New comp part list

Ok, probably a lot of these threads and I tried searching through a few and came down to a list of these, but still need some work on this.
These I already ordered, so hopefully these are fine. I actually was searching and most people suggested the Q6600, but that was after I ordered it, and I can't cancel it anymore.

CPU: Intel E3110
PSU: Corsair VX 550W ATX Power Supply - CMPSU-550VX
Case: Antec P182 SE
Sound card: Razer Barracuda AC-1

These are coming from Newegg:
GFX: EVGA 512-P3-N841-A3 GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3P LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard - Retail
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200rpm 32MB SATA3.0Gb/s - OEM
Optical Drive: SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B - OEM
Cooling: ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 120mm 2-ball UFO Bearing / Transparent CPU Cooler - Retail w/ Arctic Silver 5

And also, I saw a lot of threads suggesting gigabyte mobos. I'm trying to keep the mobo around $140 and the cooling under $50. I want to OC the E3110 to 3.8-4.0 GHz. I also plan to install Vista Home Premium after a while, so I decded to go with 4 gb ram over 2, and I heard that using 2 slots is better than all 4. Is there anything else I should get like HFS paste or anything? I'm gonna reuse my monitor, kb/m, and speakers.

Is this set up good for gaming? I'm on a 22" monitor, mostly play Wow, some light photo editing, and occasionally FPSes.
Thanks!

K, that's pretty much what I will get, but just not too sure if that's the best ram, and still need to decide on which 8800 gts to get.
Ok, that's pretty much the final list for my build. Thanks for the great great help everyone! I'll make sure to post pics of my horrible cable management(oohhh, are zip ties good enough, or should I buy something for this?) and the shiny case!

Status: Everything ordered, but I will be gone during spring break so I will do it when I get back(I need to pick up my psu and sound card there too).

if your ocing get the 800mhz ram instead. no need to waste the extra few bucks.

i like this cpu cooler and would recommend it. ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 120mm

that 8800gts i hope is the G92 512mb one and not the older 320mb or 640mb ones.

make sure your os will be 64bit for the 4gb

you could opt for this mobo for less while getting more sata ports. GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R

this is a pretty good rig for gaming. especially for the games you play. because you mostly play wow, you could even go with the 9600gt or 8800gt.

The IP35 Pro has had reported problems with the Wolfdale CPUs. With the E3110 being the server equivalent to the E8400, you may run into problems.

You may want to look at one of the following boards:

MSI P35 Neo2-FR Intel P35 ATX Motherboard - $111
DFI BloodIron P35-T2RL Intel P35 ATX Motherboard - $120
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R Intel P35 Motherboard - $122
ASUS P5K-E Intel P35 ATX Motherboard - $140
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P Intel P35 Motherboard - $150

Choose one based on which features you feel that you need.

Make sure that the GTS you choose has the G92 chip. You'll know because it has 512MB of GDDR3 RAM.

As for the HSF, go with either one. The Zerotherm Nirvana also performs well for under $50.

Kk, thanks for the help you guys! I'll look into both the mobo and ram soon. Figured the higher the mhz the better got OCing, but things to learn! Yeah, I'm gonna get the 64 bit, wouldn't have known that it wouldn't have worked with 64 only unless I read it on the this forums. I also thought that since wow isn't gfx intense I could go with a lower one, but I don't want to end up replacing it again if I decide to play something a bit more intense(gonna get crysis).
I'm not sure how mobos differ much, but I'll take a look into it right now and see what wants turn into "needs", but if all things fail and I can't tell, I'll go with the GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R/P since it was suggested twice xD
Thanks for the quick responses.

Since you're planning on overclocking, it's better to stick with the DDR2 1000 RAM. Intel processors don't really benefit from RAM overclocking, so just keep the FSB:RAM ration to 1:1.

You can't go wrong with Corsair for power supplies, but if you could spring for a modular, uh, model (a member of the Corsair HX series), you would have much better cable management. But that's just my opinion.

as banana king said, get the corsair 620hx. look around for prices, i got mine from newegg, but many have said that you can find it for ~$30 cheaper. also, get some Arctic Silver 5 paste, the small tube. i hear its some of the best thermal paste you can get. make sure you follow a guide for the paste application, doing that incorrectly can REALLY screw up your temps. i went from 60c - 30c after a re-application and re-seating of my hsf.

Ah, already got the PSU from buy.com. And yes, the 8800 GTS will be the G92 once I get it(what brand is suggested? I heard XFX has the best warranty). The budget is in stone, but it should be around $1000, but I think I will be going over a bit. I don't want to cheap out too much on parts, but don't want to go extreme and buy the super high quality ones.

And so I guess I'll stick with the ram I'm currently looking into. I'll look into the mobos soon.
And thanks everyone!
as banana king said, get the corsair 620hx. look around for prices, i got mine from newegg, but many have said that you can find it for ~$30 cheaper. also, get some Arctic Silver 5 paste, the small tube. i hear its some of the best thermal paste you can get. make sure you follow a guide for the paste application, doing that incorrectly can REALLY screw up your temps. i went from 60c - 30c after a re-application and re-seating of my hsf.

Haha, yeah, I read your post I think about how you changed it and it dropped dramatically so I'll get one of those too.

as for the brands on nvidia cards, best to go EVGA just for the 90-day step-up program, unless you wont be upgrading within 3 months. if you want a manufactured OC'd board with awesome support and quality, id reccomend BFGTECH.com. dont touch their psu's from what i hear though.

as for the brands on nvidia cards, best to go EVGA just for the 90-day step-up program, unless you wont be upgrading within 3 months. if you want a manufactured OC'd board with awesome support and quality, id reccomend BFGTECH.com. dont touch their psu's from what i hear though.

I don't plan on getting anything higher than the 8800 gts since I don't think I'd play anything too gfx intense, but BFG is $300 after rebates on Newegg.
I'l be getting either one of these maybe:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150261
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130325

Also, whats the thing in the GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3P board where it has the OC thing in ()? I might get that if it's better than the asus(only $10).

Be careful about rebates, i had a 60$ MIR for my monitor and it took 9 MONTHS!

insane.

all i see is green, orange, blue, red, yellow, brown, white, sky blue, navy blue, purple, blood red. way too many god damn colors on that GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3P board. no idea why the (o.c.) thing is there.

Lol, just noticed how much colors there are. At least it'll be inside my case that won't have any windows.
And I guess I'll go with the evga one with crysis since that brand was recommended even though i most likely won't be upgrading. Also, is the ram and mobo a good choice? If those are, I can now place my order.

all i see is green, orange, blue, red, yellow, brown, white, sky blue, navy blue, purple, blood red. way too many god damn colors on that GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3P board. no idea why the (o.c.) thing is there.

Psst... the OC features are why we recommend those boards. ;)

(We also recommend EVGA because, in addition to its step-up policy, it has one of the best lifetime warranties arround.)

Your build looks good. (The sound card, not so much... but you do have onboard sound if it doesn't work out for you....)

Kk, thanks! Though why isn't the sound card good? Dang, thought they'd be good since they were so expensive everywhere else. I also plan to use a headset half the time I'm gaming, and speakers for music. Got mine for $60.

Oh, also, is this ram good for just the sake of having more ram? My friend wanted a bit more since he was has 1 gb
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA804 - Retail
Heres the link. If thats good, gonna place my order then.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565

Ok, that's pretty much the final list for my build in the OP. Thanks for the great great help everyone! I'll make sure to post pics of my horrible cable management(oohhh, are zip ties good enough, or should I buy something for this?) and the shiny case!

With Vista, many people have gone for either the AuzenTech Prelude or the Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic/XtremeGamer/Fata1ity cards. But if the Razer Barracuda AC-1 works for you, then by all means....

As for the RAM, the only appeal to the Ballistix is the Micron D9 chips, which allow them to be overclocked to DDR2 1066 speeds (but YMMV). But it's best not to mix two different brands of RAM together, especially when you're planning on overclocking. (You may also run into issues trying to overclock with all four RAM slots being used.) Just stick with the G.Skill DDR2 1000 kit you have in your OP.

Oh no, those are for a friend who just want to have more ram., He only has a gig stick currently and wants to upgrade. I guess it sounds fine though for him. Hes not gonna OC or anything though.

And I hopefully the sound card works good though, but I'll have to see xD Maybe I'll sell it and buy one of the mentioned ones(but they seem to be a lot more than I wanna spend on a sound card).

Oh, forgot to ask, but whats the difference between the system builders vista and the normal one? They seem to be pretty cheap, but only 1 install? How does that work? Thanks!
Oh, heres the link.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116204
Also, I could get the home premium upgrade for $80, but then that only comes with the 32 bit os right?

Ah, it seems as if I actually didn't order the sound card. I guess I'll just use the onboard sound card. Is there any other sound card that you suggest, or is the onboard sound card good enough? I don't want to spend over $60 on it.

And I'm going to use this as the headset from suggestion on the audio section.
http://www.amazon.com/Koss-SB40-Computer-Headset-Microphone/dp/B00005ML7T

I also am using my 5.1 cheapo logitech speakers. I might upgrade them to nicer 2.1s later, but probably not.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Use onboard sound for now. Most motherboards out now support 5.1 channel (or better) and it has improved to the point that it's a viable option for most users. If you don't like the onboard sound, then get a new sound card.

Yeah. I was thinking that with 2 sound cards though I could plug both my speakers and headset in and not switch them out all the time, but I guess I could just get a splitter like my friend did.

Ah, it seems that my brother has gotten the sound card o_O I couldn't find the invoice on buy.com, but it arrived.
Anyways, I decided that I will sell my E3110(posted it on craigs, hope someone takes it), and buy a Q6600. I'm visiting my brother who has microcenters around, so I'm gonna buy one there, and hope I will be able to sell the E3110 once I get back.
If not, does anyone have any suggestions? I hope it doesn't come to that..

I'm pretty sure you could sell the Xeon with the "E8400 equivalent" angle, and as long as your price is right.

Yeah, I did that, but no one wanted it(I put it at 225 OBO even at the e8400 angle) so I decided not to buy it. I might just upgrade to a even better processor once this one slows down in college or something. Thanks for the tip though xD

Ok, I got everything built, and it worked fine for a while, but when I was putting back on the case cover, I accidentally touched some wires and the comp turned off(sounded like a shock or something) and it was during vista installation.
Now the disc is really scratched up(though I was able to make a backup copy of it), it won't read it or something, but I get a
BOOTMGR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
K, got keyboard to work. Any idea on the bootmgr thing?
Thanks!

Ah, got it xD I just deleted the partition using
http://www.linux.com/articles/53924
Also, I got the kb/m to work by enabling usb kb/m in bios.

My only problem now is that the bottom fan of the p182 and the HSF doesn't work xD

Ok, bumping this thread for help with a problem I've been having for a while.
When I play wow(at any resolution or setting), it runs perfectly smooth around 55-60 fps. But whenever a notice pops up, the song in winamp changes, or I transmit in vent, my fps suddenly drops to 30, and then to 9 for about 5 seconds. It then just goes back to 60 fps. All my drivers(at least I'm sure they are) up to date. I've tried closing pretty much all my other programs too. Does anyone know the issue? I really wanna listen to music and vent while playing wow. Thanks!

Back