New Computer Suggestions...

randyc

Best Person
Hello!

I was recently asked by a family to build them two identical computers, without monitors. I'm figuring 500-600USD each computer. I'm hoping to make them AMD systems. I've been out of the loop for a while and need help. What I need here is a fast system. Something that is responsive.

I'm figuring I'll go with faster (7200rpm min.) SATA harddrives.
Any more suggestions? My hard part is figuring out which Motherboard/Processor combination to use.
Also, I'd prefer AGP over onboard. Leaves more upgrading paths.

-RandyC

i dont know the prices...but if you want to upgrade the computer then your best bet is to PCI-E

Need more info on what they want to do with them. Email? Office suite work? Gaming?

I did this for $600 my GF this christmas:

Aopen XCCube SFF PCI-Express 754 SiS barebones (supports Turion64) $175
AMD 3700 Clawhammer $140
GeForce 6600GT $125
1 gig 3200 $80
80 gig HD $50
DVD +/- RW $20
Floppy drive $10

And it's insignifigantly sized. Runs all new games. Six hundered bucks. Shipped.

defakto said:
Need more info on what they want to do with them. Email? Office suite work? Gaming?

My mistake :)

The two computers will be used for office suit work and of course the occasional email. I doubt these will ever get used for heavy gaming, but they should be able to run 'lesser' games like 3D Pinball and Majhonng. I do want to use AGP or PCI-E so we have an upgrade path as far as the video card goes in the future.
DVD Burner not needed, though a CD Burner with DVD Player would be good. Harddrives need to be no bigger than 80gbs unless its not economical to stay at that size.

I'd go with axman's suggestion myself. Though if you wanted you could pretty easily go for a mobo with everything onboard and have the agp/pci-e slot for expansion later if needed which would save another $100 on the vid card.

defakto said:
I'd go with axman's suggestion myself. Though if you wanted you could pretty easily go for a mobo with everything onboard and have the agp/pci-e slot for expansion later if needed which would save another $100 on the vid card.
Suggestions on this? Nothing crappy, preferably a brandname motherboard (DFI, MSI, something large)
-randyc

I'd go with an Asus mother board their very good and great support when i oreded my a8n a little while ago

Back