New build, still having problems....any help?

Buztafen

Limp Gawd
Morning all,

Ok so im putting together the following parts:-

Q6600
Gigabyte Mobo GA-EP45-DQ6
2 x 2gb G.Skill
8800GTX
Tagan 600w PSU

I had a few problems with the mobo which Gigabyte fixed by way of a bios update.

Ive ran a few benchtests and all seems ok. First with just cpu and ram, posted fine, then with gpu and it booted ok on screen and stopped when asking for a Boot disk. So i connected my harddrive which already has a copy of XP on it with the thinking that im just going to wipe the disk and reinstall windows. I also connected a wireless usb kepboard and mouse.

First problem was the usb keyboard would register so i couldnt get into the bios to change the boot up to cd. So after the comp tried to start windows and failed it reset. I eventually got the keyboard working and managed to get into the bios and changed the boot settings. After saving & restarting the comp doesnt try booting from the cd though, it just gets past the initial Gigabyte screen and resets, it does this over an over.

Second problem is i cant get the keyboard to work anymore? The usb receiver is picking up keyboard as the wireless light is flashing but i cant get into the bios again, or any other menu. Is it best to start with a wired keyboard? The last time i built a comp this keyboard setup worked ok?

Any help will be appreciated, cheers.

When the USB keyboard fails to work, use a PS2 keyboard.
I always keep a spare PS2 KB for this situation.

See if you can get it to boot the CD without the hard drive plugged in, to prove the CD can boot.
If that fails, try a different CD or CD drive.
If neither of those work, try another data cable and/or IDE port.

Back