New Case Recomendations for 3 Way SLI

jstenuf

2[H]4U
My experience with the Asus Rampage Extreme II X58 and my CM Stacker Evo has been anything but pleasant because I cannot use 3 way SLI with this case:mad:. I have considered returning the board, but now I have decided to try a new case instead. I am looking for anyone that owns this ASUS MB and is using 3 way SLI that can make full tower case recommendations. I am willing to spend $300-$400 for the case, but I am willing to consider higher cost alternatives. Thanks in advance for you advice.

I don't own a 3-way SLI setup, but I can tell you that both the Coolermaster HAF 932 and Coolermaster ATCS 840 cases will fit those parts no problem.

So you need a case with more than 7 PCI slots?

The only one I can think of is the Lian Li Pc-P80

Thanks for the response. The Stacker does have 7 expansions slots, but the last slot on the Extreme MB is so close to the edge of the board it makes the last expansion slot unusable for a third GTX 280.

I don't own a 3-way SLI setup, but I can tell you that both the Coolermaster HAF 932 and Coolermaster ATCS 840 cases will fit those parts no problem.

Thanks for the reply. I will try and find a way to check this out.

Nope, neither of these have more then 7 slots, the third PCIe slot on his board is the last one, so these cases won't work.

still say full tower lian li, any of them. they have more room than you will ever need and are top quality.

Stacker 830 EVO + jigsaw.:eek:

I've had Triple SLI in my Stacker 830 EVO, but it was on an ASUS 680i board, with 8800 GTXs and I believe the third slot was just at the level of the last expansion slot so i had no problem. I even had a sound card in there too.

still say full tower lian li, any of them. they have more room than you will ever need and are top quality.

Only the P80, he needs a case with 8 or more expansion slots, most Lian-Li full towers only have the normal 7.

I have considered returning the board, but now I have decided to try a new case instead. I am looking for anyone that owns this ASUS MB and is using 3 way SLI that can make full tower case recommendations. I am willing to spend $300-$400 for the case, but I am willing to consider higher cost alternatives. Thanks in advance for you advice.
I would consider the XClio 1000, or the Thermaltake VH6000BWS Armor+ enclosure. The XClio has 8 PCI slots, while the Thermaltake model has 10.

you could just get some single slot brackets for the cards and go with some aftermarket coolers

Get the Lian LI PC-X2000....or the ABS Canyon which is the same thing.

Based on the reviews I have read, this case is tall, but not deep. The lack of depth creates an install issue with long power supplys.

Did you read any of the thread?

Yes, thats why I suggested what I did: do you know what a Lian-Li PC-A77 is? I know the Rampage II Extreme will fit in the PC-A77.

OP doesnt need more than 7 slots for that mobo... 6 for the GPU's, 1 on top for the audio card. Thats all that you CAN mount on that board. What, are you trying to get the extra FireWire/USB bracket in there too? You gotta be kidding me.

If you really need the 8th slot, the Lian Li actually has the slots cut out for the PCI bracket supports in the mobo tray for 10 cards... just that the last 3 are internal only. You would be able to mount a GPU in the 7th slot and it could hang down over the 8th area on the inside (this is usually just a vent or solid piece anyways). With the CM, the mobo tray doesnt have the actual slot in it for the PCI bracket, so it wont fit.

How about a Lian Li PC-V2010? Or even the PC-V2110 (essentially the same, but it has a door).

It has 8 Expansion slots, tons of room for a large power supply, available in silver, and also has an optional transparent side panel (W-V2010) if you want a windowed case.

Based on the reviews I have read, this case is tall, but not deep. The lack of depth creates an install issue with long power supplys.

That's true for some PSUs. I have this case, and a PCP&C 1200W would not fit in it. My guess is something like the Ultra X3 wouldn't fit either.

The Thermaltake 1200W cable management one does fit. It's pretty tight with it in there, especially for the PCIe power cables if running tri-SLI (running that too), but if you installed and ran the cables before you lock down the PSU in position, it works out just fine.

Maybe I'll try getting some pics showing what I'm talking about.

Thanks to everyone for your recommendations. I have decided to go with the Lian LI PC-P80 Armorsuit.

Back