New comp XP/Vista question

jphat007

n00b
I posted this in the other forum, but I have a quick question because it might be an operating sound problem. I have XP Home on an ASUS P4P800, P4 2.4c, older computer, and I want to take that drive and have it dual boot with vista on my new system. I wanted to do some work on this drive so I built up my new comp (Abit I35 Pro, 8800gtx, E6850), and put this exact harddrive (Old 80 gig WD IDE) and loaded up. It was recognized in the BIOS and I put it as the boot, but when I started loading windows (after it said that windows didnt start sucessfully) and gave the screen for starting in safe mode, nethworking, etc or last known config, or regularly, it gave me a blue screen of death midway through the "bars" loading. I couldnt read the error, but it started back up immediately. Will my old XP system Hard drive work with my new system? Do i Have to do anything different with the updated hardware? Thanks.

Being completely different hardware- I wouldn't expect any different.

However, having never done this myself, I am unsure of what you could do to make it work.

The thing I can think of right of the top of my head is what kind of BSOD it is. Did you try booting into Safe Mode? If Safe Mode works then just update the drivers from there. If it does not work- it will require something of which I've never done myself.

If you F8 as Windows starts, you might have the option to disable the automatic restarts. That would allow you to read the error message.

Generally in this kind of situation you might run into STOP: 0x0000007B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE due to lack of controller drivers. Or an extra drive in the new system is messing up the boot.ini.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314082

Besides using sysprep, you can force the new drivers in via Add/Remove Hardware or through the registry. I always make Ghost backups before doing it, just to be safe.

You might need to switch to a MP HAL to get the extra core going.

Back