New Build or Wait?

alik4041

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
1,316
have literally been going crazy about this. I have waited and waited (ever since FX-57 came out). Everytime I want to upgrade, something new comes out. This has happened to the point that my pc is not much upgradeable anymore because price/performance would not do it justice. Feels like generations have passed lol. From P4->Pent. D->C2D --- AGP-> PCI-E (maybe even PCI-E 2) --- DDRI -> DDRII -> DDRIII (soon to come). So as you can see, I feel very much behind.

There are many reasons why I have been delayed in upgrading. Mostly it has been just the incredible speed in which new products are coming out again, again, and again. I was planning on building my new PC 3 weeks ago, but guess what... something new was coming out...I know that if you hold off on buying something for too long just to wait for something new to come out, you will never buy anything at all. I have tried not to do this, but have become a bit paranoid in buying something and then having a new product come out a month or even week later.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1165068

I was so sure about buying this PC until I was informed that prices of all intel CPUs would fall dramatically. Ontop of this, I've been having a problem choosing a PSU for this build. Finally when I decided on the PC P&C 750 Silencer (I don't know why, but I still had doubt), I was told to wait for the new revision with an 8+6pin connector for the new coming GPUs. My current PC is as follows:

P4 s478 3.0ghz
Gigabyte 865PE
Kingston HyperX DDR333 PC2700 2-2-2-5
WD Raptor WD740GD
Antec 480w TrueBlue
Creative Audigy LS
X850Pro (flashed XT PE)
Antec 900

My question is (may sound stupid), should I upgrade now or wait another month or two? I also would appreciate any recommendations for PSU or any other parts. I really want to thank everyone in advance. If you had patience to read all of this then thanks :p
 

Technoob

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 21, 2006
Messages
5,641
You can never future proof, nor get to a perfect equilibrium where nothing better will come out after you upgrade, however the end of april will be a very good time to upgrade:

AMD price cuts
Intel price cuts + new processors released
ATI releases their dx10 cards
Nvidia releases their new DX10 series mid range cards

All that = price drops, new options, and competition in GFX cards for more price drops.
 

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Sep 25, 2003
Messages
11,109
You can never future proof, nor get to a perfect equilibrium where nothing better will come out after you upgrade, however the end of april will be a very good time to upgrade:

AMD price cuts
Intel price cuts + new processors released
ATI releases their dx10 cards
Nvidia releases their new DX10 series mid range cards

All that = price drops, new options, and competition in GFX cards for more price drops.
agreed
 

alik4041

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
1,316
Thanks guys. I knew this stuff, but was still not sure if I was making the better choice of waiting some more. I'm probably going to choose the Q6600 > E6600 since the price of the Q6600 will drop to ~$300 or so. BTW, price cuts are due for 22nd, I want to buy during that week or the next. GPUs don't even have their release dates yet. Would it be wise to choose something like a 7900gs or so from the FS/FT thread just until something new comes out? this is an upgrade from an X850XT PE.
 

Technoob

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 21, 2006
Messages
5,641
I was going to get an 8800, but figured I'll just get an EVGA 7900 gs, and use the step up in 3 months if something better is out for cheaper.
 
Top