New Build

tinate

Limp Gawd
I'm venturing into the computer building business for the first time. My last computer was built by someone else, but I'm taking the lead on this one. Tell me what you guys think about this setup. The price listed is either what I paid or what I can get it for. I've only gotten the processor and RAM. Yes, this will be a gaming PC.

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz - $125

MSI 890FXA-GD70 Motherboard - AMD 890FX, Socket AM3, ATX, DDR3, RAID, SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0 - $175

CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model TW3X4G1333C9A G - $68

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - $75

SAPPHIRE 100282-3SR Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity - $280

Corsair TX750W 750-Watt Power Supply - ATX, 140mm Fan, SLI-Ready, SATA-Ready, 80Plus - $80

Not sure about case yet. Suggest one if you can.

Does everything look good? Are any of my choices retarded?

Nice, but if you're just gaming the 1055T might not be the best choice. An Athlon II x4 is cheaper, and can overclock quite well. You wouldn't see any real difference outside of a few benchmarks. If you're a heavy multi-tasker, then your build looks solid.
If you can afford it, look at a small SSD to use as a boot drive. Some nice ones, which are 30-40GB capacity and more than enough fora boot drive, cost around $100. Just use the Seagate as a drive for games, documents, media, and general storage.

Nice, but if you're just gaming the 1055T might not be the best choice. An Athlon II x4 is cheaper, and can overclock quite well. You wouldn't see any real difference outside of a few benchmarks. If you're a heavy multi-tasker, then your build looks solid.
If you can afford it, look at a small SSD to use as a boot drive. Some nice ones, which are 30-40GB capacity and more than enough fora boot drive, cost around $100. Just use the Seagate as a drive for games, documents, media, and general storage.

I know it's not the best choice, but the price was too good to pass up. Afaik most games aren't cpu heavy anyway.

I plan to probably get a small SSD later. It's just not worked into my initial budget.

Do you see any problem with anything I've chosen? Any stupid bottlenecks? Any place I should invest more or less?

From what I can see, you're in a good spot. If you're going to overclock, you should get a decent cooler. There are some great ones at around $30, like the Xigmatek 1284. Your chips should hit at least 3.2Ghz with no to very little voltage adjustment, and much higher if you're willing to deal with added temps and power draw.

From what I can see, you're in a good spot. If you're going to overclock, you should get a decent cooler. There are some great ones at around $30, like the Xigmatek 1284. Your chips should hit at least 3.2Ghz with no to very little voltage adjustment, and much higher if you're willing to deal with added temps and power draw.

Great! It looks like my research paid off then.

I was looking at something like http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=FAN-B10212&c=CJ for a cooler. Will that fit in any standard case like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811517004 ? I'm planning on grabbing that case.

Also, Is 750W enough for crossfired 5850s down the road?

Great cooler choice. Don't know for sure if it'll fit in that case, but I'm willing to bet it will with no problems. 750w should be enough for Crossfire, especially since you're using a known quality PSU.

DO NOT get a 30 gb SSD....I picked up a 64GB one and I barely fit Windows 7/Firefox/Adobe CS3/Open Office/Office 2007. Once I did some streamlining I got it down to 35GB. Still a bit tight but better. I would find that 30GB ssd would be basically useless..Props to people who got that working for em, i just need the apps I use on my main drive....Open office is painfully slow on a tradition HDD, but on a SSD both it and CS3 are lightening fast.

FYI I got the "so-so" Western Digital SiliconEdge Blue, and I love it...there are better ssd's out there, but I got it cheap and was surprised by how fast and nice it is. BTW Superwiiz has the Kingston 64GB SSD for $135....good deal!

DO NOT get a 30 gb SSD....I picked up a 64GB one and I barely fit Windows 7/Firefox/Adobe CS3/Open Office/Office 2007. Once I did some streamlining I got it down to 35GB. Still a bit tight but better. I would find that 30GB ssd would be basically useless..Props to people who got that working for em, i just need the apps I use on my main drive....Open office is painfully slow on a tradition HDD, but on a SSD both it and CS3 are lightening fast.

FYI I got the "so-so" Western Digital SiliconEdge Blue, and I love it...there are better ssd's out there, but I got it cheap and was surprised by how fast and nice it is. BTW Superwiiz has the Kingston 64GB SSD for $135....good deal!

Strange, I have everything you do plus quite a bit more on my SSD and I'm only using 16GB. You should probably turn of Hibernation if you don't need it and you'll save a bit of room. You should also put the User folder(My Document, My pictures, My Music and such) to a different drive as they have no need to be on a SSD. The only exception being extremely large files that you're using with CS3.

Last edited:
Strange, I have everything you do plus quite a bit more on my SSD and I'm only using 16GB. You should probably turn of Hibernation if you don't need it and you'll save a bit of room. You should also put the User folder(My Document, My pictures, My Music and such) to a different drive as they have no need to be on a SSD. The only exception being extremely large files that you're using with CS3.

I give you props friend! :D

SD had it up last week. $50MIR + $25 BCB.

that MIR is expired, you had to buy the chip by friday

as for choice, that is a nice set up.....i would suggest the SunBeam CoreContact Freezer, i love mine, my OC temps(~500 mhz for 24/7) is only 2 deg C higher than stock speeds.......

as for case....look at the Antec 902...nice case than the one you chose, and the exact same look.....if you want a big case, the Antec 1200 is a great case(love mine) or the HAF 932(cooler maser i believe)

that MIR is expired, you had to buy the chip by friday

as for choice, that is a nice set up.....i would suggest the SunBeam CoreContact Freezer, i love mine, my OC temps(~500 mhz for 24/7) is only 2 deg C higher than stock speeds.......

as for case....look at the Antec 902...nice case than the one you chose, and the exact same look.....if you want a big case, the Antec 1200 is a great case(love mine) or the HAF 932(cooler maser i believe)

As I said, I've already gotten the processor. The MIR has already been sent out.

The 902 is $40 more including ship. How is it nicer? The Sunbeam does not list that it's compatible with AM3.

sorry missed that, however, i would also suggest looking at the Antec TruPower New 750W over the corsair....its partially modular and just as good, and usually around the same price(not that the TX750 is bad, ive done a build with it and it was nice, just so many dam cables)

edit: the SUnBeam CCTF can also be had for ~$25 from newegg shipped quite often with MIR

sorry missed that, however, i would also suggest looking at the Antec TruPower New 750W over the corsair....its partially modular and just as good, and usually around the same price(not that the TX750 is bad, ive done a build with it and it was nice, just so many dam cables)

edit: the SUnBeam CCTF can also be had for ~$25 from newegg shipped quite often with MIR

Cool thanks for the suggestions.

I went ahead and ordered the PSU and Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus. Dont I need a case wider than 8" to fit that heatsink?

I think 175$ for amd mobo is complete waste I'd rather go with cheaper 890gx and upgrade radeon to 5870.

And for god's sake don't buy seagate .12 series hdd.

I think 175$ for amd mobo is complete waste I'd rather go with cheaper 890gx and upgrade radeon to 5870.

And for god's sake don't buy seagate .12 series hdd.

Why is it a waste? The 890gx has an integrated graphics card. THAT seems like a waste?

Ya I'm reading more bad things about that drive. Any suggestions?

i wouldnt get sapphire vid card. warranty is better with xfx assuming you can find one.

Back