• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

new computer build help~

iamnamja

n00b
Joined
Dec 14, 2004
Messages
22
Hiya guys~ I'm pretty much fed up with my computer right now... My harddrive's been for some odd reason powering up and down constantly by itself... and yet... i know its not the harddrive problem because i have 7 of them which all of them i have RMA'd like 3 times... i know its not the PSU because i've tried with multiple computers... i know its not the mobo because i've RMA'd that couple of times... i also know its not my RAM becaue i've tried different combos....

So, I figured... although i know its not any of those, might as well try with a new mother board... new cpu... and a new memory and power supply so that i can COMPLETELY get rid of those possibilities.... so... this is what i'm thinking of getting.... but if you guys have better suggestions, please let me know...

CPU: Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0E 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, HP Techology Retail
Memory: Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Sercies 1GB (512MBx2) DDR PC-3200
Mobo: Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
Heatsink/Fan: Vantec AeroFlow or Hermaltake P4 Park 7+
PSU: Antec 480 NeoPower

Please tell me what you guys think, and as i said... I would love it if you guys give me suggestions on any of these... thanks guys!
 
First, I wouldn't have RMA'ed the HDD/MOBO so many times, what a complete waste of shipping costs. The odds of you getting that many defective parts are slim.

Secondly, what kind of HDD was it, what was the detailed setup that was giving you problems?

Third, that new setup looks fine, however I would personally get a XP-90 to cool that Prescott.
 
is there such a big difference with A64?

And as far as RMAing it over and over... your right... it was a waste of shipping costs... but i wanted to make perfectly sure it wasn't the hard drives... and the mobo.... and since with the psu, i have another to test with... and memory also... i just wanted rule out those things before i went and made a decision to replace everything...

I know the problem HAS to lie within one of those components... and i know that it passes all the tests that i've done, and all the tests that the softwares have done... so... there was no way for me to pinpoint the problem...

And hard drive setup wise... i had it setup on a raid... originally with my SATA drives on the mobo raid controller... problem happened... so i moved onto a promise fasttrak 4000 raid controller where i set up 4 hard drives on a raid... same problem... so now, i currently just have one hard drive in the computer... yet... same problem...

so i originally thought it was the harddrives... then i thought it was the raid... and now? i have NO IDEA what the problem is....

this problem has been going on for a couple of months... and i can't stand it anymore... so i just want to replace all of them to fully get rid of this problem and start fresh...

I hope this clears things up... and thanks for the suggestions... more are welcome! thanks guys!
 
You know what's funny, I hear mine shut off and on by itself sometimes. It's not a problem anymore, but it was before seeing as the computer would freeze everytime it would do it. I never figured out why it did it, but it did. Before I thought it was my DEER PSU, so I dumped that POS a long time ago. It ran fine though, but I switched to this antec and it's still doing it, but now it doesn't freeze the computer. It doesn't do it as often though, or maybe I just don't hear it because i'm always playing music. Anyway, not sure what the hell is going on with yours, I just know your pain :p. I have a Western Digital 60GB HD.
 
lol thanks for understanding.... i've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out this problem... and the reason why i decided to replace all these parts is so that i won't go bald ;) heh.... but... this problem's been going on for about 6 months or so... and it seems like i can't do ANYTHING... actually my computer works well when i'm just doing normal things... like surfing the web and what not... but specificallly it happens a lot when its loading windows, loading ms outlook, and when i try to play world of warcraft~ and i really really like to play games! so... you can see how frustrated i can be... heh.. anyways... thanks guys for all your responses sofar... and i would love to get some more so that i can make the best decision when i'm spending my money~ thanks!
 
Do you have a quality UPS?



You may have very dirty power comming off the wall
 
Back
Top