New Case Decision

GDstew4

[H]ard|Gawd
Based on my searching so far, I've narrowed it down to these two:

Silverstone Kublai
Cooler Master 690

Both are at the same price at the moment, though the Silverstone requires sending in for a mail-in-rebate. I like the SS due to it's lighter weight (17.7<21.6) and overall smaller dimensions, nice for LAN parties, and I also like the side window and easy access to the front fan and drivebays. In the 690 I like the placement of the PSU at the bottom and the top-side external connections as well as the side panel fan.

If there are any other cases out there I may have missed that could fit the bill this is what I'm looking for:

~$100, Lan-able, mid-tower, bottom psu, window, black, clean design, removable motherboard tray. Budget is the biggest factor, $150 will probably turn me away unless it's got everything I want and more.

Out of tehm two i would go for the coolermaster.
Have you had a look at the Antec 300?

Out of tehm two i would go for the coolermaster.
Have you had a look at the Antec 300?

Hadn't really looked at that one, very nice. Though I think I'd like at least 4 5.25" bays. I think I'll go with the Cooler Master as well after looking through the 690 thread here :)

Thats a nice coolmaster. I love mine *see sig* Though mine is a little different from the 690. Still a great case

Hadn't really looked at that one, very nice. Though I think I'd like at least 4 5.25" bays. I think I'll go with the Cooler Master as well after looking through the 690 thread here :)

Just wondering why you would need 4 5.25 drive bays?:confused:

If you are looking at the 690 you might want to look at the 590 as well, its pretty much the same chassis, with a bit different looks and it has 9 5.25" bays with a 4-in-3 HDD module. It's what I am using right now, and for the price it's hard to beat.

Personally, I'd spring for the 690. I own one of these (as well as having reviewed it), and while not as sexy as the Silverstone, the CoolerMaster wins out simply because it offers much more accessibility where wire management is concerned, as well as the fact that it also features eSATA connectivity which the Kublai does not.

I like my 690, but I prefer the 590's front panel. I prefer the front ports and buttons over the top/side.

Dislikes: The plastic on the 690's front panel seems a bit cheap. I replaced the superbright blue power LED with the red HDD LED, and used an orange LED I had around for the HDD. Likewise, I replaced all the CM fans (including the blue LED one in front) with Yate Loons. Also, my Antec TPQ-850 is quite long, so it covers up about half of the cable opening at the bottom. Compare mine to HL's, using the door latch slot on the bottom as a reference point.

If you don't need it right away, you can probably find the 690 on sale for $70 (what I paid 11/07) or less. If you really want a window, they make a replacement side panel for the 690 too. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999177 According to the comments, it will fit the 590 also.

yeah but the thing is, light cases = shitty quality. get a lian li case and never have to think about it again.

yeah but the thing is, light cases = shitty quality. get a lian li case and never have to think about it again.

Wanna bet? My Lian Li PC-A70 resonates like the Grand Canyon. Any fans inside and I can hear it and its annoying.

690 is a great case.

alu cases suffer from vibration and resonance problem. Sadly few companies focus on making NICE metal cases. I do like the 690 but its just not as pretty as Lian Li in person because of things like plastic chrome trim or the button quality.

I am getting some dampening material to deal with the thin ALU panels on my next case. I have decided that looks matter quite a bit. I would rather mod an aluminum case to fix the resonating problem then be stuck with a cheaper looking case

<snip>... Also, my Antec TPQ-850 is quite long, so it covers up about half of the cable opening at the bottom. <snip>

I have the same power supply as you, and am getting a 690. I was wondering if your Aux Power cable (the 4/8 pin one) was long enough to route behind the motherboard tray? Or will I need a short extension for that to work? (As for that opening... I know just how to deal with that! :) )

Cooler master's customer service sucks. Blows too. I have one of their products, lost a couple of small bits, and after five emails to their customer service division over two months I have yet to receive a reply. It may be a good product, but do you really want to support a company that doesn't bother to provide customer service or access to replacement parts?

I have the same power supply as you, and am getting a 690. I was wondering if your Aux Power cable (the 4/8 pin one) was long enough to route behind the motherboard tray? Or will I need a short extension for that to work? (As for that opening... I know just how to deal with that! :) )

Yes. Mine runs through the PSU hole, under the tray, and back through the top hole to plug into the board.

My board has a molex plug for extra power near the back side of the ports, above the video card. That one I ran up with the 24-pin above the board. I'll have to look into hiding that better sometime.

Cooler master's customer service sucks. Blows too. I have one of their products, lost a couple of small bits, and after five emails to their customer service division over two months I have yet to receive a reply. It may be a good product, but do you really want to support a company that doesn't bother to provide customer service or access to replacement parts?

I have a friend that busted a USB port on the top I/O panel of his Cosmos S. One email to inquire about it, another email to send the RMA form back and 10-days later he has a new I/O panel. No charge. Looks like good, prompt service to me.

I guess this statement would be true if you bought some crummy, piece of crap enclosure. However, the nice thing about computer cases is that they are not all created equal. Case in point? The Lian Li PC60FW, which is practically featherweight but built like a tank.

You can read a review that I wrote on it here: Lian Li PC60FW Case Review

My Lian Li PC-A70 resonates like the Grand Canyon. Any fans inside and I can hear it and its annoying.
Combination mat with heavy base layer or even standard bitumen mat would take that light rattling away very effectively.
Also throw away vibrating roller fans, there are good fans available very cheaply.
(Scythe Slip Stream)

alu cases suffer from vibration and resonance problem.
It's not a question of material but mass and rigidity.
I've heard worst resonances from thin steel cases.
(for example Antec Sonata vibrates very easily)

Back