New Case from Lian Li - the PC-9F

There's definitely enough room for a 140mm fan. I'd say the clearance is around 1.5 inches.

IMG_2763.jpg

I wonder why Lian Li didn't paint the interior and add tool-less PCI like they did for the PC-7FNWX and the PC-70FNWX. :confused:

Still have to organize and tie down some cables, replace the one Kama Flow 2 up front with an M12-P and SLI the 460 GTX SC...

5070989350_30df7364e9_b.jpg

5070357871_efe6eb6afb_b.jpg

5070357965_ef981d353f_b.jpg

5070963392_1071abe65a_b.jpg

5070358091_3af0e67cfe_b.jpg

1. Required four #6-32 x 1.5" screws in order to mount the H70.
2. Crosshair IV Extreme makes contact with the Noiseblocker PK-3 140mm on top.
4. SATA cables are strained at the MB connection due to the HDD cage.
3. H70 does not make contact with the Noiseblocker PK-3 140mm.

I really like the look,and work you did adamlau ..Outstanding!
Yeah..ya need some wiring work,but great job enjoy :D

Last edited:
I haven't tried, but it seems pretty tight with my Ven-X. Depends on your cooler, I would say....

I haven't tried, but it seems pretty tight with my Ven-X. Depends on your cooler, I would say....

Do you mind taking a measurement? I'm also running the EP45-UD3P, Venomous X with 2 Noctua 120mm NF-P12.

The top fan is a bit of a dealbreaker for me :(

Realy nice, I got mine 2weeks ago, I'll post you some pics!
I'm surprise not a lot of people buy this case, it is a good case full alu and not that expensive for what it is!

I have a question: Did someone remove the support for hdd? I mean the base is fixed in the case, I want to remove it, but don't know how to proceed, I obviously don't want to damage my case.

IMG_2720.jpg

Ordered mine off of Performance-PC's. My only gripe is that the HDD retention plate on the bottom is riveted in, so I'm not able to put my silenced HD enclosure there. It's currently running externally, but I'm planning on moving to an SSD and mounting it in between the optical drive and media card reader. I previously had an A12, so it's nice having the PSU on the bottom. Overall the case is stylish in its simplicity and practicality.

I'll be ordering this case soon, and I'm removing the hdd cage like choppy here.

Only thing is, you're left with this ugly void where nothing can be hidden. I thought about plexiglass in an "L" shape to cover some things.

Do you guys know if there is enough room for something like this?

lianlipc9f.jpg

Yeah there is enough space to do it! But your plexi sheet will stop at the power suply, no space to fit it under the side of the power suply if you know what I mean!

Here a picture of my system, as you can see I did sleeve some of my cables but work is not done yet..
I am looking for a way to anodize the inside of my case.. will let you know when it is done, and add some pictures, and this time, some great pictures (not with iphone..).

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply exexs. I'm still trying to spin some ideas on what to do, but ultimately I'll have to wait until I actually get the case. Good luck with the anodizing!

Good luck to get the case too!
@ adamlau: You have really good stuff in your case, you should organize your cables, maybe sleeve them? =D And maybe paint/anodize the inside of the case? I belive that this case deserve more interest, I only see few reviews and forum about this case... Let's increase the interest by making beautiful systems! (I know I have a lot to do too, even more! :D)

realize its 2 weeks old, but I love how this case worked out for me... went with Xigmatek fans all around and did a window with a 5mm piece of clear acrylic.. Not quite as good w/ air cooling as my antec 900 was... but that thing was full of dust inside of a week... Im thinking of removing the HDD cage and stowing the drives up in the 5.25" bays with rubber mounts or something... should increase air flow...

Also the 140mm fan up top with this board was a VERY tight fit... VRM heatsinks get in the way a tad... (gigabyte p45 usb3)

sorry for low res shots.. dont own a real camera.

2010-10-16_18-24-04_375.jpg

2010-10-16_18-23-33_945.jpg

2010-10-16_18-23-43_6.jpg

I forgot how to mount the long HDD bracket lock to the removable HDD cage. Anyone know or can reference a photo on the 8" HDD lock assembly?

realize its 2 weeks old, but I love how this case worked out for me... went with Xigmatek fans all around and did a window with a 5mm piece of clear acrylic.. Not quite as good w/ air cooling as my antec 900 was... but that thing was full of dust inside of a week... Im thinking of removing the HDD cage and stowing the drives up in the 5.25" bays with rubber mounts or something... should increase air flow...

Also the 140mm fan up top with this board was a VERY tight fit... VRM heatsinks get in the way a tad... (gigabyte p45 usb3)

sorry for low res shots.. dont own a real camera.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_X7As6Twz80Q/TL3wh2eHUaI/AAAAAAAAALM/BdJjRU-wu3s/s800/2010-10-16_18-24-04_375.jpg[/IG]
[IMG]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_X7As6Twz80Q/TL3wcSDQbdI/AAAAAAAAALI/Od0KfW-mlRY/s512/2010-10-16_18-23-33_945.jpg[/IG]
[IMG]http://lh6.ggpht.com/_X7As6Twz80Q/TL3wXb7fVeI/AAAAAAAAALE/4xetK1nxkdM/s512/2010-10-16_18-23-43_6.jpg

Shit man! White LED xigmatek with scythe kaze master controller is exactly what I'm doing to mine when I get it! I'm so glad you posted a pic from the front, now I know exactly how those fans will look through that sexy grill. :)

Shit man! White LED xigmatek with scythe kaze master controller is exactly what I'm doing to mine when I get it! I'm so glad you posted a pic from the front, now I know exactly how those fans will look through that sexy grill. :)

It's actually a Lamptron FC-6 fan controller but I know they look similar.

I wish their was more space between the hard drive cage and the front 120mm fans, no way to mount an internal radiator. You would have to use a radbox on the back 120mm.

Who needs all those hard drive cages? Just drill them out!

If you remove it you have 298mm tall to put a rad! (so a 240mm or 280mm rad).
I did remove the cage too! In the 5' you can put 2HDD, 1DvD drive and put your ssd on the back-plate of the motherboard, that's what I did!

Some updated pics of my setup. I changed out the mobo/cpu/ram, put in a new SSD, and drilled out the hdd cage retention backet. Airflow is so good, I changed my S1 8800gt to passive, idle temps are 52 C. The diagonal symmetry between the PSU and the 5.25" bays really looks great in person. I posted more pics in the Lian Li Gallery.

3.jpg

6.jpg

I thought the hard drive mounts are just slide in/out types? Couldn't you just put it in the other way around?

^^^ You can put it in the other way around...but the latch that latches the hard drives down in place will not close.

Well that's a bummer.

I just noticed you have some sound deadening material in your case. What kind? Does it work well?

So I went to check this case out at a local store, since I was intrigued by Lian-Li's offering. I was really surprised when I examined the case and it just felt really flimsy. It also squeaked a bit if pressured in the wrong way. Is this normal for aluminum cases, or is it just the fact that Lian-Li went with really thin aluminum this time around?

I don't agree with some of your comments. Firstly it is really not flimsy and does'nt squeaked when you use it in the right way... I don't really know why you'll have to pressure it in the wrong way? Anyway, the aluminium is sure thin, that is why the case is that cheap and that is why the case isnt heavy. Both qualities are really relevant to me for a case. I would also add that I had a Lian Li X500 and the side panel can be eassily bend too. It is just how cases are made. That is really not a big issue as far as I know.

I dunno...it just seems structurally weak for a case that's nearly $200. And really, it just saves around 5-10 lbs of weight.

The aluminum Silverstones, in comparison, seemed very sturdy.

anyone here that has this case have any vibration issues with it ? Mine has seemed to develop a bit of a hum at time when the hard drives and the fans resonate with the case... Im trying everything to do something but no luck so far... I think im going to try to mount my HDDS in the 5.25 bays with scythe anti-vib mounts and see if removing the HDD cage helps... I think the increased airflow would help as well...

If so ill drill out the HDD cage mount at the bottom of the case as well.

computer.jpg

Here's mine. The case is ok. Wished I could mount the hard drive in reverse so I didn't have to see all of those wires.

I was wondering what top 140 mm fan are you using ?
I have this same case and have had a hard time finding a good quiet 140 that will fit.

Most good 140mm fans only have 120mm mounting options

Thanks
DK

I'm using this fan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...08017&cm_re=140_noctua-_-35-608-017-_-Product

It is VERY tight squeeze up there against my MSI big bang XPOWER. I actually had to cut off one of my four mounting brackets to fit up there.

In hindsight however.....I think I could have gotten away without going with that top fan. The case has plenty good airflow without it.

I've recently added another gtx460 in SLI and my temps were as follows:

28c ambient
25c intake (front of the case)
25c intake (top 140mm fan)
32c inbetween gtx460 sli
38c exhaust

Well that's a bummer.

I just noticed you have some sound deadening material in your case. What kind? Does it work well?

It's an acoustipack ultimate from frozencpu.com

I've read so many people's experience with sound deadening. From what I've read...the general consensus is you really don't need it. With this in mind.....I didn't care what anyone said and bought it anyway.

After installing it though.....it didn't make much of a difference....but it did deaden up the fan noise just a touch. The difference is minimal with a premium price. To me it was worth it. To others....I can understand why they would say its not worth it.

I'm using this fan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...08017&cm_re=140_noctua-_-35-608-017-_-Product

It is VERY tight squeeze up there against my MSI big bang XPOWER. I actually had to cut off one of my four mounting brackets to fit up there.

In hindsight however.....I think I could have gotten away without going with that top fan. The case has plenty good airflow without it.

I've recently added another gtx460 in SLI and my temps were as follows:

28c ambient
25c intake (front of the case)
25c intake (top 140mm fan)
32c inbetween gtx460 sli
38c exhaust

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

I about a Thermalright TY-140, but It didnt come with mounting adapters for it to fit in a 140mm mount.

I will check out your fan.

Does this case come with front air filters? I know that the B25F does and I did see someone using some in a youtube video. I'm really thinking about picking up this case.

Edit, looks like it does. I'm really thinking about this case.

Last edited:
Yes, there are front filters. The enclosed fans were not particularly effective, so I replaced mine with Scythe fans. The all-metal case feels a bit thin, but works fine, isolating noise well. As I only use 2 harddrives, I removed the large harddrive cage with a smaller one, placed just in front of the PSU for better air flow.
My SSD is placed in the disc drive space, via a 2,5-->3,5" adapter.

All in all it is a very nice case, which I really like :)

Will this case fit CPU coolers 170mm tall like the Thermalright Archon? Most coolers like the VenomX and TRUE are 160mm tall and I know these cut it close on some cases.

Thanks!

I just ordered this case from Provantage. Saved $15 over NewEgg's price, too ($144 vs. $159). It'll take a bit longer to get here, but it's worth it. Can't wait!

Back