new computer no display

i finished building a new computer (my third) it is 939 amd asus motherboard sli, with a evga 7900 video card (only one). i put everything in turned on the power button everything lit up in the computer all fans came on and all optical drives booted up but there was nothing on the display, i tried 2 different displays and moved the viddeo card to the other PCI-E slot and still same problem so RMAed the video card and got a new one. THe second is giving me the same problem both slots were tried with 2 different monitors. The card is getting power b/c the fan is running. COuld it be the motherbopard PCI_E16 slots are out, or an imcompatibility problem between the 2? i was going to buy another motherboard from local compusa to try but I cannot return if it doesnt work just exchange if it is broken so i dont want to buy unless there is a chance that is the problem. Other ideas are of course welcome.
-rob

Sounds like bad RAM or dead CPU. Use only one stick of Ram and see if it will boot. Try a different CPU and see if it will boot.

why would those stop the display from coming on? thanks i will try the ram. I dont have extra cpu lying around. I cannot get even the bios to show also when i turn on the computer the drives do work so there is a connection ( i can open and close them) would these work if the cpu was bad, and why would the ram effect the display from turning on?
-rob

unless both ram are bad, i tried them seperately and no difference. I do think i saw a new clue if this helps. i am not sure it is anything. while doing the ram test i had the panel open. i heard a very fast clicking noise almost like something was hitting the fans but all wires are moved away. it did it for about 10 seconds on and off. when i switched dvi ports to check to see if monitor would come on, it clicked again for about 3 seconds. if this helps great but i dont think so.
-rob

so i used an amd chip from older computer and still nothing on the display. so could this just be an incompatibility problem or that the pci-E slots are bad?
-rob

If you have tried out both sticks of memory individually and theres still no output to video,..then try a different power supply if you have one. If you do not...then unplug the power cord to the PC and hold down the power button for a couple seconds (with nothing plugged in) so it will flush the current/voltage that is in the board. (and reseat the main/aux power plugs on the motherboard too if you want) Plug the power cord back in and see if it begins to POST. I have had that happen to me many many times...and its usually always bad memory or power...good luck.

Are you using a DVI convertor? This can sometimes cause problems
Did you try the other monitor jack?
What brand of monitors are you trying?

so i switched out the mobo board and still a no go. i tried to power supply reset and nothing happened. i do not have a power supply handy to try. Could both RAM be bad. and if so why would i not get any signal on the monitor, all it says is check your connection. no signal at all. i have tried both connectors on the video card. also i have tried 2 monitors a dell 2405 and a 17 mag the mag is vga and the dell is dvi, neither dvi nor vga work. I guess i could buy new ram but i dont understand why i wouldnt get a signal at all if the ram is bad. Also before i buy another power supply, if everything is getting a power 2 to fans working etc why would the power supply be the problem. it is sli capable should i try the other pci-e supply? thanks for the help, i appreciate all the thoughts and suggestions so keep them coming.
-rob

This is a very common issue with the NF4 boards... I'm assuming you're running an A8N-SLI?

I have some questions, some are very obvious (and I'm sorry if they insult your intelligence, but I HAVE to ask).

Do you have both the 20 pin connector (or 24pin if you have it) AND the p4 connector attached?

Do you have the GPU PCIe connector attached (if needed?)

Have you tried resetting the CMOS settings?

Are you using any "sketchy wiring" (like, self-made internal cables etc.)

Have you taken the board out and and installed ONLY the needed components (CPU, 1 RAM, GPU, PSU) on a piece of cardboard/other insulatory surface?

Try taking out the CPU, and plugging in headphones to the green port at the back, and a case speaker if you have one into the case speaker pins. Turn it on. Do you hear any beeps?

Put the CPU back in, take out the RAM, do you hear beeps?

No beeps usually means a dead board.

That's about all I can think of, here's the official ASUS response for this issue. Note, I had it twice myself...

Thank you for your support of our products!

The best way to troubleshoot a no post issue, is to completely isolate the motherboard by pulling it out of the case and place onto a piece of cardboard or static mat. The only things that you should have connected initially to the system are the videocard, memory, processor, power supply, keyboard, and an external speaker. Some systems require that you have both the EAX power (20 or 24pin) connected, as well as the 4pin 12v connection. Both must be made or else the system will not post. With the motherboard setup outside of the case, clear the cmos battery. For information on clearing the cmos battery, please reference your user's manual. After clearing the cmos, power back on the system and see if you still have the same problem. If so, then you want to try forcing a beep code by removing things one at a time, and powering back on the system to listen for beeps. Start by removing the videocard. Power on the system without the videocard installed, and listen for any beeps or errors. If you don't get beeps without the videocard, then power back off and remove the memory. Do the same thing there. Power back on and listen for beeps or errors. On older systems, you could remove the processor and get the no cpu installed. You can attempt that, but if the motherboard is a newer model, then more than likely you will not get any beeps without processor. If it comes down to all components removed and you still do not get beeps, then test the processor. If you believe that the motherboard is defective, then please contact our Customer Service Dept at 510-739-3777 option 3. You may also request a RMA online athttp://helpdesk.asus.com. At the bottom of the page click request new RMA. If you have any further problems or questions, or in need of further troubleshooting, please call us back here at the helpdesk, 502-995-0883 option 3. Thank you!

POWER SUPPLY TROUBLESHOOTING

Please check to make sure your power supply can provide enough power for your system. We recommend using power supplies that can provide these output levels:

300-Watt Power Supply
+5 Volts @ 28-32 Amps, +12 Volts @ 10-13 Amps, +3.3 Volts @ 24-28 Amps

350-Watt Power Supply
+5 Volts @ 32-38 Amps, +12 Volts @ 12-15 Amps, +3.3 Volts @ 26-30 Amps

400-Watt Power Supply
+5 Volts @ 35-40 Amps, +12 Volts @ 14-18 Amps, +3.3 Volts @ 30-34 Amps

450-Watt Power Supply
+5 Volts @ 35-40 Amps, +12 Volts @ 18-22 Amps, +3.3 Volts @ 35-39 Amps

500-Watt Power Supply
+5 Volts @ 35-42 Amps, +12 Volts @ 20-24 Amps, +3.3 Volts @ 38-42 Amps

The specific power requirements for your system will depend on many factors, chief among them being which processor and video card are installed. Newer processors with faster fsb will require more power, as will newer video cards with faster and more sophisticated GPUs. Using a more potent audio card (or using the SoundStorm or SoundMax onboard audio systems on our motherboards) or a second video card will require extra power. Installing extra case fans (more than one or two) will increase power usage, as will SCSI or ATA controller cards with extra drives installed on them. Make sure you've selected a supply with sufficient output. If you're not sure how much power you will need, please contact Technical Support at the telephone number below for assistance.

At this point your system should be stripped of most of its components. Try installing a different power supply of equal or greater power to see if the system boots. If your original power supply is underpowered then one with greater wattage should start your system. If your system still won't POST, your problem is most likely caused by the motherboard.

If you pull the motherboard out of the case and when powering on the motherboard, if the fans do no spin, then you need to COMPLETELY remove everything from the motherboard. The only things you should have connected are the cpu fan, and the power supply. MAKE SURE THE PROCESSOR IS OUT OF THE BOARD! Power back on again, and what should happen is the fans should spin and stay running until you power off the system. If the system still doesn't spin the fans, then the problem is either with the power supply, or this motherboard. Please verify that the power supply isn't defective.

If you determine the motherboard to be the cause of the problem, you can contact our RMA department to have it repaired or replaced. Please be ready with your case number and the board’s serial number, then call 510-739-3777 option 3.

Please do not respond to this email. If you need further assistance please have your case number ready, then contact Technical Support at 502-995-0883 (M-F 8:30 AM - 8:00 PM EST).

If Arcygenical's suggestions do not work...theres a good chance you have a bad board. His post says it all...once again....good luck man. ;)

**wait,...did you say you already switched out the board too and still nothing??

already put in a new mobo, new gpu new cpu and tried the ram seperately, but not 2 different pieces of ram. I havent tried replacing the psu yet, but i am still confused on how that could prevent the monitor from getting a signal. If the fans are working the floppy and dvd drive are working, and the CPU and GPU fan are working why is the psu the problem, i will ttry to get one soon but i still dont understand how that could be the problem. thanks for the help
-rob

omg i can't believe i didn't read this before.

You heard clicky noises, and now get no display, and you've replaced pretty much everything but the harddrive, ram, and psu? I put 1000$ on the PSU.

Well i've had the same problem with my A8N Sli Premium. I just got it back from RMA with an ok status on the sheet. i hooked it all up and still nothing. Replaced my psu, swapped out ram, tried a combo of video card combinations and i still get no video, post, or beeps. I ordered a new cpu and it will be here tomorrow. I'm really hoping that thats what it is.

matrix, have you tried building it outside the case? the case might be grounding it to all hell...

i don't think it is that. I had bought a Silverstone psu and hooked it up to my system. thats when the trouble started. I then took out the psu to test it on another system. i turned off the system that was working, unplugged the psu connectors, rehooked the silverstone to it and boom, checksum error and then the same problem- no video, no post, no beep, nothing. i RMA'd the mobo back to ASUS and the psu back to newegg.com. i now have a OCZ 600w psu. My new processor will be here tomorrow. i'm seriously hoping that is what is doing this. Has anyone else heard of a dead processor producing those results?

Dead processor for teh win!

I just finished installing my new FX-55 and everything is up and running just like new.

well for me it was the power supply. sorry for not getting back earlier but had to go out of town and couldnt work on it. I switched the pci-e power plug on the same PSU and it worked. I found that really streange since the other pci-e turned on the fan but the other one turned on the fan and gave me a display so i will stick with that one. thanks for all the help, i know where to turn with problems. thanks again.
-rob

Hi all,

I have a similar problem with my new build....mobo lights up and fans spin, but no noise or beeps, no signal to monitor. I have tried the above steps except I have not tried another PSU or CPU (I have not owned a desktop for over 5 years, only notebooks) so no spare parts to test. Anyone have some advice other than what has been suggested? I guess I can buy another PSU to see if that's the problem at least. I am trying to run an Abit nf-m2 nview. Thanks.

psu makin any noises?

and did you try the cmos jumper? your problem seems like the kind that could be sorted out that way...

In this case it was a power cable and not the PSU itself, in more and more of these cases with any NF4 baords its the mobo itself, I have had 3 friends with different NF4 board including myself which had this problem and it was ruled out as the mobo

The Asus A8N- SLI Delux
The Asus A8N SLI Premium
The Fatality
And even a Gigabyte.

So I would always try a quick RMA on the mobo first.

OK, mine was stupidity. My ram wasn't seated all the way apparently. My mobo does not make any noise until everything is in ok and it boots up. So the "try one part at a time" trick didn't work in my case.

Back