• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New Computer, New Problems

Cirue

n00b
Joined
Jan 28, 2004
Messages
47
Well I finally got all the pieces of my computer today, and I set it up properly, but the monitor won't turn on when I turn it on. My setup is:

Abit KN8 SLi
Athlon 64 3200+ 939socket
MSI Geforce 6800
100GB Maxtor S-Ata Hard drive
PQI Turbo 1GB PC3200 RAM
Antec TruePower 430W

The monitor just won't turn on. Any suggestions on what I should try?

edit: forgot to mention, the monitor is a dell. I'm at my parents house so yeah. Not an LCD a CRT if that matters.
 
Do any of the lights on the monitor come on when you push the on button? Bad monitor if not.

If you mean a black screen, try putting a different video card in to test whether the new one is bad, or at least re-seat the video card you have. Check all your cables and hardware to make sure they are plugged in and properly connected to the motherboard.
 
Have you built many computers before?

Does the computer actually turn on and keep running, fans spinning, etc?

Does that motherboard have diagnostic lights/display on it?

Do you have a speaker plugged into the mobo, if so, does it beep at all?

Reset the cmos.

Take out one of the sticks of ram and completely unplug all power from everything except the motherboard and hard drive.

Have another video card to test it out with (pcie or pci)?

Troubleshooting over the net isnt exactly easy... hehe. And just to make sure... you DID use motherboard standoffs right? Just checking.
 
Yes I've built many computers before, but this is a first for PCI-e.
It turns on, fans are spinning, even the video card fan spins
motherboard lights up as Abit has said it should
No speakers connected
Reset a few times, nothing
Took out a stick, took the other one out, reseated both of them a few times
If I had another video card I probably would have found the answer already (sorry if i sound a bit grumpy, it's not aimed towards you)
I know it's not easy, but when everything is set up properly, and I KNOW it is, hardware defects get me on edge, only because I have to go through the process of RMA'ing etc etc. I really think it's the video card though as the monitor i use to test it works right now. Hell i'm typing on the monitor that I tested the other computer on right now.
 
Are you using DVI? Does your video card have dual DVI? I actually thought my video card was bad when I first purchased it... because... it wouldnt work when connected to the second connector. I just figured at the time it would work on either one, changed it thinking it was stupid, and it worked fine. Thats a silly suggestion though.

See if you can find a speaker or anything to connect up to it because if anything is wrong (and everything is working) it should make some scary noises and beeps.
 
Nah I'm not using DVI. BUTTTTT happy to say, my troubles are over, as my computer is now up and running. All it took was a complete dismantlement of every single component, and a rebuild. seems like i'm losing my computer building touch ><
 
Back
Top