• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

new card questions

catmug

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 10, 2010
Messages
121
Hey guys,

Just purchased the Sapphire 5850 to replace my old 8800GTS 320. I could not be more pumped to finally play games at the correct resolution on my 24" 2410. Anywho, I need a bit of advice: what do I need to do to my system to get it ready for the switch from nvidia to ATI? I understand nuking the current video drivers would make sense, and i'll probably run driver cleaner, but what else do I need to do?

I already have a corsair 520W PSU, so i'm all set there. Thoughts?

catmug
 
depends on what OS you use.. if its vista/7 then you dont really have to bother with removing the drivers.. but you can if you want.. other then that there is nothing else you need to do.. if its XP then you want to completely remove the nvidia drivers then install the ATI drivers from AMD/ATI's website.. dont bother with the drivers that come on the disc with the card..
 
depends on what OS you use.. if its vista/7 then you dont really have to bother with removing the drivers.. but you can if you want.. other then that there is nothing else you need to do.. if its XP then you want to completely remove the nvidia drivers then install the ATI drivers from AMD/ATI's website.. dont bother with the drivers that come on the disc with the card..

I'd use driver sweeper just in case on vista/win7. Who wants additional crud on their hdd?
 
sounds good, I figure I might as well do a clean driver sweep, and just get all the old stuff out. Another question: I currently have an e6750, at stock clock (2.66). I'm running stock cooling, but with as5, and I'm considering trying to push a mild OC to get the most performance out of the old processor. Is it even possible to OC on stock cooling? And, if not, what is the most cost-effective aftermarket solution for that chip?

Thanks everyone.
 
You could try OCing without increasing the voltage to check the temps and if you're not happy with them, go for another solution. Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is pretty good and it's fairly cheap ~30 (it's been cheaper).
 
great! just picked up an ACF7 open box off newegg for $18. Not bad! I'll see what I can do on stock voltage, but just from googling around, it seems 3.0+ is a breeze on this chip. Woot.
 
I'd use driver sweeper just in case on vista/win7. Who wants additional crud on their hdd?


theres no just incase with vista/7 you can run a nvidia and ATI card in the same system with no problems.. so doesnt matter if you leave the nvidia drivers there unless you want the 150 mb of space the drivers use..


as far as the cpu overclock 3ghz should be no problem on that processor..
 
Back
Top