New Build ... Old Parts (Noise Issues Resolved)

jomanos

n00b
I'm upgrading my current workstation (circa 2006-2010) with a Ryzen build using the 1800x.

Current Workstation:

CPU: Intel Quad-Core 2.66Ghz 2.13Ghz
CPU Cooler: Tuniq
MB: Gigabyte
Memory: Gskill 8GB
GPU: Nvidia Quadro FX3700
OS Drive: Crucial SSD 128GB
Other hard drives: Two WD 150GB Raptors in Raid0 using 3Ware controller
Case: Lian-Li
Two Monitors: NEC LCD2070NX, Dell 3007WFP
Power: Corsair HX-620W

New Workstation:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 3.6GHz
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62 (Push/Pull)
MB: AsRock Taichi x370
Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 @2666Mhz
GPU: Nvidia Quadro FX3700 or Nvidia GTX 1070FE (or both) (will be buying the Quadro P5000 at a later date, maybe)
OS Drive: Samsung 960 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD 512GB
Other hard drives: Two WD Black 4TB, Crucial SSD 128GB
Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 (not the pro)
Four monitors: NEC LCD2070NX, Dell 3007WFP (and two others, haven't decided)
Power: Corsair RM750i

Repurposing old parts:

I'll be using the Crucial SSD as a scratch disk, the Quadro GPU until I upgrade to the P5000, and the two older monitors.

Would there be any benefit in making use of the two Raptor 150GB drives with the 3Ware controller? I'm guessing modern SSDs out-perform these 10k hard drives even in hardware Raid0.

Multiple monitors with multiple GPUs:

I want to continue to use the older Quadro FX3700 card (PCI-e 2.0 x16) until I upgrade to a more recent Quadro. But, I want to add two additional monitors to the workstation.

When using two GPUs in the Taichi board, as is typical, the cards will run in 3.0 x8 mode. In my case, since this won't be a SLI setup, I am trying to figure out the throughput available when using the 1070 with the FX3700.

Based on wikipedia:

34980310426_ba75ee82e9_b.jpg

The throughput bandwidth of a PCI-e 2.0 x16 equals the bandwidth of a PCI-e 3.0 card running at x8. Does this mean that my FX3700 Quadro will run at full bandwidth in the first x16 or second x16 slot of the motherboard?

I would normally just call technical support at AsRock for such a question, but they don't provide phone support.

My initial thought is yes. But, there must be catch.

Last edited:
There's no point to reusing the 3Ware card and the Raptors. Even a cheap SSD will eat them for breakfast in every benchmark and real-world use case. Nothing but extra power, complexity and noise that you don't need. If it were me, I wouldn't spend the extra cash on the 960 Pro. Get the 960 Evo. It's around 95% of the performance of the Pro, at a far cheaper cost. And you're NEVER going to notice that performance real-world, you'll only see it in benchmarks.

Both your cards should work fine at x8. It's very unlikely you'd notice any difference between running them at x16 or x8, even with the top-of-the-line cards, there's only a 1-2% difference at most, and that's only in certain games at >4k. The older Quadro card will not support PCIE 3.0, so it will be running at 2.0, but even still, you're probably not going to be able to notice a difference.

are you re-using your PSU, if you are how old is it and what is the make and model

If it were me, I wouldn't spend the extra cash on the 960 Pro. Get the 960 Evo. It's around 95% of the performance of the Pro, at a far cheaper cost. And you're NEVER going to notice that performance real-world, you'll only see it in benchmarks.

Thanks for the recommendations, but, I already bought it. I have pretty much all the parts.

are you re-using your PSU, if you are how old is it and what is the make and model

No. Replacing a Corsair HX-620W with a Corsair RM750i.

34877806872_71e7626908_c.jpg

Will be updating this thread with pictures as I work on the build.

Well, I got the build functioning last night. Updated the Bios to 2.30. Installed WinPro10 and got it activated. Haven't had a chance to mess too much with the Bios to tweak or OC.

My one big problem right now though, is the horrific rattling noise being made by the NZXT Kraken x62 pump. Just mind-numbing.

As you can see from the photo below, I installed the CPU block upside down in order to keep the pump tubing from hitting the memory modules. (More photos of the build: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm1TCWQi)

34313987573_29bd069c52_c.jpg

Here is the sound file of the noise: https://www.dropbox.com/s/buszhago27nubz4/Kraken_x62_noise.mp3?dl=0

I opened a support ticket with NZXT and provided them with the sound file as requested.

I'm a bit perplexed by this. The installation seems fine. The CPU block is secured firmly to the MB backplate. The temps in the Bios aren't out of the ordinary. Windows loads fine, no issues with lag while using the mouse. No freezes.

My only guess is this is a Bios voltage issue and not an installation issue.

Any ideas?

I ordered the Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 from amazon as backup plan in case I have to RMA this AIO.

Does the noise change or stop if you lay the case on it's back or side?

I worked on larger impeller pumps for heating and cooling systems in homes and in my experience a noisy pump has either something physically stuck in the impeller like a piece of plastic or metal, or the impeller it's self has some how become unbalanced and it rattling when spinning , either it is slipping off it's shaft or it has a major defect in the impeller it's self causing it to rattle so much it is making noise, lastly it could be a bad motor on it's death bed as it destroys the precious bearings responsible for smooth function.

you definitely should find another cooling solution in the mean time and send that cooler back for RMA if you can, using it even if it still moves water for now could be bad, i'm my experience pumps that were left to run with issues like a lot of operation noise could cease, and when they cease the motor still tries to work but just generates heat and eventually melts the seals letting almost boiling water spill out of the pump, now this was with pumps using 120v line voltage and 0.3 amp operating draw so a AIO cooler could be safe from this, i don't know but if it was me i would pull that out right now just incase

EDIT: just listen to the sound file and i would say the impeller is probably unbalanced and it rattling hard, this will destroy the motor for sure, I just took a quick listen in case it was air bubbles you were hearing and that is definitely not air unless it is completely air locked but you would have 0 water movement if that was the case, also moving you pump on it's side/and around would solve that if it was air locked also like i said you would have no water movement meaning you CPU temp would get hot after a few mins of operation

pls let me know if your CPU is being cooled by the pump, there could be a airlock in the rad, but I don't think that could happen, I'm pretty sure they are deigned for that orientation and should work fine how the rad currently is

Last edited:
Nope. No difference. Just tried that.

With a sealed system like this, it's much like others have said, you're stuck. It's either a broken, misaligned or bent impeller or rotor in the pump, so it's not something you can fix. RMA it and get a new one.

I would say don't judge the product based on a single bad unit. Even the best company has some hardware failures every now and then. Judge them on the RMA process and how well the replacement unit works.

Well, I'm a dumbass. It turned out to be my Quadro Graphics Card. It seems I dislodged the small fan in some way that it rattled while spinning.

Replaced the Kraken x62 with the Noctua and the noise persisted. Replaced the Quadro with an old passive Geforce 7950GT. No noise.

Also, feel like a complete ***hole for blaming NZXT for the noise. Mea culpa.

Took apart the graphics card and will re-apply thermal paste on the GPU. And replace the old thermal pads.

Getting good temps with the Noctua, so I might just stick with this air cooler instead of re-installing the Kraken x62. Don't know whether to go ahead and return the Kraken. Will think about this for a bit.

Back