New Computer Closet

ASureShot

n00b
Well with a new baby on the way my computer closet has to be moved. So for the last 2 weekends I have built myself a new closet in my garage in a 3.5'x5.5' space.

I haven't figured out how I want to add shelves yet, but I thought I would share some of my progress so far. This is my first construction build at this scale.

All Stripped Down
20r0hp2.jpg

Starting Insulation
30dh34p.jpg

Frame up with Insulation
kcc8km.jpg

Hole added for exhaust
z1rx5.jpg

New LG AirConditioner 8k BTU
rcrdat.jpg

Closet All Finished without Shelves
3150isx.jpg

Why not plumb the hot exhaust to the outside of the home?

Why not plumb the hot exhaust to the outside of the home?

The left wall it is solid brick and is right by the front door and the right wall holds the hot water heater and furnace.

I planned on taking it through the attic to a roof vent, but due to the garage area meeting the main house it is a very tight work space right above this room.

The left wall it is solid brick and is right by the front door and the right wall holds the hot water heater and furnace.

I planned on taking it through the attic to a roof vent, but due to the garage area meeting the main house it is a very tight work space right above this room.

what are some goals for this room ? what is all going in here ? Rack stuff or not ?

what are some goals for this room ? what is all going in here ? Rack stuff or not ?

I will be moving the items from the following picture to this room along with my home threater items like the receiver, ps3, xbox. These will all be running back via HDMI to my projector.

207p4cn.jpg

With the room being so skinny I think a rack would be awkward and the door is only 2 feet across to leave room for shelves if I decide to put them up.

How do you plan on brining power to the room? What about cable runs? Looks good.

How do you plan on brining power to the room? What about cable runs? Looks good.

The wall to the rear actually has an outlet. Until I read some more about how to run electrical to a new circuit I have a 20 amp heavy duty extension cord being used for the AC.

Cable runs is step 2 of this project. I have 600 feet of Cat6 I got from a buddy that I will be running to each room. I am also going to bring a coax run into this room for the cable modem.

Nice. I've been thinking of doing something similar, since I ended up with a portable AC unit like that, just sitting in a box in the garage.

Back