New build problems

Knuckles5

n00b
I have recently put together a new computer. Everything is plugged but when turned on the monitory just goes to standby/power save. All the fans are working for the cpu fan, case fan, video card fan. The CD-R doesn't open or turn on. I Don't hear the harddrive spinning either.

I hooked up the CD-R and Hardrive on seperate ide cables or on the same with no luck. I changed ram slots.

specs
corsair 1g pc3200
biostar matx geforce 6100
6800xt pci-e
wd 120gb hd 7200rpm
amd 64 3000
19" LG lcd monitor
powersupply came with case 450w logisys https://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=140522

please help asap. thanks

1) Have you tested each of the parts in another computer?
2) Have you tried using a different power supply?

General Crespin said:
1) Have you tested each of the parts in another computer?
2) Have you tried using a different power supply?

i have not tested the other parts in a computer but i did try a different power supply and it was the same results. any other help?

John Gault said:
Double check the reset and power switch. Are you getting any bios beeps?
yeah i double checked, the reset and power switch are in the right place. I don't hear any beeps but i have some cheap speakers plugged into the back onboard sound jack.

the keyboard top lights also light up when it starts.

bios came up first time everything was plugged in, but when i put the xp cd in and restarted is when the problems started. the xp cd got stuck inside the cd-r and i had to use a paperclip to get it out, since then the cd-r hasn't been working, no lights or opening when pressed. Harddrive doesn't sound like it's on either, is it supposed to when starting in bios?

Same thing happened with my CD drive. Got stuck and used a paperclip, then it shorted out or something. I used a different molex and it worked okay...don't know if that has anything to do with your problem.

[H]Opterown said:
Same thing happened with my CD drive. Got stuck and used a paperclip, then it shorted out or something. I used a different molex and it worked okay...don't know if that has anything to do with your problem.
I have tried different molex's with no luck, i also tried to use a different monitor and still it goes into standby mode. could the motherboard be having problems? or perhaps the harddrive and cd-r are both dead? the harddrive makes no sounds and has no signs that its working, is this normal?

Back