New Construction Network Assistance

Brando457

[H]ard|Gawd
My in-laws had a home built and one of the things we requested was internet be ran to most of the rooms. We were under the impression the builder/electrician would terminate / connect all the equipment, but that is not the case.

I am familiar with running/punching ethernet jacks and making cables, but on a much smaller scale and looking for input/feedback as I've been tasked with assembling / completing the project.

Here is a photo of what I am working with

Below is the equipment I will have in the area:
> Equipment:
1. Reolink NVR (not rack mountable, will use shelf in rack)
2. TRENDnet 24-Port Cat6 Patch Panel (rack mounted)
2. NETGEAR 24-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch
4. StarTech.com 8 Outlet 1U Rack Surge Protection
5. Cable Modem (will use shelf in rack)
6. StarTech.com 8U Open Frame Rack or
StarTech.com 12U Closed Frame
(unsure if need 8 vs 12 and benefit of open vs closed.

7. 5 Sonos Amps (have dock + flexon mount for same, will not be rack)
8. Leviton 47690-G8 1 X 8 (8-Way) 2Ghz Passive Video Splitter to distribute the coax

> Bedrooms:
1. R45 Keystone Jack
2. Coaxial Female jacks.

> Telephone Jacks
1. R45 Keystone Jacks? or R11? (never wired for phone before)

In the picture I believe the electrician used blue for telephone wiring. The internet at the residence is cable modem with voice. I am not sure what I need to go from the modem to connect all the telephone lines?

The alternative to doing the rack with patch panel is I could do a shelving unit and crimp R45 connectors to each cable and just plug directly into the network switch, which is fed by the modem.

Any tips or input is greatly appreciated and thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Attachments

• IMG_5956_20200506_121432.jpg
    IMG_5956_20200506_121432.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 0
phone is RJ11 and pc is RJ45....You can do it properly by yourself....maybe even better than local joe electrician :) Trust me im an electrician and i can do it right....but i have known a few who i wouldn't trust to hookup my data cables.:) You will need to purchase a few tools if you have none.

The blue for telephone is fine (sounds like plenum cable per the color) you would just have some spare wires in worst case. I more or less did the exact same thing for my parents for there dream house long time back. :D Have fun

Btw they make these kits that test to make sure each cat wire is done correctly...I do recommend getting one. (i need to get one for my gang box as well)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-LinkMaster-UTP-STP-Wiremapper-and-Tester-62-200/100091453
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-T...CH=REC-_-plpsearch_multi-_-NA-_-202520420-_-N

Last edited:
I have punchdown, crimpers, testers, etc all that. I ran cat6 in my own home, but only did 6 terminations and a wall plate for the 6 that connects to my switch. This is a much larger scale than I've ever done. Thanks for the confidence lol

phone is RJ11 and pc is RJ45....You can do it properly by yourself....maybe even better than local joe electrician :) Trust me im an electrician and i can do it right....but i have known a few who i wouldn't trust to hookup my data cables.:) You will need to purchase a few tools if you have none.

The blue for telephone is fine (sounds like plenum cable per the color) you would just have some spare wires in worst case. I more or less did the exact same thing for my parents for there dream house long time back. :D Have fun

Btw they make these kits that test to make sure each cat wire is done correctly...I do recommend getting one. (i need to get one for my gang box as well)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-LinkMaster-UTP-STP-Wiremapper-and-Tester-62-200/100091453
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-T...CH=REC-_-plpsearch_multi-_-NA-_-202520420-_-N

I have the tester for lan, coax, etc already.

What I do not know how to do is go from the telephone out on the cable modem to the connections for the phones with the blue cable. I looked up telephone switches but it does not seem like the right thing.

I have the tester for lan, coax, etc already.

What I do not know how to do is go from the telephone out on the cable modem to the connections for the phones with the blue cable. I looked up telephone switches but it does not seem like the right thing.
It might help to have links and pictures of what your doing point a to b. As a whole if you put the same wire on same points on both ends....it will work

Some data jobs get an actual rj45 jack on each end...just do the ends the same and it will work
Rj11 shouldn't be any different....just will have spare conducters on each end

Sorry I don't have readily access to the location, but what I am asking is this

Cable Modem has R11 jack for output.

I take the blue ethernet and punch it down to a CAT5 keystone.

So now I have all the telephone wirings on cat5 keystones. How do I connect say the 4 telephone Cat5 keystones to that SINGLE output on the modem? Does a network switch also do telephones? (i've only ever used for internet/ethernet).

If your going from punch down to jack I can see where it gets slightly confusing trying to get same on both ends

Sorry I don't have readily access to the location, but what I am asking is this

Cable Modem has R11 jack for output.

I take the blue ethernet and punch it down to a CAT5 keystone.

So now I have all the telephone wirings on cat5 keystones. How do I connect say the 4 telephone Cat5 keystones to that SINGLE output on the modem? Does a network switch also do telephones? (i've only ever used for internet/ethernet).
I have to think about that...I'd not sure and would have to read up on that question

If not how do I go from the R11 output on cable modem to the CAT5 cable that they ran for phone? Alternative methods welcomed.

If not how do I go from the R11 output on cable modem to the CAT5 cable that they ran for phone? Alternative methods welcomed.
ok for one thing a rj11 can actually plug right into a 45jack if lined up properly...your deal is you trying to do a different jack type on each side, and that part is confusing of course. (understandably) im trying to pull up info.....seems like if you lined it up, like if you had a rj11 on both sides...see if i can find a picture

unnamed.jpg

might help and might not....well find something :)

Last edited:
leave service loops. when you fuck up you will have a coil in the back that you can uncoil some slack from.

also for going walls i have been doing cat5e for cameras and cat6a SFTP fully shielded twisted pairs. its VERY similar to cat 7. i got reel off fs.com for like $120 once but, even at $350 a reel the shit is going in your walls and frames FOREVER. fully shielded twisted pairs is pretty much IT for cross talk and interference reduction. you have to make sure your setup is grounded though! shield act like antennas when not grounded. it does 10g and 25g but, really the shielding is good thing alone.

if you already ran un shielded cat6 it can 2.5g aka multigig which shouldn't be too bad either.

1Gbps is about 120 MBs so if you have network RAID share or SSD share you cna get more speed with multigig or 10g so not a BIG deal but, 20 years when your trying to get your food synthesizer to zap a a cup of earl grey out of thin air it might need 10g

YES you can put rj11 in rj45 jacks! at work it's punched down standard Ethernet aka T568-B pinout and the 2 center pins i forget what colors those are. but, basically no special wiring. WITH special wiring you can run multiple phone lines through one Ethernet cable.

i also suggest keystoneS and modular patch panel

https://www.amazon.com/C2G-03858-16-Port-Keystone-Multimedia/dp/B0002GWPTG/

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-50-Pack-Keystone-Punch-Down/dp/B00LPK5W66/

anything breaks, punch it down and pop in a new keystone OORRR

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Keystone-Insert-Coaxial/dp/B0100R444U/

https://www.amazon.com/VCE-Keystone-Adapter-Pigtail-Extension/dp/B07B2S2VYQ/

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I figured it out thanks to reddit you put this https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/311hwmXS5sL._AC_.jpg in the telephone out end of the modem then you can use this wire (RJ11 6P4C to RJ45) then connect that to the patch panel and bam all is well (in theory, results to follow)
311hwmXS5sL._AC_.jpg
Male to 5 Female Outlet Ports Socket Telephone Phone Cable Line Splitter Adapter ?
https://www.amazon.com/GFORTUN-Fema...ds=phone+jack+splitter&qid=1588897121&sr=8-16 is this your link? You might just had the different picture/device, Because that doesnt look like what you were needing?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just wonderful. I don't see labelling on any of those cables. Good luck spending the time to figure out which cable is which :(
The builder should have had a low voltage contractor for this who not only ran the cables properly but also would do the terminating to keystones in each location and label the cables properly. For all the ethernet, coax, and phone lines. Hopefully, the unqualified person who ran the cables did it well enough not to damage them or be out of spec.

Just wonderful. I don't see labelling on any of those cables. Good luck spending the time to figure out which cable is which :(
The builder should have had a low voltage contractor for this who not only ran the cables properly but also would do the terminating to keystones in each location and label the cables properly. For all the ethernet, coax, and phone lines. Hopefully, the unqualified person who ran the cables did it well enough not to damage them or be out of spec.

Yeah I don't see any either, the electrician ran all cables.... to say this project was a shit show is an understatement.

Are the power outlets for the hub closet on their own breaker or did they get added to a string of outlets? 1500W hair dryers often result in unplanned router reboots.
Hope the electrician apprentice didn't use too much hammer when stapling the cables in place.
Is the drywall up in the rest of the house? If not - I would test all the cables before it goes up in case one got smashed.
What kind of cable was ran for the data side? 5, 5e, 6?

I actually have a network test kit with the r45 labeled 1-20 I can put in the outlets to label them later on so not too worried about that.

Yes I specifically had him run it's own circuit for the equipment. All walls are completely closed except this small corner. The builder finished the walls in the garage but this one.

So I got majority of the cables punched down and setup nicely.

One cable though is giving me issues. I use my network tester on it and it shows 4 & 5 open. I replaced both keystone jacks and tested again with same reading.
Any advice/tips?

Another weird issue my network identifiers for some reason 3 of the cables would not identify with the reader, but when I tested them they all passed.

So I got majority of the cables punched down and setup nicely.

One cable though is giving me issues. I use my network tester on it and it shows 4 & 5 open. I replaced both keystone jacks and tested again with same reading.
Any advice/tips?

Another weird issue my network identifiers for some reason 3 of the cables would not identify with the reader, but when I tested them they all passed.
sounds like the dumbo electricians damaged the wire with a staple or what ever....not sure how your gonna fix that without re pulling another wire.

Could I make that port potentially only 100 MB instead of gigabit?

No way I'll be able to pull a new wire unfortunately.

Personally, I would just label the cables as damaged and tuck them into the wall and not use them.

Could I make that port potentially only 100 MB instead of gigabit?

No way I'll be able to pull a new wire unfortunately.
maybe! i've heard of guys using a single cable to do 2 100mbs connections, i think you only need 4 wires, if this is true and i'm not WRONG and you have 4 working wires MAYBE!

Back