New build stopped booting suddenly

Googer

n00b
First a quickie summary of the relevant hardware components (other parts are irrelevant because I've verified that even stripped down to just these the symptoms are no different ;)):

• Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R, BIOS rev F5e
  • Q6600 CPU
  • 2x1 GB Patriot LLK PC-6400 memory (though the problem as described below was no different when trying with a single 256 MB stick of Corsair ValueSelect I have laying around)
  • Corsair 620HX power supply
  • (eVGA 8800GTX)

-

The machine went together just fine and was in fact running just fine. I installed Vista x64, latest drivers, security updates, etc., all fine, On the final last successful boot of Vista, I had installed Easy Tune 5 (current version from Gigabyte's website) and was in the process of rebooting after that when the computer apparently froze (it was on the initial screen with the progress indicator at the bottom, when that just stopped and there was no longer any HD activity for the ~5 minutes that I waited). So I hit the reset button and....not much in the way of anything in terms of signs of life ever since.

Now upon each bootup (starting with when I hit the reset button that first time and now from all cold boot attempts as well), it spins the fans, etc., but then unexpectedly turns back off only around 4 seconds after I initially feed it power. Then it turns back on around 4 seconds after that. OK, so far this doesn't sound too unusual, because I'm used to seeing this when these newer boards decide they can't POST so they'll do a reset to stock settings. However, it's an endless loop! It just keeps powering up, powering down, powering up, powering down, .... endlessly. The only thing I'm unsure about is if there are any beeps occurring in the short time period that it is on since AFAIK the case (Antec P180B) doesn't have a speaker. ;)

I tried clearing the CMOS, hoping it was just that the BIOS settings had somehow gotten confused or somesuch upon trying to initialize Easy Tune 5 during that first reboot but no luck there - symptoms are still the same after doing the CMOS clearing.

As I noted above, I also tried different memory that I absolutely know boots @ 1.8V (since I had to use it to get myself out of a jam on my Gigabyte P965-DS3 board ;)) without that helping at all. I had been hoping that would be it even though I initially started out with the Patriot memory in there from the first boot, since I did upgrade the BIOS somewhere in there (from F3 to F5e) and my thought was that maybe for whatever reason, with F5e the MB was no longer capable of starting the Patriot memory @ 1.8V. :p A bad BIOS flash seems rather unlikely to me though since I know I rebooted several times after the flash before this problem started...

Finally, the I have the video card in parentheses above because I did even try a test with no video card inserted at all, though this made no difference at all and it was still in the endless power on / off loop...

Any thoughts? I've also contacted Gigabyte's tech support via their website to see what they think but no response yet...

Since noone replied to this I guess I will for a second. Might not help though.

I have the Gigabyte DS3L board and had the same thing happen to me. It looks like i had a PCI card in there (Rosewill RAID card IDE) and then took it out and bam. NO more reboots.

This same thing happened to me and it was just an endless cycle. I took out that card and everything is working.

I would try to see about taking out all of your add in cards first.

Ryan

That of course was one of the first things I tried. ;) After a decent amount of futzing around, exhausting just about every possibility I decided the MB had probably spontaneously gone belly-up and hence proceeded to RMA it. The system has been running fine for around 1 1/2 weeks so far with the replacement. <knock on wood> :D

hrmm.. well that is good to know. Cause I don't want to have to worry about that crap. If things go south I know what to do.

Just weird that the Rosewill in my case would do this. Since it is only a PCI card. Maybe I will try a different PCI slot and see what happens

Ryan

Back