New Chrome Build Supports Javascript Control

I thought that chromium itself is the one with none of the google ad/web browsing behavior tracking? I know that SRware iron is as well, but believe chromium is the same...or am I mistaken here?

I've switched to chromium after trying SRware iron, as that one get's updated much faster than iron does.

BTW, is there a noscript avail for chromium/iron?

I don't know about the Win/Mac version of Chromium, but I know the Linux one is still filled with most of Google-ness aside from auto-updating.

As far as I know, there is not a noscript extension out there yet, but any extension that works with Chrome also works with Iron.

-S

Sounds like I'm in the minority... I've never had a problem with the speed or stability of Firefox. Chrome might be a bit faster (didn't really notice in my daily usage), but seems too stripped down.

Slightly faster?! Really? In what OS, in XP - Win 7, Chrome blows away Firefox for me.

Placebo effect, imo. Unless you're talking about app launch speed. I'll give Chrome that, but otherwise I think everyone claiming that Chrome is so much faster at actual surfing has been brainwashed. It's cache handling is comparatively poor, and it doesn't play well with hosts files either.

Sounds like I'm in the minority... I've never had a problem with the speed or stability of Firefox. Chrome might be a bit faster (didn't really notice in my daily usage), but seems too stripped down.

Dammit, wish I'd seen this post first.

"Agreed."

Every other month I'll install the latest version of chrome and use it for a day or so. So far I really don't see much of a difference over firefox. I really don't have any issues with firefox like crashing or slowness.

Google did the smart thing. Let me explain. When our university was heavily rebuilt they didn't know exactly where to put the walkways connecting the buildings. Now, they could have just done what everyone always did or they could do a smart idea, let the students walk around for a while and see where they go; which is what they did. They waited for a few months to see where the grass got worn down and that is where they built.

Google is doing the same thing, they built a basic but lightning quick browser. Then, they add features that are HEAVILY demanded/used. They just don't add the "oh, shiny" things. If you want to stay in bed with FF, go right ahead. But, progress will leave you behind. My guess is you still use win XP?

Google did the smart thing. Let me explain. When our university was heavily rebuilt they didn't know exactly where to put the walkways connecting the buildings. Now, they could have just done what everyone always did or they could do a smart idea, let the students walk around for a while and see where they go; which is what they did. They waited for a few months to see where the grass got worn down and that is where they built.

Google is doing the same thing, they built a basic but lightning quick browser. Then, they add features that are HEAVILY demanded/used. They just don't add the "oh, shiny" things. If you want to stay in bed with FF, go right ahead. But, progress will leave you behind. My guess is you still use win XP?

You guess he's still on XP because he uses Firefox? Maybe Chrome's progress will eventually leave Firefox behind, but at this point it hasn't even caught up yet IMHO.

I'm guessing (hoping) you were doing a bit of trolling, but I'll reply to a few points.

First, "progress" will inevitably lead to more "stuff" being added to Chrome. If, at some point, Chrome provides the features I currently enjoy in Firefox, and does it faster and better, I would have no objection to switching. That day isn't today, though.

As far as speed, I acknowledged Chrome can be faster, but (for my daily usage) not much more than my minimal Firefox install. I'll mention that none of my installed add-ons make my browser or websites more "shiny"... and in fact do the opposite.

I use Windows 7.

I'm guessing (hoping) you were doing a bit of trolling, but I'll reply to a few points.

First, "progress" will inevitably lead to more "stuff" being added to Chrome. If, at some point, Chrome provides the features I currently enjoy in Firefox, and does it faster and better, I would have no objection to switching. That day isn't today, though.

As far as speed, I acknowledged Chrome can be faster, but (for my daily usage) not much more than my minimal Firefox install. I'll mention that none of my installed add-ons make my browser or websites more "shiny"... and in fact do the opposite.

I use Windows 7.

Bravo.

And burn on him :D

I switched to FF from IE8. At first noscript was cool. Then it began to suck.

The same people who make fun of UAC on Vista are the same people who think noscript on FF is like some sort of magic. It's not and it is just as fucking annoying.

"noscript" it should just be called "breakallyourwebsites" and since many sites pull content from multiple locations you're popping up the damn noscript widget all the fucking time to get them to WORK.

I've been using SRWares Iron browser for a while now. It's had AdBlock built into the browser itself for quite a while. If you haven't heard of it, it's basically Chromium with all of the Google-ness and/or things that phone home to Google removed. Just the browser. I like Chromium; I don't like Google using me for data mining.

They have Win, Mac, and Linux builds.

SRWare Iron

Some useful features seem missing in Iron though.

First I installed Chrome Imported everything from Firefox, so I had my bookmark toolbar exactly like in firefox, even my cookies so web pages had my settings. But Google has too many call home agents for my liking, even when Chrome wasn't running it had agents still running. Goodbye.

Next Iron(Jan27 Build for Windows): Nothing imported. Could only do primitive bookmark install. Didn't do my bookmark bar properly, didn't import settings. Major missing part IMO. I don't want to rebuild my bookmarks/settings.

In the end, still using Firefox, but Iron is kicking around (as is Opera and Safari), Iron is the last browser that I ever think to use.

I switched to FF from IE8. At first noscript was cool. Then it began to suck.

The same people who make fun of UAC on Vista are the same people who think noscript on FF is like some sort of magic. It's not and it is just as fucking annoying.

"noscript" it should just be called "breakallyourwebsites" and since many sites pull content from multiple locations you're popping up the damn noscript widget all the fucking time to get them to WORK.

The problem is most of those websites that pull content from 3rd parties aren't doing it just for themselves. Go visit techcrunch or even SI.com. A dozen different scripts run against your computer when only 2 or 3 are needed to display the page. I'm sorry but that's horseshit. If I visit a website if they need something like Google-analytics.com or Googleadservices.com for ads that's fine but I don't need them running a dozen scripts from places I've never heard of against my machine.

Chrome still doesn't have a setting to clear your cache/history/sessions when you close the browser. Why not? Probably because Google wants this data to stay around.

Plus, I dislike the UI. It goes out of it's way to save screen real estate when I don't need it to. I don't see the benefit of using a browser designed for low resolution netbooks when you have a 1920x1200 display.

Check your settings. Chrome remembers the passwords for every site of mine, including this one.
Where in the settings can I change something? I love chrome, but this is the one thing that irks me. for my uni login info, it won't remember a thing

Any love for Safari? Ive been using Safari for Windows for a couple years now and like it best. I tried Chrome for a while but had too many quirky issues with it on things like online banking and bill pay and such. I dont think Safari is really any better than Firefox really, its the Top Sites feature that is the tie breaker for me. I have it set as my home page and like it much better.

Really the only gripe I have with Safari is that it opens target links in a new window instead of a new tab.

Check your settings. Chrome remembers the passwords for every site of mine, including this one.

What babyshark31 said. Check what settings lol? I installed the latest version of Chrome only about a week ago on my laptop and didn't change any settings. Passwords for most sites are remembered, but not this one.

I haven't nothing against Chrome as I've not tried it. The fact is, I'm happy with Firefox. I was getting annoyed by some pretty impressive memory leaks in 3.5, but 3.6 seems to have fixed them all for me. It's not like back when I first switched to FF from IE so I could use tabs then stayed for the add-ons and themes. I just don't have a reason yet to migrate to Chrome. I'm perfectly content with Firefox right now.

Any love for Safari? Ive been using Safari for Windows for a couple years now and like it best. I tried Chrome for a while but had too many quirky issues with it on things like online banking and bill pay and such. I dont think Safari is really any better than Firefox really, its the Top Sites feature that is the tie breaker for me. I have it set as my home page and like it much better.

Really the only gripe I have with Safari is that it opens target links in a new window instead of a new tab.
I'm sure there must be a setting that can be change for this. I'm only guess though as I've never used safari

Back