New Camera

-(Xyphox)-

Supreme [H]ardness
I need help with suggest for a new camera for my wife.
She currently has a Kodak 5.1MP Z Series, Really nice camera just getting old.
I am looking to spend 200-300 on a camera.

I'm a Canon guy myself, they've never failed me.

It really depends on what your wife likes to photograph, if she wants a compact camera there are so many options: The Powershot/Elph series are nice, feature-rich, pocketable point & shoots; the G series have great optics and powerful manual controls, the S series is a nice mix of the two.

You can pick up an older DSLR for that price as well, if she really wants to get into photography.

Outside of the Canon range I'd look at Nikon, Pentax, or Casio. Avoiding anything that relies on proprietary memory card formats like MemoryStick or xD cards.

I'm a Canon guy myself, they've never failed me.

It really depends on what your wife likes to photograph, if she wants a compact camera there are so many options: The Powershot/Elph series are nice, feature-rich, pocketable point & shoots; the G series have great optics and powerful manual controls, the S series is a nice mix of the two.

You can pick up an older DSLR for that price as well, if she really wants to get into photography.

Outside of the Canon range I'd look at Nikon, Pentax, or Casio. Avoiding anything that relies on proprietary memory card formats like MemoryStick or xD cards.

She loves taking pictures of our animals and the outdoors<lives in Michigan>.I do not really need something compact. I am looking for performance and quality rather then small size. I am looking for a new unit. Features are a plus too. I have not looked at camera's in 4 years so i am way out of the loop. I will look at the model of the one we have now. I have a really nice 8GB SDHC card already waiting for it. I got it for our camera that we have now not knowing it only supports up to 2GB. Easy of use is nice for her seeing i have to show her how to use it. But of course i like the manual controls and features.

go to steve's digicam and look at reviews - he takes pictures of the same objects in each review for comparisons.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

I personally can't see how most anyone except a professional photographer needs much more than a Canon Powershot. I've got a four MP one Canon A520 that is an oldie but a goodie. Pictures of people are still top notch in good lighting!

It completely depends on what you want the camera to do.

Here is what you should consult, the beginning and the end:

www.dpreview.com

As a general rule:

P&S - lots of good options, but you can't go wrong with a cheap Canon
Advanted P&S - Canon & Panasonic
Prosumer - Canon & Panasonic

My suggestions are:

Canon SD series if you want something grab and go. Punchy colors, no nonsense shooting (auto everything), good image quality.

Panasonic TZ series if you want something compact, lots of zoom, wide angle, good image quality.

Panasonic LX3 for an excellent fast wide angle shooter. This is what I'll be buying shortly. Good for taking pictures in low light, landscape, and fast movement. Not ideal for long distance (low zoom).

Panasonic GF1 for Digital SLR quality in a near compact consumer body. This is an expensive new camera that gets rave reviews.

Back