new computer, budget

ElvishBoy311

Limp Gawd
I won't be doing any serious overclocking and I have no need for SLI at this time but later on if I feel the need I might purchase a new board and another video card.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+

EPoX EP-9NPA7I

G.SKILL 1GB 2x 512

eVGA GeForce 6800GS

Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB SATA

FSP 450W PSU

LITE-ON DVD-CDRW Combo Drive

Will be using onboard LAN and already have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz for my sound card. So far i'm around 700 dollars for what I think is a fairly fast/upgradeable machine. This is my first build in about 5 years so i'm a little rusty. If anyone has any other suggestions on hardware and notices any problems with what i've listed let me know. Thanks

might want to wait until the 7900 series is released...
probably will push down the cost of the 7800GT/6800GS

When is the 7900 set for release? It will probably be towards mid-late march before I order everything.

ElvishBoy311 said:
When is the 7900 set for release? It will probably be towards mid-late march before I order everything.
i think it will be released very soon? in the next two weeks
could be wrong though

Yeah, have an antec case that I love but it has a 300w psu, was worried that wouldn't be enough so figured I should upgrade to the 450w FSP. Current computer is going to my parents in a cheapy rosewill case ;)

ElvishBoy311 said:

Someone mentioned in a week or so.

ElvishBoy311 said:
Yeah, have an antec case that I love but it has a 300w psu, was worried that wouldn't be enough so figured I should upgrade to the 450w FSP. Current computer is going to my parents in a cheapy rosewill case ;)

Good choice. I'm currently using a FSP and it works great.

Just wondering, would this system be able to run on a 300w psu? Could save some extra cash if I didn't have to buy the 450w.

Edit - nevermind, board needs a 24 pin connector.

My friend has that psu, he hasnt had any problems with it at all.

If it is the same price, get a NEC DVD RW drive. I have both, NEC operates smoother than the one you've picked.

Back