New Build - Processor Question

mMike01

Weaksauce
Hi all, my 3 boys want a computer for christmas, so i figured it would be fun to buy the parts and have them (with me) to build it together.

I've put together this build https://pchound.com/E6fJnP/

It was originally planned to use an 8700K as the processor at 369.99. I was at mirocenter today comparing parts prices and i noticed they have a Core I7 8086K coffee lake 5ghz for only 10 dollars more at 379.99.

My question is, is it worth the extra 10 dollars for that processor? It seems like it is.

Additionally, is it worth it to wait for the 9th gen processor? Or would saving a few bucks be the way to go and stick with 8th gen?

Thanks in advance.

i would wait for the 9th gen 8c/8t cpus personally. hardware level fixes for some of the critical security flaws, improved node, and well, ITS NEWER! What a great idea to build PC's with your children, that sounds like a lot of FUN!!

Thanks for the reply. Looks like the 9700K is coming out in a few days and in the grand scheme of things, not priced too much higher than the I7 8086K. I agree, that would probably be the best option. Maybe microcenter will have a good cpu/MB deal when the CPU drops.

It looks like the 9700K is socket is an LGA1151 (series 300) like the processor i had in my pchound build. Does this mean the all the LGA 1151 motherboards available now for the 8700K (like the one in my build) will work with this 9th gen processor?

Thanks again.

yes sir, if the board you had chosen for your prior build was a z370 chipset, all 9th gens will work with that too

Personally think the Z390 Taichi would be a better buy, if it's as good as the Z370, then you have yourself a great mobo, it overclocks great, packed with ports and features and priced really good..

Is there gonna a be any banking or personal info on that PC? If not I wouldnt worry about the security flaws on hardware level. Save money get 8th gen or ryzen 2600x.

I looked at your build link.
Highly recommend changing to Ryzen 2600X.
In this scenario you could use the stock Ryzen cooler, and with the money saved from aftermarket cooler/intel build you can upgrade to GTX 1080Ti for same price.

1080ti plus 2600X will walk circles around gtx 1080/8700k

Cherry on top is later in 2019 you can sell the 2600X and replace with 7nm Ryzen in same motherboard.

Also, if you go Ryzen, make sure the ram is approved on motherboard vendor list and go 2x8GB not 4X4GB.

Back