New computer coming soon

mannyman

2[H]4U
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming and web browsing.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1000 shipped.

3) Where do you live?
USA, Woodlands TX

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

1. CPU, I want 2 builds and out of these i will pick one. A 2500K and a AM3.
2. Motherboard
3. Ram
4. GPU
5. At least 3 120mm fans
4. A fan controller
5. DVD burrner sata model
6. PSU
7. Aftermarket Cooler
8. Hard drive
9. If i missed out on anything

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
The only part i will be reusing is my HEC Blitz Black steel edition case.

6) Will you be overclocking?
Mildly depending on the platform.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
2 1440x900 monitors and 1 1280x1024 monitor i will be upgrading to 3 1080p monitors in a couple of months.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
In about 2-3 weeks

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
Crossfire support.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
I have Windows 7 Ultimate.

I would like a 2500k build, But know i can get a AM3 Build for far less and wont notice a huge drop in performance while gaming. Or should i wait till Bulldozer comes out? I plan on getting either a 2500k or a P II x4 and OCing it both will yeild good gaming performace with a 6950 2gb.

Last edited:
You need to specify when you plan on building this system. We often recommend asking for build lists two to three weeks before you're ready to buy as new parts could arrive and prices can change over time.

You also need to let us know whether you plan on buying new monitors soon and, if so, whether or not they're to be included within your $1000 budget.

Right now, Intel's Sandy Bridge is better than anything that AMD can produce. We probably won't know whether or not Bulldozer can compete until it arrives. Unless you plan on a multi-card CF/SLI setup, stick with Sandy Bridge.

You need to specify when you plan on building this system. We often recommend asking for build lists two to three weeks before you're ready to buy as new parts could arrive and prices can change over time.

You also need to let us know whether you plan on buying new monitors soon and, if so, whether or not they're to be included within your $1000 budget.

Right now, Intel's Sandy Bridge is better than anything that AMD can produce. We probably won't know whether or not Bulldozer can compete until it arrives. Unless you plan on a multi-card CF/SLI setup, stick with Sandy Bridge.

Ok fixed.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

1. CPU, I want 2 builds and out of these i will pick one. A 2500K and a AM3.
2. Motherboard
3. Ram
4. GPU
5. At least 3 120mm fans
4. A fan controller
5. DVD burrner sata model
6. PSU
7. Aftermarket Cooler
8. Hard drive
9. If i missed out on anything

Getting a fan controller makes me think you're trying to quiet down your system, but then when you say you want 3 120mm fans too, it makes me think you're actually trying to make a small hovercraft out of your case (which would be pretty cool and if that's what you're actually trying to do I'm all for it.) But if you want low noise, the first thing to do is reduce the number of fans, then slow down whatever fans are left.

Also, a Phenom II X4 won't give the same gaming performance as a Sandy Bridge Intel, even with the same graphics card in most games (maybe a few, but not most.) A lot of games run about 10% faster on Sandy Bridge, but a few (Starcraft II for example) are closer to 50% faster.

Getting a fan controller makes me think you're trying to quiet down your system, but then when you say you want 3 120mm fans too, it makes me think you're actually trying to make a small hovercraft out of your case (which would be pretty cool and if that's what you're actually trying to do I'm all for it.) But if you want low noise, the first thing to do is reduce the number of fans, then slow down whatever fans are left.

Also, a Phenom II X4 won't give the same gaming performance as a Sandy Bridge Intel, even with the same graphics card in most games (maybe a few, but not most.) A lot of games run about 10% faster on Sandy Bridge, but a few (Starcraft II for example) are closer to 50% faster.

Lol at the hover craft idea. I just like the ability to turn the fans down when im not using it, My case has 5 fans so im likely to get another sentry 2.

I would love to get a Sandy Bridge But i don't think i can afford one with a 6950 at the same time. Who knows i could win that 6990, But i find that highly unlikely.

If your not hard up at the moment bulldozer could make a big difference also if you don't mind the wait.
Posted via Mobile Device

Its not bothering me too much, I am waiting on a RMA on my HD in my main so i built a desktop out of old parts, Athlon 64 le 1640, 2 gigs of 1066 ram and onboard graphics.

Its not bothering me too much, I am waiting on a RMA on my HD in my main so i built a desktop out of old parts, Athlon 64 le 1640, 2 gigs of 1066 ram and onboard graphics.

Ouch

Do you live in The Woodlands, outside of Houston, or Woodlands, Laredo, TX that Google Maps took me to?

If you live in The Woodlands, are you willing to drive to Microcenter at 1717 West Loop Drive South, Houston, TX 77027?

Because I think you can get a 2500k and a 6950 2GB for under $1000 without an OS. But Bastage is right, Bulldozer could help bring prices down, and AMD is also planning on releasing the Radeon 7000 series in late summer. You might just be torturing yourself by waiting though.

Ouch

Do you live in The Woodlands, outside of Houston, or Woodlands, Laredo, TX that Google Maps took me to?

If you live in The Woodlands, are you willing to drive to Microcenter at 1717 West Loop Drive South, Houston, TX 77027?

Because I think you can get a 2500k and a 6950 2GB for under $1000 without an OS. But Bastage is right, Bulldozer could help bring prices down, and AMD is also planning on releasing the Radeon 7000 series in late summer. You might just be torturing yourself by waiting though.

Woodlands just north of Houston, I will most likely go there to pick it up, I will wait till Bulldozer comes out it. Thanks for the help.

Back