• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New build, Using Old Builds Graphics Card

Namuh

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 12, 2007
Messages
66
I'm a gamer (Skyrim, BF3 etc)

My old build was a:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

Ram: Corsair XMS3 4 GB PC3-12800 1600Mhz Dual Channel Core i3 i5 i7 DDR3 Memory Kit

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650-Watt TX Series 80 Plus Certified Power

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s 32 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal

GPU: XFX ATI Radeon HD 5850 1 GB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express

My new build is a:

Motherboard:ASUS P8Z77-V LK Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 3x PCIe x16 (2 Gen3, 1 Gen2), 2 PCie x1 & 2 PCI

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.50 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 with a Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Dual Standard 120MM Fans (Push-Pull)

Ram: 16GB XMS Corsair DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory

PSU: 700 Watts SLI/CrossFireX Ready

HDD: 2TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM

GPU: XFX ATI Radeon HD 5850 1 GB DDR5

So as you can see I'm using my old Radeon HD 5850 from my old build. What kind of performance difference do you see from the old build to the new build even if I'm re using the 5850? I'm debating on getting an XFX Radeon HD 7950 Black 3GB Card for my new build. Will I get decent performance with the 5850 still inside the new build or should I just get the 7950? What kind of performance difference do you say I'll get?
 
Last edited:
You may or may not see any performance improvement from the two builds. Any boost you do notice will come from the faster parts overall, not the video card.

Out of curiosity, which specific HDD and PSU did you purchase? What resolution are you using for gaming?
 
Actually I haven't bought the PSU or HD yet, those are the type of parts that I'm looking at to put in my new build though. What would you recommend? I do have the mobo, cpu, and ram though.I play on a 42" LG LED at 1920X1080.
 
If you can afford one, there are a couple of good 750 watt power supplies available. The Corsair TX750 V2 is always a good choice, but the fully modular Seasonic X750 is on sale right now.

The hard drive recommendation is a bit more difficult. The Western Digital Caviar Black and the Hitachi/HGST Deskstar 7K3000 are often recommended, but some people have concerns about the Deskstar's reliability while others consider the Caviar Black to be too expensive. The Seagate Barracuda currently wins on price, but it's outperformed by the other two drives. I personally use the Deskstar drive in my system and I've had no problems with it so far.

Then again, I also use an SSD as my primary drive. Have you considered buying one?
 
Actually I HAVE considered an ssd but I don't know much about them or which one offers best bang for the buck. I just install it , Install windows to the SSD and put everything else (games etc) on the normal Hard drive right?
 
Last edited:
Yeah, that's generally the advice we give regarding SSDs.

To make things easier for you, order this SSD now:

$120 - Samsung 830 series 128GB SSD (use promo code EMCYTZT1899, which expires tonight at midnight)

$120 is a very good price for an SSD of that caliber.
 
Awesome just bought the corsair psu and ssd you recommended. So how am I looking with the HD 5850? Is it still a good card? Should I keep it until fall when the prices drop a little more on the 7950's? Oh and how does this SSD connect to the mobo? Just using sata?
 
How about you let us know whether or not the 5850 works for you after your upgrade?

What case do you have? The SSD uses a traditional SATA connection, but you may need some sort of adapter to mount it into the case.
 
I have 2 cases I can use a Cooler Master CM 690 II Advance, and a Raidmax Aeolus Gaming Mid-Tower Case.
 
Last edited:
Stick with the CM690 II Advanced. It should have a built-in bracket/adapter for an SSD.
 
Back
Top