New computer audio setup

The best headphone outs are usually found in 70's integrated stereo receivers... Can be had for cheap.. Or expensive A/V receivers like upper end Denon and mcintosh. There is a middle line. The Yamaha 663 has a good headphone out. And supports the HD codeics. I have the Yamaha V1800 which is 2 models up from the 663. Headphone out is good. Clean power, full bodied, nice dynamics and tight bass.. Leans on the warm side.. And I use mine with my PS3. And can vouch for it.. Listen to Fall of man with the 663 and your 900's.. You will be in another world.. Especially with Yamahas Silent Cinema.. Which has some great 5.1 DSP's that you can modify to your liking. Not all portable amps suck.
 
The Zero Dac on ebay from china seems to get a lot of praise for a headphone amp.
 
thanks! this looks nice!

pardon my ignorance - but how does this compare to the commonly mentioned T-amp with bookshelf speakers?
Pardon my ignorance.. T-amp? And I'm not a speaker guy. I do need some, but keep buying headphones and related gear.
 
Amps on a receiver aren't exactly the best. They are decent. But if you need the extra drive from an amp, a receiver is not the way to go. Everything else on a receiver is generally great.
 
My V1800 has been praised for it's amplification.. Can get very loud without a hint of distortion or clipping. I think a receiver like the 663 or 605 would do the op fine.
 
maybe before We start advising you, you might like to tell us what your budget is?
 
And sorry, asking another question :) But, Have you got the speakers already or is the $700 budget for the speakers and the amp/receiver/dac as well?

If you just want to get the best from your headphones you might be as well off investing in something like the Zero that gets great praise here or another make of headphone amp.

If you want to get a better 5.1/2.1 speaker based sound system then your speakers are going to be the most important components.

My advise would be to decide on speakers first, then worry about the receiver or amp to drive them.
 
E-MU has some excellent DACs. I'm using the 0404 USB which has 2 sets of analog outs, digital in and out, MIDI, direct monitoring, Hi-Z/mic inputs, mic amp, and headphone amp. The 0202 USB is also great, and cheaper if you are not using your computer in a studio-type setup with recording gear. I've heard good things about the Zero, just not sure if it is a better deal than the professional quality E-MU stuff. I admit, my opinion of Creative (they own E-MU) is not very good for their consumer stuff (X-Fi, Audigy) but their pro-level E-MU stuff is top notch.
 
If you don't care for EAX, and with a budget that big, I would just shoot for an HT OMEGO Claro Halo (XT). It provides a great DAC, headphone amp, and I believe the shielding is very solid. And it takes very little deskspace... since its in your deskTOP! HAHAHA! Man I'm funny...
 
If you were just looking for a headphone amp/DAC combo I'd recommend the DAC1, used for 700.00.. One of the best dacs under 2,000, & has a impressive headphone amp, comparable to headphone amps in the 350-400 range..
 
I'm very interested in where this thread is headed as well. I just bought some BT-770s and can't decide on whether or not to use my Sony Receiver or buy the upgraded Zero from eBay.
 
Now, you're getting into head-fi territory. Just head over there and ask them. Many more knowledgeable people there.
 
Back
Top