• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

New build Sound good?

bxmedic

n00b
Joined
Jul 16, 2009
Messages
5
This is my first post here so be gentle. I have been using a TT Kandolf LCS for the past 2ish years. It was a good setup to learn some stuff on but I want to build my own cooling for my next rig. This being my first home built, I was looking for some opinion.

The items I want to cool are:
Loop 1
1. CPU i7 920- Heatkiller 3.0
2 MB X58- EK-FB EVGA X58 Classified
Loop 2
1. GTX 295- Koolance VID-NX295 Dual board <(in current system) with Possible addition of second GTX 295 or 2 300 series later.

What I think I want to do is mod my LCS and replace all the stock WC stuff.
Loop 1
Replace the orig LCS system w/ a Swiftech MCR320-QP, MCP655 pump, and a Swiftech MCRES Micro.
Loop 2
Rear mounted Swiftech MCR220-QP, MCP355 pump and Swiftech MCRES Micro.

I would go with Fesser or Thermochill but I am trying to do this on a budget and the Swiftys are on sale everywhere. Noise is not a major factor for me but I would like to keep it w/ in reason. I am mostly wondering if this sufficient cooling power for some decent overclocks.
 
Dual loops really inst needed in your case. Just get good parts and you'll have more than enough cooling performance with a single loop.
 
I was thinking that after reading some more here on this forum. Can or should I setup like so:

3x120 Rad> Res> MCP655> Cpu> Chipset> 2x120 rad > Video card back to Rad?

Is that to much for one MCP655 pump? I am used to the TT P500 pump, of which I have smoked 3 so far. TT has been real nice about replacing them though.
 
Stay away from Thermaltake products in general IMO.

An MCP655 will cost you ~$80 http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmc12vdcpu.html

Depending on what size tubing and what fittings you are using you may way to get a new pump top for the MCP655 as the stock top has just 1/2" barbs.

There should not be a problem with the flow pattern you stated. My personal preference was to put the radiator after the pump as the pump does introduce additional heat into the water.
 
Cool. Yhea, the TT was a nice learner. I had some leaks to deal with, the CPU block was crap and the cooling was just a bit better than air. That's why I'm building my own this time. I actually just got an MCP655 NIB on fleabay and picked up a Black Ice xtreme II 240. Now all I need is the 360 rad and some tubing and I'll be ready to build. Oh, and I still need to get the Motherboard, CPU, RAM and HDDs ;)
 
Back
Top