New build wont turn on PLEASE HELP :(

Buztafen

Limp Gawd
Evening all,

Im in need of your help, ive just put together comp with the following parts

Q6600
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6 http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2831
G.Skill 2 x 2GB PC2-6400 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-Memory+(Desktop+Memory)-_-G.SKILL-_-20231122
8800GTX
Zalman CNPS9500 CPU Cooler

Problem is it wont turn on! When i press the power button it starts for around 3 secs, gives 1 post beep then turns off. Then it seems to cycle through this process endlessly...?

Ive tried re-seating the CPU, differrent combinations of memory sticks (1 in, both in, swapped etc) and a different GPU (X1900XTX) with the same result.

There are onboard LED's to use as diagnostics. 1 is a long bar of LED's to indicate CPU loading (4 green, 4 orange, 4 red in a long line). When the power buttons is pressed these all light up indicating full load i think.

Could there be a problem with the CPU? Is it the board? All parts are new except the GPU's and Zalman.

Is there something im missing?

Please help! :rolleyes:

bench test it, yank the ram, vid card, hd's and cd-roms

just the mother board, cpu and psu

if it still dose it, take the board out of the case, and try one more time.. if it still dose it, swap psu''s. still, its eather the mobo or the cpu

if its fixed out of the case, its a stand off or other short.

if its error codeing with out vid, mem,drives find the code (should be ram or vid at this point(assumeing ram))

replace the part its codeing for ((ram) or vid but not both) should give a different code should be for the other part (vid) replace that part

if it gose back to not booting its eather the newest part (vid) or ram is being incompatable (yank the ram and see if you get the ram error codes at this point) if you get ram error code, swap the ram (NEW ram)

if every thing works at this point, hook your drives back up.. if it fails, its one of the drives. if it boots, as normal, its a standoff or other short in the case

I will try all this and post back, cheers.

Sorry really new to this problem finding ], my other builds have all worked fine...unlucky number 3 eh.

So even with only the CPU, PSU attached i should power it and see if it remains on?

Ok with only the cpu cooler plugged in the motherboard the same thing happens. Just keeps cycling over and over, leds for cpu load are all on, the fan goes for a split second when its on....?

There are ACPI LED's on the board showing system power status (S0, S1, S2, S3, S4/5). The S3 led is lit up at the moment?

if the cpu is new then I would look at the psu. check the output switch at the back to make sure its on 110v and not the euro equivalent. Triple check all the psu connections especially the 24 pin.

There is an outside chance that the mobo is not grounded correctly, did you use those screws with the little red washers?

if the cpu is new then I would look at the psu. check the output switch at the back to make sure its on 110v and not the euro equivalent. Triple check all the psu connections especially the 24 pin.

There is an outside chance that the mobo is not grounded correctly, did you use those screws with the little red washers?

The mobo is raised up from the removeable tray on some nuts but ive not put any washers between the board and the nuts, though this i s how it was with my old mobo which worked fine this morning...?

PSU is a Tagan 600w , its got no volt selector, just a turbo and normal mode selector. Its on normal at the moment. Should i put some rubber washers in between the board and the lower nuts?

is the mobo out of the case yet? that is the next step, then you need to swap psu's

The mobo is attached to a tray which comes out of the case. Case is a Cooler Master Praetorian 730. Should i take it completely of the tray and rest it on a antistatic sheet then try it with just the cpu and psu again?

You don't need washers between the board and standoffs -- those are for old systems. Newer boards use these mounting points as grounding points, so they actually should be touching the metal of the case (standoffs).

When bench testing, no, don't put the board on an anti-static bag. Those bags are slightly conductive. Use a cardboard box, like the box of the mobo.

I doubt its a short, since it stays on for 3 sec. It sounds like its in an endless reboot. Did you reset/clear the CMOS?

Do you hear any post beeps without the ram/vidcard?

From the sticky: Basic Troubleshooting Guide...
/*------------- <cut n paste> -------------*/
This is basic troubleshooting if your system has never POSTed (as in, you just put it together); Though, it may be helpful to others whose system no longer POSTs...
If you have both the 20/24 pin main ATX connector plugged in, AND the 4-Pin (or 8-pin) ATX12V P4 CPU connector plugged in, then the board should boot fine (unless it requires more power connectors from the PSU). First, try clearing the CMOS w/ the proper jumper or button.

The next thing you could do is test the PSU. Jump start it (on the main atx connector, short the green wire with any black wire, using a paperclip), and see if it stays on. If not, then its probably a faulty PSU. If it works then you can proceed with the suggestions below. ***NOTE: The paperclip trick is a simple test for those that do not have PSU testers, multimeters, nor a spare PSU to test with. It is not a 100% conclusive test of the PSU.

How to test with a multimeter @ BFG

Setup everything outside of the case, with the mobo on top of its cardboard box. Plug in only the essentials:
- PSU (namely: main 20/24-pin ATX connector and 4-pin ATX12V P4 CPU Connector; The 4-pin should work in the 8-pin EPS12v plugs, too)
- CPU w/ HSF
- Single stick of ram
- Videocard if there is no onboard video (along with its power connector, if it has one)
- System speaker/buzzer (your board may have an on-board tweeter/buzzer/speaker)
- Monitor & Keyboard

Reset/Clear the CMOS by following the instructions in your mobo manual.

* Use a screwdriver if your board doesnt have an onboard power switch. Jump the two power switch leads to turn the power on.

If it won't post, try different RAM slots. If it still won't post, pull out the ram (so no ram in the system) and listen for error beeps. If none, pull the vidcard and listen for error beeps. If none, re-seat the CPU and HSF, then try again. Report back with results if you're still having issues.
/*------------- </cut n paste> -------------*/

The board has a Clr CMOS button which i have pressed before powering up the system. There are no beeps when it starts up. Just starts up for 3 or 4 seconds then turns off and recycles.

I have the board out of the case on its box and just the GPU, CPU ,1 memory stick and the PSU connected.

Ok ive tried various different compatible components on the board now including a different CPU (my old P4), GPU (another 8800GTX and a X1900XTX) and PSU (my old Tagan 420w) with the same result.

What i have noticed is the cpu fan doesnt spool up fully when i power the board up. It twitches and turns maybe a quarter but then stops. Could the cpu fan port on the mobo be faulty causing the board to restart continually to prevent the cpu from frying itself?

The board is now out of the case and is resting on the box it came in. Ive been follwing the instructions form this site when bench testing.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/building/171424-how-bench-test-your-system.html

Anyone any other ideas?

have you tried pulling the battery? keep the rig out of the case, pull the battery, keep it out for a few minutes, put it back in, clear cmos again then fire it up.

something else to try. :)

I say it's your board. You've already tried different everything but the board, with the same results. Could you possibly borrow a board from someone? When I'm testing parts and can't justify buying the new part (usually sound cards or PSUs), I purchase one from my local Best Buy or Circuit City and use it for a day or two. Then I'll return it for my refund, and if need be, actually get the part I need from newegg or svc. Just a thought.

(But you can't do it too often. The store associates will get wise to you ^_^)

Snaggletooth - must admit haven tried that, how could i miss it :rolleyes: I'll give it an attempt tonight.

That Linux Guy - Unfortunately im in the uk, not many places nearby sell mobo's. Ive got another mobo (the one from my old build in my sig) but i cant try the new Q6600 processor as the 915P chipset doesnt support it. Will test the memory though as the old DFI board takes both DDR and DDR2 memory.

Hopefully poppin the battery out for a while might help out...

There is a Clr CMOS button on the board which i have pressed without result. Is there a proper way off clearing the CMOS other than the button? I cant see a jumper on the board....

Cheers all.

Speaking to Gigabyte support, they have suggested that the CPU Smart Fan Setting is enabled in BIOS which may be the reason behind the CPU Fan not working. I cant currently get into BIOS as the board resets every 3-4 seconds. Would pulling the battery effectively reset the board settings back to default including the BIOS?

The fan not spinning up on startup is normal for any newly built system if that "smart" fan setting is enabled.

So, does the board have an onboard speaker, or did you plug one in to hear the post beeps?
Do you hear any beeps when you pull the RAM?
Do you hear any beeps when you pulled the vidcard?
If you heard no error beeps for either of those, did you try re-seating the CPU?

Right, first things first ive taken the battery out of the board for a good 5 mins before the latest attempts at booting.

Even after doing this I hear no beeps what so ever no matter what configuration i have in the board? Ive reseated the cpu 3 or four times, very carefully inspecting the thermal paste and positioning of the heatsink. Theres only one way of putting the LG775 cpu in, i cant be getting that wrong. Theres no onboard beeper so im using the speaker from my case. It has a 4 pin adapter on it (all in a line plus to minus) which ive slotted into the designated points in the f.panel section on the motherboard using the manual as guidance. I tried with GPU, CPU and 1 stick of ram and keyboard/mouse plugged in (its a usb keyboard and mouse). When powered on it resets after 3-4 seconds with no sounds of any sort then the cycle starts over again. When the board does have power the cpu load leds are showing full load (all 12 led's in a line lit up, 4 green, 4 orange, 4 red)

I then tried with the gpu taken out, this is slightly different it doesnt reset but stays on with the cpu fan stationary (not spinning) and no cpu led's are lit? The ACPI led is on S3 however, which ive read indicates 'Standby' or 'Suspend to ram'.

Ive tried different sticks of ram in all different slots and configs with the same result

Taking both the gpu and ram out so its just the cpu and psu connected has the same result as above.

Im stumped, ive triple checked all connections and the cpu seating, ive put together other build succesfully but ive no idea whats up with this one...?

Hi all,

So ive sent back the motherboard to Gigabyte for repair and theyve just emailed me stating that they found no fault with the board and are sending it back to me.

This leaves me with the possibility that the brand new Q6600 processor i bought is the fault component as i tried it with just the cpu installed. Is this possible? Do CPU's ship dead on arrival?

Thats a possibility if i can find a kindly computer store around these parts, in the middle of nowhere where i live :)

Back