New C2D Build

Looks good should be able to get 3.2-3.3ghz if you have a decent chip. Only thing that may be a problem is your PSU (I would upgrade to a 2-3 rail one)
 
With either of those video cards your power supply is ok. If you are making a folding machine to run SMP Linux then you have (IMHO) a perfect recipe of low cost and fly like the wind.
 
Looks like a great budget build with room to grow.
I like the choice of a single stick of 1Gb now, so you can get a 2nd one later when you can afford it (or need it).

The PSU is a little weak if you plan on upgrading the videocard later. I'd go for a 430+ Watt PSU.

Maybe look in to a 7300 videocard.
 
Looks like a great budget build with room to grow.
I like the choice of a single stick of 1Gb now, so you can get a 2nd one later when you can afford it (or need it).

The PSU is a little weak if you plan on upgrading the videocard later. I'd go for a 430+ Watt PSU.

Maybe look in to a 7300 videocard.

Yea, the video card is just there because I need a PCi-E card. I could probably even use a PCI card. Doesn't matter to me as I don't game.

I'll upgrade the PSU when there is a game that I want to play.
 
Yea, the video card is just there because I need a PCi-E card. I could probably even use a PCI card. Doesn't matter to me as I don't game.

I'll upgrade the PSU when there is a game that I want to play.

Problem is in a year or 2 you might want (or need) to upgrade to Vista which needs a decent videocard. The 7300 MIGHT be good enough to run Aero smoothly. Maybe just get a 965G motherboard. They don't overclock as well, but it will let you save the money on the videocard for now, to buy a better PSU. Then get something like an 8200-8400 (whatever the Geforce 8 bottom of line is called) later.
 
Problem is in a year or 2 you might want (or need) to upgrade to Vista which needs a decent videocard. The 7300 MIGHT be good enough to run Aero smoothly. Maybe just get a 965G motherboard. They don't overclock as well, but it will let you save the money on the videocard for now, to buy a better PSU. Then get something like an 8200-8400 (whatever the Geforce 8 bottom of line is called) later.

I plan on probably upgrading to an 8800 or 8900 later along with a Seasonic PSU. Because I am not interested in any games right now and I only need it for video editing, the worst video card is good enough. I don't plan on getting Vista anytime soon or at all.

I must overclock or I wouldn't get a E4300.
 
Back
Top