• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

New build powersupply suggestions

AliceCooper

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 25, 2007
Messages
1,478
Ok guys I am looking to build a new computer when Ivy Bridge comes out. Right now I'm putting a 2500k in place of an ivy bridge processor because I'm sure the 22nm processor won't use more power, most likely less. Anyways here's the build specs and I would like to know if the power supply I picked out would be good enough.

Intel 2500k OCed to 4.8ghz
8GB Corsair Vengence 1600mhz ( 2 x 4GB )
MSI Z68A-GD55 motherboard
2 x Sapphire Flex 6950 2GB (unlocked to 6970) <--- will probably be a 7000 series when they come out, but like with the processor just putting these in as place holders.

I have an Antec True Power Trio 650watt right now, my friend suggested I upgrade, I used a PSU calculator and it said I only need 613watts with all my fans and stuff for this setup. Should I step up to the 850watt Seasonic SS-850HT?
 
There are better deals available than the ss-850ht, however your PSU does have enough power to support a 6970 CFX setup specially with that non demanding CPU, you need to try that first and see what you get:)
 
There are better deals available than the ss-850ht, however your PSU does have enough power to support a 6970 CFX setup specially with that non demanding CPU, you need to try that first and see what you get:)

Lol ok sounds good, just wanted other peoples input since my friend who helped me with my first computer build was saying I was pretty insane thinking of running CFX on a 650 with an OCed cpu lol.
 
Lol ok sounds good, just wanted other peoples input since my friend who helped me with my first computer build was saying I was pretty insane thinking of running CFX on a 650 with an OCed cpu lol.

SandyB is not a particularly demanding CPU even when seriously overclocked.. any premium 650W PSU will run a 6970 CFX setup with no issue, however your PSU is pretty old which can translate into lower power output than rated(capacitor degradation depending on use in these 4-5 years since it was made).. you simply need to test it and see if it will run Furmark and Prime/LinX without shutting down(if you could also test the voltages with a multimeter it would be excellent).
 
SandyB is not a particularly demanding CPU even when seriously overclocked.. any premium 650W PSU will run a 6970 CFX setup with no issue, however your PSU is pretty old which can translate into lower power output than rated(capacitor degradation depending on use in these 4-5 years since it was made).. you simply need to test it and see if it will run Furmark and Prime/LinX without shutting down(if you could also test the voltages with a multimeter it would be excellent).

Don't they only age if they are in use? Because this powersupply hasn't even been out of the box for 5 months yet lol. My dad had it laying around and said I could have it since he got a TX750. Been completely wrapped until he gave it to me lol I'm the first to use it :).
 
Don't they only age if they are in use? Because this powersupply hasn't even been out of the box for 5 months yet lol. My dad had it laying around and said I could have it since he got a TX750.

:)
It really depends on the capacitor quality and the use pattern, caps don't degrade if they don't get hot(quality caps that is).. so depending on how it was used, it can be in a pretty poor shape or excellent shape, age being a factor of little importance if quality caps are involved and the PSU was always in a reasonably cool environment.

Either way, you should be ok with it:)
 
:)
It really depends on the capacitor quality and the use pattern, caps don't degrade if they don't get hot(quality caps that is).. so depending on how it was used, it can be in a pretty poor shape or excellent shape, age being a factor of little importance if quality caps are involved and the PSU was always in a reasonably cool environment.

Either way, you should be ok with it:)

Well if I remember right, these PSU's were something fantastic back in the day, I had one running for over 3 years with no problems. So I think it will be good, but it will come down to making an actual test run. Just waiting to see more stuff come out on the new stuff coming. Really looking forward to the 600 nvidia or the 7000 ATI stuff plus Ivy bridge.
 
Back
Top