New Challenge For Social Media: Policing Violent Live Videos

HardOCP News

[H] News
The scary part about all of this? In the end, it is a social media site that is deciding what you do and don't see. Facebook and Twitter are now the ones deciding what makes a livestream of someone dying "newsworthy?"

Live video, however, is uncharted territory for social-media sites. In the past year, there have been at least 18 violent acts—rapes, killings, suicides—disseminated on live video. This material can shine a light on events normally hidden from view, but also can shock or disturb viewers who have no way of knowing what is coming. Facebook and Twitter both have standards that limit what users can post on their sites involving violence. Both ban any content that mocks or praises violence, but allow for it in cases in which the material is newsworthy.

I believe it was to raise awareness about something. In recent instances, it is about gun violence and safety as well as the seemingly social bias.

The scary part about all of this? In the end, it is a social media site that is deciding what you do and don't see. Facebook and Twitter are now the ones deciding what makes a livestream of someone dying "newsworthy?"

Which is dangerous, because they pick and choose for agendas and have bias. I knew the reason why I never partook in these two mediums would come to make itself shown.

If this country blocks liveleak then I'll be pissed off. Till then social media can go F itself.

Wasn't there a lot of this sort of thing during the Arab Spring? Or am I remembering incorrectly and all of that was recorded videos put up later?

Your tyrannical overlords demand that you conform or you will be banned.

I always told my wife that the cell phone and social media would be the down fall of mankind. I am taking my social media back to Citizen Band and morse code

Your tyrannical overlords demand that you conform or you will be banned.

I always told my wife that the cell phone and social media would be the down fall of mankind. I am taking my social media back to Citizen Band and morse code

There has been some effort on making a decentralized internet protocol that works on a mesh network of short wave radio. Pretty cool stuff.
Broadband-Hamnet

Reactions: AK0tA
like this
The issue isn't what it is playing, but rather with Facebook's dumbass change to automatically play videos when you scroll past them in a browser, you have no option to prevent the video from starting. The other dumbass thing is if you click the video unlike absolutely every other video player, instead of stopping the video it makes it full screen...

Live video, however, is uncharted territory for social-media sites. In the past year, there have been at least 18 violent acts—rapes, killings, suicides—disseminated on live video. This material can shine a light on events normally hidden from view, but also can shock or disturb viewers who have no way of knowing what is coming. Facebook and Twitter both have standards that limit what users can post on their sites involving violence. Both ban any content that mocks or praises violence, but allow for it in cases in which the material is newsworthy.

doubleplusungood

I'm all for Muslims needing a GPS tracker to post. Then if they post radical bullshit, BAM, drone up their ass.

I'm all for Muslims needing a GPS tracker to post. Then if they post radical bullshit, BAM, drone up their ass.

Might as well get everyone. Need everyone to have a gps tracker to post, never know who is a sleeper cell or a sudden change of heart terrorist. Might as well catch them all.

The issue isn't what it is playing, but rather with Facebook's dumbass change to automatically play videos when you scroll past them in a browser, you have no option to prevent the video from starting. The other dumbass thing is if you click the video unlike absolutely every other video player, instead of stopping the video it makes it full screen...

The video autoplay is in settings and can be disabled.

The video autoplay is in settings and can be disabled.

Not trying to be snarky or anything, but I did find that after I got annoyed by the autoplay. The way their video playback functionality works is just stupid. It is intended to increase views on videos by forcing people to view them instead of being able to choose what they want to see. If you were using the web browser and clicked to open another tab the video is cued. You could click on the other tab and be greeted by Philando Castile's bloody, dying body being presented to you by Facebook. Then, if you try and click on the video to stop it instead, it just goes full screen. Insert Jackie Chan WTF! meme.

I dont see the issue/challenge here. you know ethics and ethics consultants are not that hard to come by.

These social media sites are going to have to put in a delay so that we don't see sensationalized killings. Enough of a delay for police response. 60 minutes would work.

Do Christians get a GPS tracker in case they post radical bullshit too? Or is that a violation of your religious freedom?

Facebook and twitter be like:
trth.gif

Back