New Build, Old PSU?

Full disclosure, this is my first build in years. I'm still getting up to speed on where technology has gone over the past 4-5 years.

I'm about to rebuild my HTPC into a central box for the home. It will perform some minor HTPC duties (will not be a TV Tuner/DVR) but will primarily serve as the home cloud for the family, audio entertainment through my main receiver, storage for the piles of music and photos I have and convenience web browsing while lounging on the couch. Essentially, it'll peform the same entertainment duties my HTPC does now, but will also be the new home mainframe with remote capability.

I'll be gutting everything in the box in my footer, but I love the CM Media 260 case I have and want to re-use it. Most HTPC cases are twice as tall, and this fits perfectly in my entertainment cabinet in my living room. I only have the need for a single PCI-e slot for video, which this case can accomodate fine. I'll likely be going i7, despite my disdain for conformity (I used to only build AMD rigs).

The current PSU in there is an enermax 400x Liberty with modular cables, and I had tremendous luck with hose PSUs. I've installed 5 of them, all quiet, reliable, and very long term, always on performers. My main box has a 720w Enermax, that's been an always on PC for 7 years. Rock solid.

So long story short, can/should I reuse it? It seems to be enough juice for the new build, which is a much lower power user than the older AMD platforms. Money's not really an object, but seems like a waste of money to replace a perfectly good psu that I've had such good luck with.

You should be able to use it, but you may have to disable C6/C7 states in the BIOS. That's basically the ultra-low-power mode in Haswell. I'm using an old Antec EA650 and it's working like a champ with a Z97/4770k build, but I had to disable C6/C7 because it would BSOD occasionally when returning from sleep.

Back