New Chrome "Material Design" Update

Limp Gawd
Liking the new Chrome browser update/facelift? I must have installed it automatically without noticing, but it should be up on the Play Store.

Besides a few updated icons, its hardly different. What's the big deal about 'material design' in L ??

Google seems to be the only ones who have pulled off flat design. There's still a sense of depth due to the animations, which suggest there are layers in the UI.

Apple just crash and burned in comparison.

It would be nice if they would let us control the text boosting and I really want text reflow back. But anyway it looks like this just changed few icons and maybe tweaked few elements and that's it. Looks okay.

Page refresh is moved to the menu key? New tabs have no web address input. This sucks.....

Can it display forums correctly like this one yet? I really want to use Chrome on my Note 2 but forums are all borked and thats the majority of the surfing I do on it. One post will have gigantic text and the next one will be very small. Then the next one will have normal sized text but the quotes and the sig will be tiny. Basically no two posts are displayed the same. All Ive found that will display them right is Dolphin and the stock Samsung browser. I prefer Chrome especially with it syncing bookmarks with my desktop but until they fix that issue its pretty much useless to me.

This is what [H] looks like on my phone with Chrome.

Screenshotforreporting_zps748a4ceb.png

Yep. That text boosting is annoying as hell. Everything would be fine with text reflow. Why on earth they had to remove it? On Galaxy S it's impossible to see the poster's details because they are so small (pentile screen doesn't help).

Is there a way to change the font chrome uses? I have been using another browser that uses the font you picked for a system font which is much easier to read ( not size wise, but style).

I have that weird text size issue on both my Note 3 and Note 2. Its inconsistent, sometimes it displays correctly other times the text is huge here and there and other texts super small.

Looks ok here on Note II and Note 3. Are you running stock ROM?

Screenshot_2014-09-07-10-59-44_zpse1d84108.png

Yeah I'm not rooted and using the stock OS. Even in that pic the screen names are tiny. Not that that's a big deal as long as the post itself is the right size but Dolphin and the stock browser display all forums just like my desktop does. I don't get why Chrome or any of the others can do the same. IIRC I figured out how to get [H] to display like that but other forums were messed up. OC3D for example is all the same size but it won't zoom in enough to read when you double tap the screen so you have to pinch zoom it and then the text won't resale to where its all on the screen. I don't know WTF is the deal.

Maybe it's some funky VBulletin HTML coding? I'm not a web developer but this looks suspicious:

<span class="smallfont">[H]ardness Supreme, 5.1 Years</span>

Absolutely nothing suspicious in it. Fyi, CSS class names can be absolutely anything.

It no longer has the refresh icon in the address bar, that sucks

Refresh was moved under menu button.

Also if I remember correctly it is still there in tablet ui. Refresh button doesn't make that much sense in address bar on phones. That are can be quite small on smaller phones.

Back