New case advice

Ultima99

Supreme [H]ardness
So I have this old ATX case thats been through several builds, currently my i7 920 and its well past its time and ready to go.

I have been looking through cases on newegg and such and been looking around on our forums because honestly I don't keep up on cases like some of you guys do and am looking to you case pros for suggestions.

I want to keep the price to a max of $120 including shipping.

Qualities I want:
Mid ATX
Clean straightforward looks
Black or grey for color, silver/chrome is fine for accents
Flat
No PSU
Decent airflow (not using water)
Decent cable management

Bad:
Showy or complex looks
LEDs/lights
Glossy/Shiny

I can go with or without a window, I dont really care either way as long as the window meets my ideals for looks.

Just to make sure you guys know what I mean

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112154
and
http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/chassis/shinobi-window/

are examples of what I'm looking for.

Addtional thoughts:
I dont want to have to mod anything.

I really like the Shinobi and I'd probably have bought the non window version except it doesnt have the side panel fan mount and the fancy drive mount system.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks guys.

NZXT Source 210 0r Source 210 Elite.
I would probably choose the Shinobi wirh the window, worst case you could trade the window panel to someone who has a case without.

NZXT Source 210 0r Source 210 Elite.
I would probably choose the Shinobi wirh the window, worst case you could trade the window panel to someone who has a case without.

Thing is prefer the non window look but it doesnt have the fan mount which I most certainly want.

My last three cases have been Lian Li. I love them and highly recommend them. If I was looking for a plain Jane type case now I'd really consider the Lian Li PC-9F or PC-Z60. If you wanted something really roomy you could look into the PC-Z70 or PC-V2120. If I was buying a case today it would be a PC-V2120X.

I'll also mention the PC-V1020 which is very nice. It has LED fans but those can be replaced. I replaced the fans in my PC-V354 because I didn't want the blue glow.

Last edited:
My last three cases have been Lian Li. I love them and highly recommend them. If I was looking for a plain Jane type case now I'd really consider the Lian Li PC-9F or PC-Z60. If you wanted something really roomy you could look into the PC-Z70 or PC-V2120. If I was buying a case today it would be a PC-V2120X.

I'll also mention the PC-V1020 which is very nice. It has LED fans but those can be replaced. I replaced the fans in my PC-V354 because I didn't want the blue glow.

The PC-9F is a good possibility, the others are out of my budget just a bit. :(

I had looked at the 400R and didnt care for the front styling so much, but the new 500 does appeal to me more and I am considering it.

I agree, they do look pretty damn good. Thanks.

So I've tried to be patient and sit on this for a bit. Here's what I've come down to.

Bitfenix Shinobi
Fractal Arc Midi
Fractal R3 (new revision http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...00007 600006302&IsNodeId=1&name=ATX Mid Tower )
NZXT Source 210 Elite

I'm also looking at a few Lian Li's though I am concerned with some reviews I've seen for several of their cases concerning quality control. I'm getting the feeling with Lian Li I might be running a higher risk of getting a flawed case than the other brands I'm looking at. Stuff like mounting/screw holes not properly lined up and holes not being threaded properly makes me uneasy as I don't have time to deal with issues like RMA and rebuilding.

I'm sure there are many of happy Lian Li owners to be found, but has anyone here had a negative experience with Lian Li?

So I've tried to be patient and sit on this for a bit. Here's what I've come down to.

Bitfenix Shinobi
Fractal Arc Midi
Fractal R3 (new revision http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...00007 600006302&IsNodeId=1&name=ATX Mid Tower )
NZXT Source 210 Elite

I'm also looking at a few Lian Li's though I am concerned with some reviews I've seen for several of their cases concerning quality control. I'm getting the feeling with Lian Li I might be running a higher risk of getting a flawed case than the other brands I'm looking at. Stuff like mounting/screw holes not properly lined up and holes not being threaded properly makes me uneasy as I don't have time to deal with issues like RMA and rebuilding.

I'm sure there are many of happy Lian Li owners to be found, but has anyone here had a negative experience with Lian Li?

I have a pile of Lian Li cases that I have been using for years. I did noticed on a case I bought recently that the quality seemed to be poor. Mainly the feel of it. Just didn't seem as solid. This was very disappointing because I have used nothing but Lian Li for a decade or more.

I have a pile of Lian Li cases that I have been using for years. I did noticed on a case I bought recently that the quality seemed to be poor. Mainly the feel of it. Just didn't seem as solid. This was very disappointing because I have used nothing but Lian Li for a decade or more.

That was another feeling I got, that their quality had been declining lately...

I have to ask, for the Fractal Arc Midi, does it come with a USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 header? I'm asking for myself if it's between the Arc Midi and 400R.

But from what I can tell of those ones you narrowed it down to, they seem to be good choices. Probably more so for the last 3 on the list.

I'm getting one of the new R3's as soon as they come in stock. Their simple design is elegant and with the sound proofing, I may finally be able to hit the power button and only know my computer is on from the light coming from the power LED and not the sound of fans.

I have to ask, for the Fractal Arc Midi, does it come with a USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 header? I'm asking for myself if it's between the Arc Midi and 400R.

But from what I can tell of those ones you narrowed it down to, they seem to be good choices. Probably more so for the last 3 on the list.

Not sure about the header.

Looks wise I really like the Shinobi and has decent enough reviews which is why it remains on my short list.

Not sure about the header.

Looks wise I really like the Shinobi and has decent enough reviews which is why it remains on my short list.

Since it doesn't look like it has it, but is there one I could buy like the one the 400R has?

That was another feeling I got, that their quality had been declining lately...

The last case that I bought was the PC-P50. I feel like I should give some specifics as I really REALLY like Lian Li products. I paid a bit less than the current $199 at Newegg. I'm comparing it to my 3 PC-60USB, PC-V2100+, PC-V800, PC-V800B and PC-V1100+. I was a little hurt inside when the PC-P50 came in and I un-boxed it. :)

except they're out of stock. I'm looking at the NZXT Phantom. Plenty of space, lots of fan and it's in your price range. The case from Fractal was my first choice. I'm with you there.

The R3 has had an updated revision launch for USB3 support. Newegg is supposed to have them up soon.

The Phantom is a decent case but doesn't meet my understated clean look requirement.

The Rosewill cases deserve a look, I'm a Challenger fan, have not built the USB3 version.
The ASGARD II can mount a front fan but has poor airflow over hard drives unless you modify the front. Rosewill Blackbone is very close internally but passes air.

The Cooler Master 690 II Advanced? Rosewill Blackhawk with a fan change?

I decided to go with the new Fractal R3 revision with USB3. I should get it Thursday and do the swap on Friday.

I'll let you guys know how I like it.

Back