plastic stock heatsink retention clips... not a scissor clip. I think they figured it out but didn't bother to tell anyone else about it.

While googling this I noticed a different kind of clamp that uses the plastic stock heatsink retention clips... not a scissor clip. I think they figured it out but didn't bother to tell anyone else about it.

I have both, and actually the one that picks up the plastic retention pieces was the first one they came out with. There is one problem with it though, the heatsink orientation. It only allows the fan to blow up or down. You can't make it go in the normal right to left way. Sure it works fine up and down, but the fan has a sleeve bearing so this is less than ideal. I'm not sure how much it would reduce fan life, but in theory it will wear out sooner.

Later on they came out with that scissor version because it lets you put the heatsink in the normal right to left orientation.

I think this is the problem you had: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-am4-motherboard-heatsink-problem,33771.html

Early on some backplates had different/wrong height inserts. Yours must have had the wrong spec ones. If you can find another backplate it might fix your issue. Well of course you technically have a solution now, but if you want to change it this might do the trick.

I have both, and actually the one that picks up the plastic retention pieces was the first one they came out with. There is one problem with it though, the heatsink orientation. It only allows the fan to blow up or down. You can't make it go in the normal right to left way. Sure it works fine up and down, but the fan has a sleeve bearing so this is less than ideal. I'm not sure how much it would reduce fan life, but in theory it will wear out sooner.

Later on they came out with that scissor version because it lets you put the heatsink in the normal right to left orientation.

I think this is the problem you had: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-am4-motherboard-heatsink-problem,33771.html

Early on some backplates had different/wrong height inserts. Yours must have had the wrong spec ones. If you can find another backplate it might fix your issue. Well of course you technically have a solution now, but if you want to change it this might do the trick.

I have actually mounted Hyper 212's in both orientations depending on the case and airflow. In one machine has a huge top opening with a 140mm exhaust fan, so I mounted it up/down like you say (fan on bottom airflow up). No issues. Been that way for 2-3 years, fan hasn't gone out or made a sound.

As the article to Tom's you link mentioned, easy to resolve with some plastic washers, but I didn't have any onhand. I could have gone to Home Depot I guess, but if a ghetto (and FREE) solution presents itself, I usually take it. :)

Back