New computer problem (fresly built.)

Jimrob25

Weaksauce
I ordered a load of computer parts to put together my own gaming computer about a week and a half ago. After waiting about 4 days, all the pieces came in and I got everything installed. I loaded windows xp professional, and went to installing all the drivers and whatnot.

Processor - AMD Phenom II x 3 720 (2.8 GHz.)
Motherboard - ASUS Deluxe M4A79
Memory - 2 x 2GB OCZ Reaper HPC (DDR3 1600 PC3 12800.)
GPU - eVga 9800gtx+ superclocked
PSU - Corsair CMPSU 650watt
Seagate 320 Harddrive.

The first night I built the computer, and got everything running; It locked up and froze like 4 different times. (all while in a game.) The screen would turn pink and the sound would loop over and over again.

It stopped and I had no problems for days until last night. It did it once again randomly.

I though it was the videocard possibly overheating so I downloaded a GPU temperature program and it was sitting idle at 35 degrees.

Is there any other options I can look into? Thanks for the time in advance guys/gals.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/JimRob25/temp.jpg

[Testing the RAM]
Download Memtest+ v2.10 or whatever the latest version is, unzip it, burn the ISO file to a CD, and then boot from it, just like you would do with the XP/Vista install CD. Let Memtest+ run for at least three hours on each stick of RAM separately as well as test the RAM all together. Go for a full 24 hours if you want to be completely sure that the RAM is not a problem. If you start seeing errors, than your RAM is defective or you have incorrect settings for the RAM.

[Testing the Hard drive]
Download the CD image of Hitachi Drive Fitness Test, burn the ISO file to a CD, and then boot from it, just like you would do with the XP/Vista install CD. Test the hard drive and see if any problems are found. DFT will run on most manufacturers' hard drives. Alternatively, you can use Seagate's SeaTools for DOS to test a Seagate or Maxtor drive. For a Western Digital drive, you could use Data Lifeguard Tools for DOS to test a Western Digital drive.

[Testing the CPU]
Use Prime 95, OCCT, Orthos or Intel Burn Tool to stress test the CPU

[Testing the GPU]
Use Furmark or ATI Tool to stress test the GPU

I just got in from purchasing blank cd's, haven't had a chance to run the processor program nor the memtest. I ran the GPU program while I was away and here are the results.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7436/furmark000000.jpg

EDIT: First stick of ram, ran from 2:30central a.m. til 10:45am central time with no errors whatsoever. 21 passes. Switching to stick number 2.

Second stick of ram, ran for 10+ hours, came back clean with no errors as well.

EDIT2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227320 - link to the ram I am using. I think I listed it differently above.

The specs for your M/B say DDR2 1066, not DDR3 1600. Did you check the ASUS website to see if your ram is supported?

Memory Standard DDR2 1066*/800
*Due to AMD CPU limitation, DDR2 1066 is supported by AM2+ / AM3 CPU for one DIMM per channel only.

:eek:

DDR2 and DDR2 are both 240 pin SDRAM, correct? So the module might fit.... I am not sure....:confused:
They are 240 Pin but the notch on the RAM sticks are in different places. So DDR3 RAM will not fit into a DDR2 RAM slot and vice versa.

He must have listed the wrong version of his M/B.
There is a M4A79T that is DDR3.

just as a side note instead of blaming the memory.. check what your board is setting the default voltage to and make sure its at the spec voltage.. if its crashing during gaming its probably due to the load and if the voltage is wrong on the cpu then your system will crash.. i had this problem with my 940, my motherboard used a default voltage of 1.21v when the default is 1.31v for this processor.. system ran perfectly fine at 1.21v in winblows.. load a game up play for 10 minutes and then it would finally lock up.. so check that first before automaticly assuming its the memory..

if thats not the problem then try setting the memory to ddr3 1333 and see if its still locking up..

Sound loop is an irq conflict/sharing of the audio card and something else. Look for an audio driver update or move the irq's around in the bios. Also disable any extra devices that you are not using.

I'm surprised no one mentioned this so far. Is the motherboard PhenomII ready? You may need an older AM2 chip and flash BIOS.

How could he be running an OS, etc, with DDR3 in a DDR2 mobo?

Something isn't making sense here...

He must have listed the wrong version of his M/B.
There is a M4A79T that is DDR3.

He is correct, I made a mistake listing my motherboard model number.

I figured out my problem, I upp'd the speed of my fans, to help with the temperature my videocard was getting to. I also unclocked the videocard back to default settings and this fixed my problems.

Back