• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New Build - Video Card options

Joined
Feb 6, 2010
Messages
4
Hi all,

I'm doing a new build, with an Intel i7 2600k, 8GB Mushkin Blacklines, ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe, Corsair 750W PSU.

So now I'm left with the video card option... I'm thinking AMD/ATI 69XX or 68XX series. I know the 7XXX is just around the corner, but I need a card for this build by the end of the month or so.

It's a single monitor setup 1920x1200, and I'm not going to do Crossfire or SLI or any over clocking other then maybe the on-board overclocking for the i7 with the Z68.

Money is not unlimited so I am still looking for the best bang for my buck with this setup. But I'm thinking ASUS or Saphire for the brand.. (I've read too many horror stories about XFX or Powercooler)

This build will replace my current setup (P4 3.0, 2GB, Saphire ATI 3690), so I know even the 68XX line would blow my mind... but not sure that would be great a year from now with out buying an upgrade.

Anyway any input appreciated.
 
If you want something good a year from now I'd recommend a 6950. If you can get a unlockable one that's a good thing. In that case based on the companies your looking a,t I'd get the Sapphire Toxic 6950.

Here is the review on Hardocp http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/08/29/sapphire_toxic_hd6950_video_card_review

Definitely a good read, and the best review IMHO.

Card goes for about $269.99 after MIR and well worth it.

I agree that a 6870 would probably blow your mind as that card is faster than a GTX 470. However with the Kepler and Southern Islands architecture coming in the next 4-6 months any low-mid range cards will probably feel slow in a year and you'll be upgrading yet again. Not such a bad thing but it doesn't seem your looking forward to that based on your OP.
 
+1 for the HD6870

I think you will be more than happy with he HD6870. It will definety still run games well a year from now, just not max settings. You might have to reduce highest settigns to high, and turn off AA in a few select titles.

Ofcourse th HD6950 is a better video, but costs more. Maybe the HD6950 1GB for ~$50 extra is worth your hard earned cash? (~$150 vs ~$200)
 
Money is not unlimited so I am still looking for the best bang for my buck with this setup. But I'm thinking ASUS or Saphire for the brand.. (I've read too many horror stories about XFX or Powercooler)
It's personal experience really. Asus and Sapphire are the only two brands I point blank refuse to buy from as those are the brands I've had the worst experiences with.
 
Another bid for a (unlockable) 6950. Great card, and great headroom for the price.
 
Just reading the thread about the Sapphire toxic 950 and the issues with it.. not sure I'm sold on that card/brand anymore...

Was also looking at the Gigabyte 6950, how does Gigabyte fair in terms of quality graphic cards, I haven't had much experience with them or the HIS brand ?
 
Last edited:
Asus, Sapphire, XFX, and Gigabyte are all good manufacturers that support their products. Not sure about MSI and Powercolor. Avoid HIS and
and the others!

Sapphire makes good cards but lacks with support (makes you ship overseas).
 
Just reading the thread about the Sapphire toxic 950 and the issues with it.. not sure I'm sold on that card/brand anymore...

Was also looking at the Gigabyte 6950, how does Gigabyte fair in terms of quality graphic cards, I haven't had much experience with them or the HIS brand ?

I've either had, purchased, or helped with the purchase of at least 5 gigabyte 5000 series cards. They've all been flawless. Same for my gigabyte mainboards.
 
Asus, Sapphire, XFX, and Gigabyte are all good manufacturers that support their products. Not sure about MSI and Powercolor. Avoid HIS and
and the others!

Sapphire makes good cards but lacks with support (makes you ship overseas).

Sapphire does not make you ship over seas
 
The GTX 560ti delivers performance and price between the 6870 and 6950. I would look into that card as well, expecially if you like Nvidia.

Buy from(in no particular order):
PNY
Gigabyte
ASUS
EVGA
XFX
Sapphire
PowerColor
MSI
a few more I cannot remember off the top of my head
 
They do if you don't live in the US, IIRC.

Not had any issues with any of my XFX cards. All the sapphires I've had bar one have been an absolute disaster. Only had one Asus graphics card, but it was faulty after only a few weeks, and with the four failed Asus motherboards I've had (out of four), I don't see any reason to trust them with another.
 
Sapphire does not make you ship over seas

True, their US RMAs are handled in california (via athlon micro)...Sapphire does however require you include $15 to cover their return shipping costs, as well as paying to ship their defective card to them, so $25-$30 in shipping per RMA.
 
Back
Top