• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

new computer, buy now or wait ??

mobilecommand

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
67
hi folks,

well my computer finally bit the dust, old amd 3200+ 1 gig of memory dual 75gig raptors, and 6800gtoc agp. blah blah blah


i was looking at some new systems and it really comes down to do i want dual or quad core system and do i want to buy something now or hold off for 2 more months..

I mostly play games with the system, do some video encoding from time to time but mostly games, i am also supporting a 24 in lcd... i am looking to keep the system for about 2 ish years before i update


my inital system if i were going to buy something today would look like this..

intel q6600
EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Towe
CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB
areca ARC-1210 PCI-Express x8 SATA II Controller Card RAID
raptor 150 10k 16mb
raptor 150 10k 16mb
seagate cuda 750 gig 32mb cache
liteon dvd burner
Samsung dvd burner
650watt corsair psu
BFG Tech BFGE88512GTSE GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP


now after reading some posts i may ditch quad core for the dual core intel 3.0 ghz and change the video card to an evga or xfx 768mb pci e 2.0

so i guess my questions are based on my specs do i go for the faster dual core or slower quad core and do i get something today or hold off a month or two for the newer stuff.. i know there is going to be something just around the corner but i also dont like to beta test the new stuff i would still hold off a few months after the new stuff comes out to make sure all the bugs have been tested.

let me know what you think


thanks

mobilecommand.
 
hi folks,

well my computer finally bit the dust, old amd 3200+ 1 gig of memory dual 75gig raptors, and 6800gtoc agp. blah blah blah


i was looking at some new systems and it really comes down to do i want dual or quad core system and do i want to buy something now or hold off for 2 more months..

I mostly play games with the system, do some video encoding from time to time but mostly games, i am also supporting a 24 in lcd... i am looking to keep the system for about 2 ish years before i update


my inital system if i were going to buy something today would look like this..

intel q6600
EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Towe
CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB
areca ARC-1210 PCI-Express x8 SATA II Controller Card RAID
raptor 150 10k 16mb
raptor 150 10k 16mb
seagate cuda 750 gig 32mb cache
liteon dvd burner
Samsung dvd burner
650watt corsair psu
BFG Tech BFGE88512GTSE GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP


now after reading some posts i may ditch quad core for the dual core intel 3.0 ghz and change the video card to an evga or xfx 768mb pci e 2.0

so i guess my questions are based on my specs do i go for the faster dual core or slower quad core and do i get something today or hold off a month or two for the newer stuff.. i know there is going to be something just around the corner but i also dont like to beta test the new stuff i would still hold off a few months after the new stuff comes out to make sure all the bugs have been tested.

let me know what you think


thanks

mobilecommand.

If you overclock the q6600 to 3.2 and put a good HSF on it, it will be fine(faster then the 3.0 you specified)
 
Do not get an SLI motherboard if you are not going to use two video cards, as SLI motherboards have proven to be harder to work with and less reliable over the long term when compared to Intel P35 and X38 based boards. Do not consider SLI unless a) you are gaming at a resolution of 1920x1200 and b) can afford to get two cards now. SLI as an upgrade path is never worth it, as by the time you are ready to get that second card, a newer single card solution will likely be available that will outperform two of your older cards in SLI. Furthermore, simply upgrading to the newer card may prove to be a more economical choice than simply hoping to buy a second card for less money, since you can always sell the original and since prices at retail for NVIDIA cards rarely drop once new versions are released.

With that in mind, I would either get two GTS 512s now or wait and see how the new top end 9800GX2 performs. If it can handle everything thrown at it when gaming at 1920x1200, then simply get one of those and an Intel board.
 
If you overclock the q6600 to 3.2 and put a good HSF on it, it will be fine(faster then the 3.0 you specified)


And if you overclock the dul core it will be faster?? you can compare OC vs no OC my friend.


are you planning on raid 0? if so not worth buying an external card really, epecially if you go with an intel 35/38 board with ICH9 raid
 
Back
Top