• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New, cheap MP3 player

Modred189

Can't Read the OP
2FA
Joined
May 24, 2006
Messages
17,078
So the wife needs a new MP3 player. She does NOT need anything powerful, just reliable. She's had the same Sony for ~ 8 years, and it finally died.
My ZuneHD was my first real MP3 player, so I do not know much about them. Is there a cheap 2gb mp3 player that is know for being particularly reliable?
I see the sandisks everywhere, but hear a lot of people go through a few before finding one that works. I also see a lot of no-name brands I don't recognize (MachSpeed?).

She does not want an iPod shuffle (or similar no-display, shuffle only device), and I would rather not put iTunes on her computer anyway.

Any suggestions?
 
Sansa Clip+ or Sansa Fuze (if you want a bigger screen). I own both (actually the original clip) and can be gotten very cheap. I have had no problem at all with either. The only issue is try and get a black version because the screen of a silver version has way to much glare and you need a case for it.
 
I've had good luck with creative mp3 players. I had a Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen back in the day that was an absolute tank, but was eventually stolen out of my car. Then I had a Zen Vision W that is still running well, albeit being a monster! Both have lasted longer than my ipod touch that is starting to crap out after a year.

I'd take a look at Creative's current offerings as they have some 4GB players that go for $50 or so new.
 
im also partial to creative. i've had an old 256mb muvo tx back when, and now ive got an older 4gb zen V plus. for what i paid back then, they're really nice. had this thing for years and beaten the crap out of it. no troubles besides needing the once in a blue moon reset.
 
Sansa Clip or the Clip+. I have the clip and its fantastic.
 
I have the Clip+ 8GB, and it's been rock-solid. The audio quality is also excellent, so long as you don't use the built-in equalizer.

You can add a 16 or 32GB microSDHC card to up your capacity.
 
another vote for the sansa clip. it's cheap, simple and has excellent sound quality. i believe the clip+ also is storage expandable with microsd cards.
 
That's the original Clip. Get a Clip+ if you can, won't be much more expensive and has a MicroSD slot, among a few other changes. Look at BestBuy, Frys, etc. they will probably be able to sell it cheaper than a computer shop. I've had a Fuze and a Clip+ and both have been excellent to me, especially considering the cost. Creative has nothing comparable in that price range. Just don't use the included earbuds from the Sandisk, they're terrible.

Dustin
 
Thanks for all of the help, everyone. While I did order the original, for that price it was hard to beat, and after playing around with it for a few minutes it's perfect for her. It'll be easy for her to load (after having to learn Sony's sonicstage program), and the menus are very similar to her old player.
 
Nice thing about the clip is that it supports Audible book titles and FLAC. Not many cheap players do that.
 
Thanks for all of the help, everyone. While I did order the original, for that price it was hard to beat, and after playing around with it for a few minutes it's perfect for her. It'll be easy for her to load (after having to learn Sony's sonicstage program), and the menus are very similar to her old player.

For the Sansa Clip? You don't need any special software, just plug it in and copy files to it. Or did you buy a Sony MP3 player?

Dustin
 
No, but knowing her, she needs something, so I'll have her use WMP.
 
I got the Sansa Fuze and really like it. Best thing about it is that its upgradable. I have the 4gig version w/ a 4gig Micro SDHC card. I am now needing more space so I am getting a larger memory card.
Its popular enough thats theres plenty of accessories for it which is really nice.
 
Back
Top