• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New Build Problem with P5E-VM HDMI

JMcQueen

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 27, 2008
Messages
146
Hi, I've just done a new build with this board and having a problem. When I turn it on it refuses to post. It will start and just as its about to kick in to POST it'll shut down, pause, and then start again, shut down, pause and then restart. It just seems to cycle endlessly like this. Anyone got any ideas with this?
 
I'd start with your psu and make sure its all connected to everything properly. It'll help if you give us a complete rundown on the components you are using.
 
Other than the MB, the system is:

Corsair 520w PSU
E6750 Processor
NT-06L cooler
2x2gb OCZ DDR-800
1x 750gb Western Digital
1x 1tb Samsung
1x Pioneer Blu-Ray optical drive
Silverstone SG-03 case

I do have a spare silverstone ST60F PSU that I can try so will give it a go later. I would be dissapointed if the Corsair failed though given that its only a month old but having said that, I was using it in a previous build which, shortly before being dismantled would sometimes dim the monitor screen when switching between open windows and on boot as if it wasnt getting enough power to the GPU (onboard) but that was with a different motherboard.
 
Clear the CMOS. Should be the first thing you do every time you break the seal on a motherboard box. (Not sure what the exact procedure is for your motherboard, but in general, you need to close a jumper, or remove the battery for a few minutes, or both.)

It might not help, but it certainly won't hurt, and you want the default settings anyway.
 
Well, its not the PSU. Tried a silverstone one tonight and its still doing it. Got a new CPU arriving tomorrow. I'll nearly have enough spare parts to build a new PC out of this!!
 
Try with just 1 stick of ram. Are you sure your heatsink is seated right?
 
I think so, but its always dificult to tell with the NT-06. Tighten it too much and the motherboard can bend. I suppose I can try tightening it a little more.
 
No, it was the NT-06. I just tightened it to the point of just before the motherboard started to flex and now it works. First time thats happened to me, never realised it was so important to have it so tight.

Still, I've got an E8400 coming tomorrow which I'll keep anyway and swap out my E6750. It should run cooler than the E6750 and hopefully give a few more mhz. The E6750 can go in the rig im building out of my spare parts!
 
No shit, well at least you had the sticktoitiveness to try and figure it out as opposed to just doing the RMA.

Beer and cookie for you, job well done!!!:)
 
If you have a flagrant disregard for your warranty, it's perfectly OK to trim the "stubble" on the back of the motherboard (with a small knife or pair of clippers, nail clippers work great!). It's these few protruding parts that the NT-06 backplate is pressing against, which causes the motherboard to warp.
 
Nice I was right! ;) Glad to hear you got it working. Its a solid board. I am close to running 500 FSB. At 475 with 8400 atm.
 
The NT06 won't hurt the motherboard when it bends some, my Intel board's got some kinda bad flex going on with it when I don't have it bolted down, and it works 100% fine.
 
This is really bizarre! It turns out that it isnt the NT-06 but ONE screw used to attach the motherboard to the case. I put the screw in, it doesnt POST. Take the screw out, it works. I had to do the install one step at a time, starting the system after each screw or cable attachment. But this just doesnt make any sense.
 
This is really bizarre! It turns out that it isnt the NT-06 but ONE screw used to attach the motherboard to the case. I put the screw in, it doesnt POST. Take the screw out, it works. I had to do the install one step at a time, starting the system after each screw or cable attachment. But this just doesnt make any sense.
That's a strong indication that you're shorting some connection on the motherboard with that screw. Is it the screw, or the metal nut "standoff" on the front side of the motherboard? (Nothing should be touching on the back, since you have the backplate, which has a foam backing.)

There should be some thin clear plastic washers that go between the metal nut standoff and the front of the motherboard; at least there were in mine. Did you install these?
 
well, ive removed the offending screw and just secure it the motherboard to the case using the remaining holes. It wasnt one of the CPU cooler mounting holes/screws but one of the run-of-the-mill mounting screws for fixing the board to the case.

It could have been the standoff I guess. I dont recall seeing any plastic washers but will have another look later.
 
Oh, I see. Didn't parse it right. Yeah, if your motherboard is only mounted via 8 screws instead of 9, I doubt it will cause you too many problems.
 
Just another question about this board, how do you disable speedstep? The option in BIOS isnt there as described in the manual. I'm running the latest bios too.
 
Back
Top