Just_Visiting
Weaksauce
- Joined
- Feb 3, 2008
- Messages
- 77
So I started with 8-500GB's on a perc5i, then upgraded to 8-1TB's. I'm back down to about 500GB free so I figure it's time to make a major upgrade. Right now I'm using a supermicro 825TQ chassis. I'm using Windows Server 08 r2. I've been using openfiler as an iscsi target for backup for all my docs, photos, and music using some free rsync software for a year. I have about 4TB of movies that I backup to a friends WHS periodically. I also play a little with esxi.
My goal is to have the openfiler box become the primary storage box with the w2k08 being converted to a vm. My esxi box could use an upgrade at the same time. I've been eyeing those Supermicro x9scm motherboards for a little while now.
For storage, I'm leaning towards the hitachi 3TB 5400 rpm drives (8 to start with). I know for sure I looking at the following:
Openfiler
Phase I
Norco 4224
LSI 9261 or Adaptec 6805 (RAID 6)
8-3TB drives
Phase II
Expander
8-3TB Drives
ESXI
Supermicro X9SCM-F-O
E3-1240 3.3GHz
16GB RAM (2x8GB)
Probably reuse the supermicro 825TQ chassis
I've already ordered the Norco and Supermicro motherboard for the ESXI build. I hate building both at the same time. I have enough computers at home to move all the existing data while building/rebuilding both boxes.
My goal is to have the openfiler box become the primary storage box with the w2k08 being converted to a vm. My esxi box could use an upgrade at the same time. I've been eyeing those Supermicro x9scm motherboards for a little while now.
For storage, I'm leaning towards the hitachi 3TB 5400 rpm drives (8 to start with). I know for sure I looking at the following:
Openfiler
Phase I
Norco 4224
LSI 9261 or Adaptec 6805 (RAID 6)
8-3TB drives
Phase II
Expander
8-3TB Drives
ESXI
Supermicro X9SCM-F-O
E3-1240 3.3GHz
16GB RAM (2x8GB)
Probably reuse the supermicro 825TQ chassis
I've already ordered the Norco and Supermicro motherboard for the ESXI build. I hate building both at the same time. I have enough computers at home to move all the existing data while building/rebuilding both boxes.