• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

new build randomly powering down

akhoundog

n00b
Joined
Sep 8, 2014
Messages
44
build specs:
5960x (stock clocks)
asus x99 deluxe
evga gtx770sc 4gb x2
g.skill 32gb ddr4 2400mhz,
corsair h100i cooler
corsair ax1200i psu
windows 8.1


system randomly shuts off, it doesn't have an error or go blue screen. it just shuts off as if you flipped the switch on the PSU. It restarts no problem and windows doesn't have a recovery error.

cpu idles at 23 to 25c across all cores, during gaming it hovers around 55c and iv done an hour of prime95 and temps got up to around 70c. video cards vary in temp from 60c-70c in games regardless of fan speed. i ran 2 passes of memtest and yielded zero errors.

power down occurs regardless of system load, no pattern with cpu load, gpu load or HD usage, they occur maybe once every 6 hours of use.

I feel this is is PSU related and plan to pop my spare hx750 in there soon to test it out, you guys have any suggestions? Thanks for any direction.
 
PSU/mobo, swapping in the hx750 will give you a good idea which.

There could be some settings in the BIOS though, that cause immediate shutdown. Say you have it set to shut down if no CPU fan RPM is detected, and the RPM signal on the pump is intermitant. Or a temp sensor somewhere is wiggin out when it happens, etc...
 
I agree a hard power down sounds like the PSU is engaging some safety mechanism or faulty. Could be motherboard as well, as Vick stated try swapping the PSU and maybe remove one of the GTX770s to make sure you have enough power.
 
Thanks.

ill check the bios and then swap the psu. It's frustrating cause I had it overclocked at 4ghz from first day and it happend on the second day, i went back to stock speeds and haven't had an issue for a few days. time to pull all them damn wires.
 
1200w supply should be plenty for this build unless it's defective, i was running the same cards in my 4790k box with the hx750 no problems.
 
it's the power supply, thanks for the help.

just have to send it to newegg, hx750 is struggling tho... very warm.
 
Hi guys,
Im new to this forums. Manages to stumble accross it while looking for solutions.
I assumed it was a power issue aswell and purchased a 1000x corsair PSU.
Unfortunatly it is still happening.
I have checked the een logger with no results.
CPU,RAM & graphics test are all clean.
I have all essential parts running individually on the psu so I fear the same issue will happen to you again.
I have opened a ticket with Asus in regards to this matter so I will hopefully have some sort of answer tomorrow.

Regards,
Sheils
 
1 week on after the problem started and its solved.
The Bios decided to hammer up the CPU to 5gz so I dialed it back to 4 and boom.... Stable
 
Back
Top