New computer update problem

gkg101

Limp Gawd
Windows Update reports that its most recent check for updates is never and updates were installed never, and I should receive updates for Windows and other products from Microsoft. Update history does show many different types of updates installed, the last one being on October 18th. But when checking for updates the progress bar never stops. Maybe this is the reason a couple of new games won't start. Thanks.

is the problem on the system in you sig?

open an admin command prompt
type: net stop wuauserv hit enter
go to : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and delete everything there
go back to command and type: net start wuauserv hit enter
this will clear the windows update files and settings and hopefully will get it working correctly.

is the problem on the system in you sig?

open an admin command prompt
type: net stop wuauserv hit enter
go to : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and delete everything there
go back to command and type: net start wuauserv hit enter
this will clear the windows update files and settings and hopefully will get it working correctly.

Yes it is.
Before I take your advise, is it worth a try to install newer chipset drivers from MSI's website. I think they are newer than what was installed from the MSI DVD.

this shouldn't cause issues with windows updates but yeah you can but...
I recommend going to intel and getting their version of the chipset driver because those should be even newer than what is on msi's site. I always install the hardware manufacturers drivers. so if it has realtek sound go to realtek, if it has intel chipset or wifi go to intel etc etc.

ps: what I said to do above will only erase any updates that are stuck waiting to be installed. it wont undo any that have already been installed. it is a VERY old trick to get updates working again.

Thanks, the chipset update from MSI installed but nothing changed. Perhaps I'll try Intel next. So when I type
net stop wuauserv "System error 5 has occurred" "access denied" comes up.

you have to run an admin command prompt for it to work

To start a command prompt as an administrator (alternative method)
  • Click Start.
  • In the Start Search box, type cmd, and then press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.

Thanks for the assistance - the Command Prompt commands were successful in stopping and re-starting the service but still getting the same continuous checking for updates. I just re-checked my assertion that updates are still being installed. But that's manually i.e. Adobe Reader, etc. The last time updating was part of a Windows process was during Windows installation earlier this month when I assembled this computer.

there is nothing critical here- just a casual machine. What do you think about re-installing Windows?

yeah if you want to but i'd go to MS and get the iso creation tool so you have most of the updates built in.

That's what I'll do. If by chance something similiar happpens, what then?

just don't install any of the msi stuff incase that's causing it. but it should be fine after a reload.

Ok, hopefully Windows Update will be working and handle the updates. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Please note - the parts in my build were recommended on a website as an inexpensive Haswell refresh system with a low cost motherboard which wouldn't need a BIOS update unlike most motherboards in its catagory. I jumped at it but maybe I've a BIOS issue?

I always run the newest bios that's available. id check and update if there is newer but bios is unlikely to have anything to do with updates not working right.

Well let try to answer my question: Yes, probably - Windows behaves normally in every way so far except for 2 recent games. But before I do anything else I have to get new EYE GLASSES this week- I can barely see the screen. Using a multitouch device to type closeup is difficult. Think I need to download updates directly from Microsoft and use commands supplied here which end and re-start the update service. I'll post back. Thanks!

Also agree with others that this is not a BIOS or hardware issue.

I've had the no updates/slow updates on many Win-7 machines even with fresh installs.

This fixed it every time:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810

Download the appropriate update for your OS and then pull the network cable (or drop the wireless connection) and then reboot.
Install the update then reconnect your network connection. You may need one more reboot (don't remember off hand).

Update should be fixed now.

If you tampered with a lot of things trying to fix update and broke it, a fresh OS install should fix that.
Although get ready to install the above update manually to get auto updates rolling.

I was about try that but the update problem is occurring with many new installations of Win7

The two files unstuck Windows Update. After their successful installation using I.E and the update catalog, the normal Windows update worked. It installed about 300 updates with a few re-starts required. My computer seems to be perfect now.

Back