• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New C2D System - Budget $1000

airrob

n00b
Joined
Aug 9, 2004
Messages
30
My roommate is looking to buy a new computer. He's looking to spend around $1000 including a LCD. Here's what we've got so far:

Core 2 Duo E6400 - $223
Corsair 1 gig PC4200 (2x512) RAM - $130
Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI Mobo - $82
NEC 3550A DVD Writer - $30
Seagate 7200.9 80 gig drive - $50
Acer 19" Monitor (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16824009083) - $188
Antec Sonata II - $90
BFG 7900GS - $220
Total - $1046

What do you guys think?
 
I've heard that the nvidia intel boards don't OC too well nor are they stable.


Second, why get an SLI motherboard when you probably don't need it?
 
I personally wouldn't go near an Acer monitor, they are usually quite low end in quality.

Hard drive... you could probably quadruple the size for just a few bucks more with a 320GB Seagate 7200.10. And the motherboard is good maybe for very moderate overclocking, although of course don't expect much from it.

Case is nice, Sonata's are a bit cramped but they are well made and look great. I wouldn't skimp on the RAM like you did though. 2x512MB is not quite enough if you are planning on running Vista or playing games (as I guess you want to do looking at your graphics card selection). I would just pay the extra since you are buying everything anyways and get AT LEAST stock speed PC5300 memory, and the best is to just go with 2GB of PC6400 stuff and call it a day.

I think your biggest problem is that for just a little more on the Hard Drive/Monitor/RAM, you could have a MUCH better system. Building something as powerful as a C2D machine, you deserve to do it right the first time, not spend a ton of money and get cheap parts that you will regret later.

EDIT: I would not go with an E6300, because of the lower multiplier you will need much better RAM to be able to overclock and stay at a 1:1 ratio, and you will need a better motherboard to be able to handle the increased bus speeds. I would stick with the E6400, get some PC6400 memory and run it at 3.2GHz with a 400MHz bus. That way you have stock running memory and an overclocked FSB and CPU.

Perfect! Also plan on a new HSF for the CPU. My recommendation is the Skythe Ninja, they are awesome ;)
 
If you don't plan on OC'ing, what your OP has is fine. If you do plan on OC'ing, get the better ram and mobo. btw, the 7900GT's are like $230 (after $30MIR)... I'd go for that instead of a 7900GS for $220.
 
Back
Top