New Build Problem

gab1707

n00b
My new build is giving me some problems. The computer when Idle after some time locks up. No bluescreen, no restart it just freezes. I ran memtest last night (all night) and it ran fine. No errors.

The system is:
800D with 4 case fans.
CPU:2600K (stock) with Corsair H100 with 4x Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe M12-P fans
Motherboard: Asus Maximus Extreme-Z
Memory: 16GB Vengeance
Video Card: 2 6870 in Crossfire Mode
PSU: Corsair 1000W
Soundcard: X-Fi
HDD: 2x Crucial M4 64GB in Raid 0, 3 1TB WD Black in Raid 5 ,1 128GB Crucial C300
Misc: 1 blueray drive & 1 dvdrw

I was thinking maybe it was the PSU but this problem is happening when the computer is idle.
Any suggestions?

Do you have the latest BIOS installed?
Do you have the latest drivers for everything?

If not, get 'em. If so, then I'd try minimizing the system, then adding things after each incremental wakeup from idle -- cuz you've got a LOT of components there. So remove all but one stick of RAM, the extra vidcard, the soundcard, all optical drives, and all other drives except your boot drive(s). If the system wakes up fine, I'd start adding in this order: RAM (one stick each increment), drives (one at a time if possible, opticals last), soundcard, then 2nd vidcard.

Although, have you checked your event log for any errors?
What power option settings do you have for idle? (do any drives power down? are the usb ports powered off? etc)

I remember some people with that problem with the intial batch of Asus P8P67s, but I can't remember what the fix was. Maybe disabling C3/C6? If you dig through that 300 page thread you might be able to find something about it. Not sure it applies to your situation, but could be informative, as that is the exact problem they were having (idle lockups).

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I will be trying your suggestions this weekend. Aehs01 temps are in the 38-40 range idle and never go more than 50-55 degrees at CPU max.

hmm try for shits and giggles setting the HDDs and sata devices to Staggered spinup, had this issue with an HX 850 with my system staggered spinup for whatever reason fixed it.

Back