• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New Conroe build, long boot times...

Allanon

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 31, 2001
Messages
491
I am fine with the time it takes to get to Windows, but it seems so long between the time it takes to get from when you first see the GUI and the icons pop up, to the time when the system is usable.. I have disable most startup items in msconfig, ran bootvis, have two gigs of ram, a raptor HD, and it still takes about 30 seconds to get from gui to usable.

Any suggestions?
 
Is this on a brand new install? What kind of network setup do you have? I'd look into potential DNS problems.

 
Allanon said:
I am fine with the time it takes to get to Windows, but it seems so long between the time it takes to get from when you first see the GUI and the icons pop up, to the time when the system is usable.. I have disable most startup items in msconfig, ran bootvis, have two gigs of ram, a raptor HD, and it still takes about 30 seconds to get from gui to usable.

Any suggestions?
This seems to be a common issue. It takes my 3.23GHz C2D PC 30+ seconds to get into windows, where as my AMD 3000+ (2.3GHz) PC takes 15 seconds or less. Freaking weird isn't it......
 
That happened after I tried to oc a Pentium 4. I remember that changing the AV and Firewall program sped up the startup for me.

Allanon, how's the 680i? I was thinking of getting one.
 
Fantastic, easiest install I ever did.. Running at 3.2Ghz (E6300) and is very smooth... once it gets running..

Will try uninstalling Norton and seeing if thats the culprit..
 
Ran HdTach, not real familiar with HD benches, but it has me worried..

This is a 74GB Raptor...

Average Read 8.4MB/s
Random Access 8.8ms
Burst speed is only 18.1 MB/s

These numbers seem very low, something is off.. Can someone give me some help?
 
I'll run HDtach on my 74GB raptor, and report back :)
 
Could a cable be loose? Is DMA enabled? Are you running in AHCI or IDE mode if that's an option?
 
Cables aren't loose, but I am plugged into SATA3 of 6.. I will try another one next..

Looked for AHCI in Bios, couldn't find it.. I think DMA mode is enabled..

HDTAch #'s getting worse... Bout to call Western Digital
 
how are your drivers? i remember seeing someone report slow hdd speeds and then they uninstalled or installed nvidia drivers.
 
UPDATE

Sometimes, its the simplest things..

Its a bad Raptor.. I installed a 320 Seagate 7200.10 and ran HD Tach and the numbers are spot on..

Anyone have experience returning drives to Western Digital?
 
Allanon said:
Anyone have experience returning drives to Western Digital?

Yes, I suggest doing advanced shipping because they will send you the new drive first, and then all you do is just put the bad drive into the static bag+plastic casing, tape it up and send it back with the label they give you. The only real issue I have with WD is that the RMA center is about a 10 minute drive from here and they won't accept drop-off's. I had to pay UPS to ship something across town, such a waste.
 
hokatichenci said:
Yes, I suggest doing advanced shipping because they will send you the new drive first, and then all you do is just put the bad drive into the static bag+plastic casing, tape it up and send it back with the label they give you. The only real issue I have with WD is that the RMA center is about a 10 minute drive from here and they won't accept drop-off's. I had to pay UPS to ship something across town, such a waste.

I used this option when I RMA'd my 150. I just didn't want to deal with packing and such. Plus, it was cheaper for them to ship it to me, printed off my label from them and shipped it back than it was for me to just go to UPS (also known as oops) and ship it first.
 
fatez said:
Alright guys download this programs. It will help make your computer boot up faster.
http://www.soft32.com/download_19687.html

Tell me How it goes. My friend went from a 30 second with his e6400 too 22 seconds.
I can't see how this will help if TLER kicks in. But it will help in other areas to find where you are booting up slow.
 
Back
Top