New build... won't boot into Win XP - $10 PayPal Reward

Magnum_RT

n00b
I'm offering $10 to anyone who finds "the fix" for me -- besides buying another copy of Windows retail.

System:
3800+ AM2 X2
DFI Infinity Ultra2
Corsair XMS PC667
ATI X1900GT
Seagate 160GB IDE

O/S:
Windows XP Professional (imaged)

The O/S was imaged from a computer with a standard IBM setup (albeit an Intel), with a 160GB+ IDE hard drive.

All of the components are found and appear to function just fine. When it begins to load windows, it will automatically restart. This occurs if booted in safe mode (it restarts at agp440.sys, though this might just be where it seems to end), and any other mode. It doesn't even get to the windows loading screen, just restarts as it begins the Windows process. Any ideas?

P.S. - The imaged copy is legal, it's from our open business license (we have one license for home network, and another for the physical office network). I can't say I've dealt with this problem before.

P.S.S - I've done this before with no problems. The simple solution would of course be to pop over to the physical office and redo it. But my Father is on vacation for 2+ weeks (international), thus this isn't an option. If I don't get to play DOD quick I'm going to burst! :p

Too many hardware changes between an AMD cpu and board versus the imaged Intel hardware...you are going to have to do a fresh reinstall, a repair install MIGHT get you running, that's if the initial boot from the XP cd can even properly access the imaged install....

best bet is to reformat and load from scratch ..but you could get away with a repair install providing that you have same distro of xp as what the image was made from (ie ...oem or retail ..etc..)

[F]old|[H]ard

1. Was this a sysprep'd image?
2. Is this machine set to reboot on a bluescreen?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

As it's been said, you MUST reformat when making major hardware changes. Usually, swapping out the ram/cpu/video card is enough for (me) to warrant a format, but if you're changing the entire system, you definately can not use your old Windows installation. When Windows is installing, it installs and caters the installation/drivers to your current hardware specification. You cannot just change the entire computer and expect it to magically reset everything :p

Sure you can. If you run sysprep first. ;)

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

m3ta1head said:
As it's been said, you MUST reformat when making major hardware changes.
Read the sticky if you don't think it's possible.

Anyway, if you find an XP disc of the same kind, you should be able to fix it with either the fixboot command or running a repair install.

Just some thoughts though. If you need your father around to get back into the office, it sounds like you don't work for the company...only he does, which would make your VLK illegal. I started a thread on this in GenMay, but what is it with people tinkering with their computers, but not having any of the tools to fix any problems? You're making a major system change, so you should at the VERY least have a legit XP CD sitting next to you at first boot. Secondly, as I mentioned above, there's a sticky on how to prepare your system using Sysprep when moving to new hardware, but that's a moot point here....you already made the hardware switch. That being said, I'll stick to my original suggestion of finding an XP CD and fixing the boot.

it's a long way from a 440bx to an x2 setup...

if you have the new acronis universal restore you can make it work, but not a lot of people have that software yet since it's new

You can try this:

Boot into Recovery Console.
Replace the file.
Reboot.

However, it sounds like you have some HAL.dll issues. Did you change the CPU driver to the lowest possible before sysprepping? Are you the person who made the image?

There is a lot of information you are missing, here, and I'm afraid that the necessary information like the nature of the image build are the only things that will provide a solution. You are going to have to provide us with more information on the tools you have available before we can suggest to you a course of action. I also have similar concerns as djnes, since I tend to err on the side of skepticism when it comes to using company VLKs in a home environment.

djnes said:
Read the sticky if you don't think it's possible.

Anyway, if you find an XP disc of the same kind, you should be able to fix it with either the fixboot command or running a repair install.

Just some thoughts though. If you need your father around to get back into the office, it sounds like you don't work for the company...only he does, which would make your VLK illegal. I started a thread on this in GenMay, but what is it with people tinkering with their computers, but not having any of the tools to fix any problems? You're making a major system change, so you should at the VERY least have a legit XP CD sitting next to you at first boot. Secondly, as I mentioned above, there's a sticky on how to prepare your system using Sysprep when moving to new hardware, but that's a moot point here....you already made the hardware switch. That being said, I'll stick to my original suggestion of finding an XP CD and fixing the boot.

I don't work for the company. But we have a license for both our home (as every PC is networked together, thus we are all covered), as well as the physical business.

But I took everyone's advice and just went out and bit the bullet and purchased an SP2 OEM copy from NewEgg. Hopefully I won't have anymore issues. Thanks though everyone!

Magnum_RT said:
I don't work for the company. But we have a license for both our home (as every PC is networked together, thus we are all covered), as well as the physical business.
Dude, you need to be very careful with company licenses like that, because while the company may have plenty of licenses purchase in their volume account, one inconsistency like a worker's kid installing it on his computer could wind up being costly to the company, either with losing their volume licensing or even surcharges amounting in the tens of thousands. Unless you are positively, absolutely sure of the licensing, don't treat company licenses as if you can install them wherever.

But I took everyone's advice and just went out and bit the bullet and purchased an SP2 OEM copy from NewEgg. Hopefully I won't have anymore issues. Thanks though everyone!
Hey, look on the bright side: better safe than sorry. Besides, now you have a clean install disk instead of one put together for a more specific environment.

Back