New Build Worked then Died

NExUS1g

Gawd
I just completed a new build with the following specs...

i7 5820K
X99S Krait Edition msi motherboard
12GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 2333
2x 980 Ti in SLI
Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w PSU
3 256 GB SSD's in RAID 0 (PCIe RAID controller -- SIIG brand)
3 500 GB SSD's (will be RAID 0 on a separate volume eventually)
H100i

Corsair C70 case (ammo can).

So when I completed the build, I had issues getting the system to start. After checking the various usual suspects like loose cables and ensuring there weren't any possible shorts, I was able to get it to boot, set up the PCIe RAID and install Windows. However, after Windows finished installing and was booting up properly for the first time, the computer simply last all power and now won't turn back on.

There's a blue light on the lower back of the motherboard the is on, but the power and reset switches that are on the actual motherboard that are lit up when things are working properly are not lit up, and the computer is otherwise not responsive.

I had a ZxR internal sound card that I removed because I thought it might have been pushing on the power or reset switch on the motherboard, but that doesn't seem to have improved the situation.

Anyone ever heard of a similar issue or have any ideas?

does it work fine if you boot it barebone?
no raid card, one ssd... one stick of ram and no video card?
//Danne

No. I tried one sick of RAM in various slots, removed all but absolutely necessary peripherals (1 video card, h100i hookups, ATX power and one SSD).

I just tried the PSU from my old system as well to rule out a PSU issue. Same thing every time: blue light behind PCIe 5 and nothing else.

I tried clearing the CMOS and switching to BIOS 2.

All the same results.

According to the manual, the LED that's on is labeled as "MSI" and it being on means "debug". However, the error code readout on the motherboard is not lit, and there's no other information online regarding it, that I can find.

Man the best way to find the problem is to remove all "extras" use just 1 slot of RAM 1 HDD 1 Graphic card, then reset Bios. Make tests in this way, if nothing changes then try changing the Power Supply (very common).
This is important, Make sure that your Motherboard is not making any contact (you know the pins behind the motherboard) with the pc box.

Also if is possible try using another motherboard

I had a similar problem a few weeks back wher I had Windows installing on a new build and it just died. Completely dead after that. Thought it was the power supply but turned out to be the motherboard (Asus gene z170).

You'll have to do trial and error

Well, I don't have another 2011 motherboard to try. The PSU is working because I tried it in my old system and booted it just fine. The video cards are both working in the old system as well as the drives. I think I'm just going to give msi a ring and talk to them about the warranty (just got it a month or so ago). Or maybe drive it back down to Fry's, but not sure if they'll even have a replacement since they're moving stock over to the 100-series chipsets. That is, unless someone else can think of something else to try? I certainly can't.

Last edited:
Did you reset CMOS? Try removing the motherboard and doing a visual inspection. Then test out of the case and not wired other than to the PSU.

Clear CMOS is the only think I can recommend. Other than that it just sounds like a dead motherboard. Good luck man

After calling msi this morning, they had no new things for me to try. It appears that there are more boards in stock at my local Fry's where I got this one, so I'm going to head over there hopefully today or tomorrow to pick up another board and see if that will fix the issue. I'll let the thread know what happens.

So I took the motherboard back to Fry's and picked up an ASUS X99 instead. Installed and worked wonderfully.

Back