• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New build please critique.

SoulflyFan

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
422
Hello all, my current 4400 amd build is showing its age and slowly dieing... Anyway I've been out of the loop for a little bit and decided to throw around 450 towards a new build. I plan on reusing my HDD's and Power supply since well they're still good and useful. Here is what I picked out.

CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215

Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130248

Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193

At first I wasn't sure to get a 661 but after reviewing the article put up it seems a better choice would be the 750. The motherboard seems to be a mid of the line one, I was orginaly going to go with a MSI GD80. But, it is out of my price range. Memory is just that, cheap and there.

Now is there anything I should reconsider? Or should this build work pretty well? Also, how much of a performance increase would I see from my old setup to this in most games?

Thanks!
 
All 3 are fine choices. Cannot go wrong with the i5-750, best bang for the buck still IMO. Gskill makes great memory and the DDR3 1600 speed will give you a little headroom if you decide to overclock. The motherboard is a solid choice as well, but if you ever think you might go CF or SLI ever, the GD65 is just a bit more and offer 8x speeds for the second PCI-E instead of 4x, otherwise the GD55 is good.
 
All 3 are fine choices. Cannot go wrong with the i5-750, best bang for the buck still IMO. Gskill makes great memory and the DDR3 1600 speed will give you a little headroom if you decide to overclock. The motherboard is a solid choice as well, but if you ever think you might go CF or SLI ever, the GD65 is just a bit more and offer 8x speeds for the second PCI-E instead of 4x, otherwise the GD55 is good.

Thanks for that, Yea, I don't really forsee me using SLI with the somewhat low resolution I have now. It wouldn't be cost effective for me to buy another video card as well as a new power supply. Do you think the stock heatsink should be able to do a overclock to 3.5 fairly easy?
 
Thanks for that, Yea, I don't really forsee me using SLI with the somewhat low resolution I have now. It wouldn't be cost effective for me to buy another video card as well as a new power supply. Do you think the stock heatsink should be able to do a overclock to 3.5 fairly easy?

Maybe but likely it will be running hot. I'd get something a bit better if it is in your budget. Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus can be had for $25-28 and easily the best cooler out there until you step up to the Cogage True Spirit at around $45 with the socket 1156 kit and of course if you spend more there are better. Plus the Hyper 212 runs nice and quiet.
 
Hmm, well it cant be as loud as my zalman i hope, ill look at it. If i pick this up I'm assuming i can clock to 3.8 depending on the chip easy right?
 
It offers one of the best price to performance ratios. I definitely plan to give the I5 a go with it. Here's a review with some charts if you want to check it out.

http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3210&p=6

I don't know how loud the 9700 is. The AC7 is pretty quiet at low speed. When it ramps up it's unacceptable to me (I am picky) but by no means is it an annoying tone. It by far is more pleasant sounding than the stock cooler. I plan to use it for a bit when I get my new build too, but if you are going for silent don't get it and save for better. Say a ninja with nexus fan would be really good.

Right now my power supply makes more noise than the AC7. It's a good hold over for now and it rolls up there with the best of them.
 
Sure I would think that you should be able to based on what you have listed, with my i5-750, Gskill and Hyper 212 I can do 4Ghz stable. It does get a little hot for my tastes at 4Ghz and 1.35v (80c), so I am keeping it at 3.8ghz and 1.3v. Playing games I see temps with coretemp hit in the low to mid 50's and idles at 37c. OCCT or Prime95 peaks out at about 69c which is not bad for a i5-750 at 3.8ghz packed in a Antec P180 Case which is decent for cooling , but certainly not the best case for it.

If you go with the AC Freezer 7 Pro, you need the Rev 2 to fit the i5's:
http://hi-techreviews.com/index.php...78-arctic-cooling-freezer-7-pro-rev-2?start=3

There are lots of CM hyper 212 + reviews out there, but here is an example:
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/2904/cooler_master_hyper_212_plus_cpu_cooler/index6.html
 
Last edited:
Allright i through the AC7 in there from the egg, Hopefully now I wont lag in my games now haha. I cant wait to see my performance increase though it should be amazing.
 
Heck yeah good luck with that man! I bet your stoked for that little I5 beast I know I am :D
 
Heck yeah good luck with that man! I bet your stoked for that little I5 beast I know I am :D

Yea, I started to notice a major slowdown in WoW of all things. It was very laggy but i had everything up and view distance was HUGE so I figured time for an upgrade.
 
i just seen your handle. im sure an o/c'd i5 with the alc889 audio will sound real good while playing Eye For An Eye :D
 
i just seen your handle. im sure an o/c'd i5 with the alc889 audio will sound real good while playing Eye For An Eye :D

Well I have my HT Omega striker to throw in there, I hate onboard sound as well as creative sound cards but thats a different story. Thanks for all the help guys, ill be sure to post when I get it up and running!
 
Back
Top